Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm happy so far with the success of the Cubs

but their bullpen scares me

here is the latest effort by MLB to fight the virus and salvage the season:

QuoteQuote:
10:19 a.m.
MLB tightens coronavirus rules, requiring masks in dugouts and compliance officers1After coronavirus outbreaks forced Major League Baseball to postpone 21 games over the first two weeks of its season, it is strengthening its protocols, including requiring players and staff to wear face coverings at all times, except for players on the field of play.

Teams were informed of the changes in a memo obtained by the Associated Press, which said teams were told that repeated or flagrant violations could cause a team to be banned for the rest of the 2020 season and/or postseason.

Players are required to wear masks while in the dugout or bullpen, something MLB’s operations manual had not stipulated before. Since games have begun, most players have not worn masks in the dugout and have been shown exchanging high fives, failing to observe social distancing and spitting. The memo also indicates that umpires must wear masks at all times, unless they cannot do their jobs.

Each team’s compliance officer will enforce protocols, which require players and staff members to wear face coverings at all times in hotels and public places, including on team buses and airplanes. While on the road, teams must provide a large private room or ballroom where staff members and players can get food and maintain social distancing. Players who want to leave the team hotel must get approval from their compliance officer.

Teams are being told to limit the size of their traveling parties to essential personnel and to have unoccupied rows on team buses and to maintain distance seating on flights.

Teams also must provide covered outdoor spaces and areas where players for both teams can maintain social distance during weather delays rather than hanging out in their clubhouses.

Covid live updates: Ohio Gov. DeWine says tests positive for coronavirus - The Washington Post

08-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No major league teams here. Just the AAA Rochester Red Wings. Their new stadium occupies a parking lot once filled with Kodak employee vehicles near Kodak Office in downtown Rochester. If you are a fan of the TV show M.A.S.H., one of the teams they play is the Toledo Mud Hens. Their old stadium almost made it as the filming location of movie "The Natural".

Tickets are pretty inexpensive. Not sure of camera regulations. Never took one there. They are one level below "The Bigs". They are currently the farm team of the Minnesota Twins. Past affiliations are the Orioles and the St. Louis Cardinals. Stan Musial played his first pro games as a Red Wing when he was 17 so some notable players have come through Rochester over the years. They have been around since 1877. Still in the same city.

Only six pro teams have been in the same city since the 19th century. The Cincinnati Reds, the St. Louis Cardinals, The Pittsburgh Pirates, the Philadelphia Phillies the Chicago Cubs and our Rochester, Red Wings. Been a few years since I went to a game.

This is the last baseball game I went to. They use 1870's rules and the games are fun to watch. A lot more action than a modern game. The hurler (pitcher) is supposed to throw the ball so that the batter can hit it. No called balls or strikes unless the pitcher cannot get it over the plate, or the batter lets too many good pitches go by.

08-09-2020, 05:59 AM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
there appears to be trouble

" . . . right here in River City . . . "

original plan - 60 games in 66 days

now the Cardinals 55 games ( at a minimum ) in 49 days due to postponed games due to positive tests for the virus

if I were a betting man ( no $ to bet, all goes to photography )

MLB won't make it

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-09-2020 at 06:06 AM.
08-09-2020, 06:45 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
there appears to be trouble

" . . . right here in River City . . . "

The Music Man - Trouble... right here in River City! - YouTube

original plan - 60 games in 66 days

now the Cardinals 55 games ( at a minimum ) in 49 days due to postponed games due to positive tests for the virus

if I were a betting man ( no $ to bet, all goes to photography )

MLB won't make it
Hockey seems OK so far. Baseball should have been in a bubble, but no - Playersí Union canít have that.

Self-centered multi-millionaire jerks just canít stay away from bars. I havenít been out of my house other than the grocery store since March 12th but these gods canít stay away from a Budweiser. If I were Bill DeWitt Iíd just shut it down and send them all home without pay. Iím finished with sports. Theyíre false idols. This is what happens when you worship false idols.

@#$%^ the players. I feel sorry for the 2,500 part-time employees.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-09-2020 at 06:58 AM.
08-09-2020, 06:53 AM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hockey seems OK so far. Baseball should have been in a bubble.

Multi-millionaire jerks just can’t stay away from bars. If I were Bill DeWitt I’d just shut it down and send them all home without pay.
be careful, you appear to be assuming that those exposed to the virus who then exposed others

were highly paid players as opposed to necessary staff who aren't

as far as I know no one has released info on who brought the infection to those exposed

it may be players or coaches or staff

but on the other hand, you may have better knowledge about the Cardinals' situation than I do ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-09-2020 at 07:02 AM.
08-09-2020, 07:25 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
be careful, you appear to be assuming that those exposed to the virus who then exposed others

were highly paid players as opposed to necessary staff who aren't

as far as I know no one has released info on who brought the infection to those exposed

it may be players or coaches or staff

but on the other hand, you may have better knowledge about the Cardinals' situation than I do ?
  1. They’re all millionaires - players, coaches and staff
  2. The initial vector - the Cardinals say - was an “associate outside the testing perimeter.” You can interpret that.
  3. Outside the testing perimeter? Who decided to let that happen? Wife or girlfriend?
  4. Contact tracing inside the club has identified the vectors that spread the virus.
  5. Many players and associates are standing on medical privacy so they won’t fully tell who or how.
  6. We know the team flew on a charter flight out of Milwaukee, where they self-isolated for two days (instead of 14).
  7. Many players went home to their families instead of self-isolating.
What a mess. IMO the Cardinals will be dropped from play and the MLB schedule rearranged. If this happens one more time the season is over.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-09-2020 at 09:34 AM.
08-09-2020, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Brooklyn Cyclones play in the New York-Penn League which has cancelled their 2020 season.
A small consolation is that the NY Mets affiliate will remain league champions for an additional year.

Chris