Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
cataract and dominant eye

I started gradually losing sight in my right eye.
My left eye was always dominate and used for taking photos.
Last THU the cataract was removed from my right eye.
Still have some bright flashes and image is bluish but hey, the image is incredibly bright and vibrant so...
Now I realised that my left eye image looks dull will need to have an operation , the lens needs to be replaced but in the meantime what is the best way of dealing with the current situation?
I need to wait 4 weeks for my right eye to fully recover then I could do my left eye operation.
I do not have the dominant eye any more , should I change to my right eye for taking photos, it feels not right?
Anyone went through this , any advice?
Or I just should stop taking photos till my left eye will get fixed ( 8 weeks + ) ?

08-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your left eye has always been your picture taking eye why not keep that going at least until the right eye has fully healed. Then switch over to the right eye until the left eye operation has completely healed.

My right eye has always been dominate but I have intentionally trained both eyes for picture taking. Right (dominate) is still more natural but with some work I can use either with equal efficiency.

Switching to your right eye in 4 weeks I can tell you there will be a learning curve but with practice it is doable. And when the process is finished perhaps you will be able to use both eyes for pictures.
08-17-2019, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I started gradually losing sight in my right eye.
My left eye was always dominate and used for taking photos.
Last THU the cataract was removed from my right eye.
Still have some bright flashes and image is bluish but hey, the image is incredibly bright and vibrant so...
Now I realised that my left eye image looks dull will need to have an operation , the lens needs to be replaced but in the meantime what is the best way of dealing with the current situation?
I need to wait 4 weeks for my right eye to fully recover then I could do my left eye operation.
I do not have the dominant eye any more , should I change to my right eye for taking photos, it feels not right?
Anyone went through this , any advice?
Or I just should stop taking photos till my left eye will get fixed ( 8 weeks + ) ?
I had cataract surgery to both eyes, one week apart this past April. My surgeon explained that my right eye, which was my dominant eye, will still be the dominant eye once both lenses have settled in.

You might want to clarify your concern with your surgeon.

My procedure and recovery has been a breeze. I joked with my surgeon, who’s also a good photographer, that my eyes have an increase in brightness of at least 3 stops and the colors now remind me of my days shooting with Kodachrome

Good luck!
08-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another problem, the diopter adjustment is all over the place.
It is optimised for my left eye with glasses, my current glasses are useless with my right eye, my right eye without glasses will need a new diopter setting.
Hmm , the same problem with my laptops....
With glasses my left eye ok, the right totally out of focus.
Without glasse , the right eye very good ( laptops / TV , not for close ups) , left eye out of focus.
So should I just stop my life for 8 weeks??

08-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ROFL.

Not sure if it helps but I have found the last couple years if I read with my Kindle for more than 30 minutes I cannot focus at a distance, so driving is scary. I have learned to read with only one eye open and then if I need to go someplace open both eyes for driving. For some reason everything is in focus then. My eye doctor said that is OK, they even do that sometimes with laser surgery make one eye focus close up and one eye far away. It sounds weird but he says it works.

Hope it all goes right for you.
08-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Another problem, the diopter adjustment is all over the place.
It is optimised for my left eye with glasses, my current glasses are useless with my right eye, my right eye without glasses will need a new diopter setting.
Hmm , the same problem with my laptops....
With glasses my left eye ok, the right totally out of focus.
Without glasse , the right eye very good ( laptops / TV , not for close ups) , left eye out of focus.
So should I just stop my life for 8 weeks??
basically yes

and concentrate on what your doctor tells you to do

IMHO, that is the smartest thing to do

I had both my lenses replaced due to cataracts and choose to have both eyes set for far vision

I use reading glasses for close in work

good luck to you
08-17-2019, 06:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should do what feels right at the time, you can change the diopter anytime, and it's not that hard to switch viewfinder eyes, but you have to consciously think about it. And you might think about using a tripod exclusively for a few weeks and use live view.
08-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #8
Ooh! Shiney! Me Want!
Loyal Site Supporter

When I had my cataracts removed everything was bright and had a bluish cast as you describe. That’s because the occlusion (the cataract) blocks light and the lenses have yellowed with age. Your brain has to learn not to compensate for the yellow, so you have a blue shift for a few weeks. AFA brightness, my pupils have never really adjusted. Coming into a dark area from bright light I must stop walking until my eyes adjust.

I had stopped shooting with my right eye because the cataract was just too thick. I was shooting left-eye with glasses. Now - with Diopter adjustment - I can shoot right eye without glasses. On K-1 with its big, bright viewfinder I can use MF lenses focusing through the OVF. I paid no attention to dominant eye. I just shot with whichever eye worked.

My experience was contrary to what you are experiencing. I only stopped shooting until the temporary sunglasses came off. IIRC just a few days.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-17-2019 at 06:45 PM.
08-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #9
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From another posting of mine:

I am left-eye dominant and wear eyeglasses, and up to recently I have always photographed using my left eye to view the image. This applied to rangefinders and D/SLRs. I always felt that my right eye was never that well corrected. Pushing the camera against the glasses to view with my left eye did tend to push the frames out of kilter.

One exception: In the late early 60's I owned a Nikon SP rangefinder which had a 1:1 viewfinder. This allowed you to keep both eyes open and see the area surrounding what the camera saw so that you could anticipate what would happen next. A great feature, but only if you held the camera to your right eye and kept the left eye open as well. I actually tried using contact lenses to enable me to view with my right eye when using the SP. It was great except that I could not adapt to the contact lenses and had to give them up; they were the hard kind. As an aside, I never understood why Leica didn't do the same 1:1 viewfinder thing.

My glasses until recently were always hardened glass, so pushing the camera against them was not an issue. Two things happened. Hardened glass lenses were getting harder to get. Plastic lenses had a much greater risk of being scratched, but I had to purchase plastic ones for my most recent pair. But I also had cataract surgery done on my right eye, making the right eye vision much better, even without glasses (since then the left eye has also been done). What I do now is wear a retainer cord on my glasses so that I can drop them when I go to take a photo using my right eye for viewing and focusing. The viewfinder adjustment on my various cameras is sufficient to correct my right eye viewing vision.

Added: I should add that I changed to right-eye viewing as described in the preceding paragraph about a year before my left eye was operated on. I still occasionally put the camera to my left eye and then drop my glasses and change eyes. I can also see the entire viewfinder contents which was not possible with my glasses on.

Last edited by cpk; 08-18-2019 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph.