Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2019, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #31
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is the problem

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
On the basis that a "picture says a thousand words" I prefer to let the image speak for itself.
I see this attitude among the so-called "Artsy/Serious" wanna-be's and it drives me nuts.
At least put the location - ya know - city, state/provence, general area, continent, planet .... you get my drift.
Pictures with no context are just that - pictures that if they raise questions - just can't answer the most simple ideas. Who is this (does not have to be specific to a person but in general), where is this (throw us a bone, give us a hint) and possibly why is this.

When I take pictures of doors and other such trivia, at least there are clues as to where it is.

---------- Post added 08-19-19 at 06:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
And EXIF only says what gear you use. It doesn't tell anyone what kind of bird that is you shot.
Since I am using a K-3II, for the most part I leave in the GPS so you can look it up if you are interested. If you don't know how to do that, well then read the file name - I tend to label things or add in keywords (the Instagram generation calls them "tags")

---------- Post added 08-19-19 at 06:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I wonder if most of you know a laptop only has a 10/100 network card inside? Most do and that can cause slow internet speeds. Where a desktops. NIC is 10/100/1000. And means faster internet speeds.

If you use a laptop to cruise the net or upload photos the slower NIC is the cause.
Most laptops do not have NIC's anymore as they are wireless. Wireless is inherently slower than ethernet. And even the ethernet connections are subject to the slowest component. Just go work for a large company and have your internet provider have a router puke three or four hops away. Everything drops to the lowest speed device. Pipe size matters.

For instance, I was working at a site that had a world wide private network managed by one of the big telecoms. Well, we negotiated a new contract and the old contractor decided to drop our Fiber interconnect between the US and Europe to a "more efficient" link. So instead of running over fiber across the Atlantic we were switched to a combination of satellite and old copper cables. Needless to say our business connectivity (and our software development teams) were none too happy. We lost the equivalent of several days of dev time since our global software repositories could not be synced.

I live with a DSL line and get about 1mbs upload and on a good day, when my wife is not streaming Netflix, I get about 6.6mbs downloads. And I live less than two miles north of Redmond WA (Ya know the home of Microsquish?)

08-20-2019, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If your provider is only giving your house 40 Mps it won't matter what your network card is!
20 Mbps download and only 1.3 Mbps upload, which is typical household ADSL in my area...the famously well-connected Portland, Oregon, aka "The Silicon Forest".

Major reason why I have little interest in cloud-based storage, backup, or apps.

Steve
08-20-2019, 09:57 AM - 3 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a hard enough time composing and developing a good photo. Thinking up a good title is just beyond me.
08-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Well, we negotiated a new contract and the old contractor decided to drop our Fiber interconnect between the US and Europe to a "more efficient" link. So instead of running over fiber across the Atlantic we were switched to a combination of satellite and old copper cables.
Wow! This sounds familiar! Similar happened when I was working with an extended team on both sides of the Atlantic. It took an amazing amount of time to sync up to the code repository, such that we finally set up a satellite repository here and automated a sync between the two daily when the lines were quiet.

Steve

08-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #35
Pentaxian

If you're that bothered about what a photo is of or where it was taken,just ask.Most of us are more than happy to engage!
08-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #36
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow! This sounds familiar! Similar happened when I was working with an extended team on both sides of the Atlantic. It took an amazing amount of time to sync up to the code repository, such that we finally set up a satellite repository here and automated a sync between the two daily when the lines were quiet.

Steve
The company I worked for was developing medical equipment with developers in the USA (multiple sites), Europe, Israel, India, Japan and Singapore. There were no quiet periods on the companies global network. If fact, we had to change our monthly system maintenance from Sunday to Saturday so we would not impact Corporate functions in Asia. The Aussies and the Japanese got really ticked off when we shut them down for 8 hours on a Monday morning. (Our site hosted the companies medical division's SAP instance) We did have non device related outages during our maintenance window. Like when a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) technician dropped a wrench into one of our UPS's when the diesel backup generator was being serviced and the other UPS was having its batteries swapped out. Good Times, especially when I explained what was going on to my supervisor who was based in MA not WA. The site came back on-line before our deadline, but there were company middle managers in high level panic mode.

---------- Post added 08-20-19 at 04:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
If you're that bothered about what a photo is of or where it was taken,just ask.Most of us are more than happy to engage!
And for those people who are looking at your galleries? Why not just say what/where it is.

Having just gone through a photo workshop with a portfolio review, just throwing up pictures is a non-starter. Heck I use Capture One and on export I use the Job Identifier field as part of the photo name. At least it provides basic information where _IGP1234.JPG is in my eye a sign of being either lazy or holding the viewer in disregard.

Last edited by PDL; 08-20-2019 at 04:46 PM.
08-20-2019, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If your provider is only giving your house 40 Mps it won't matter what your network card is!
1Mbs up and 15 down so I am pretty certain every wireless device can swamp my connection without trying.

08-21-2019, 12:50 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote

And for those people who are looking at your galleries? Why not just say what/where it is.

Having just gone through a photo workshop with a portfolio review, just throwing up pictures is a non-starter. Heck I use Capture One and on export I use the Job Identifier field as part of the photo name. At least it provides basic information where _IGP1234.JPG is in my eye a sign of being either lazy or holding the viewer in disregard.
Which galleries?The only picture I have in a gallery on this forum is of a sheep,fairly self evident what it is and I doubt anyone's really interested where it was taken!

For me life's too short to be tagging/titling hundreds and hundreds of photos,as I said in post #8 I'm happy for that to be put down to laziness
08-21-2019, 03:48 AM   #39
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It’s really hard to come up with interesting names when you shoot landscapes. Most of mine are just stuff like misty sunrise or field at dawn. Wish I had better ideas...
Hah, I wish I was better at revisiting the same sites. I become "blind" to familiar subjects very quickly

But yes, you do have a point. My sunset shots most often are titled "yet another sunset"

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have an upload speed of about .5 Mps.
I feel your pain
08-21-2019, 07:40 AM - 2 Likes   #40
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
What's in a Name, or Why don't all PF Members post their images along with titles?
Me... I like a title to my images, mine are often just a bit of fun or a play on words.
08-23-2019, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I like a title to my images, mine are often just a bit of fun or a play on words
Me too, and I appreciate the sly wit displayed by other photographers whether they convey it visually or textually
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I doubt anyone's really interested where it was taken!
I don't agree, PF and Flickr, etc, have world-wide membership, people like to see views of other places. I really like being introduced to someplace unknonw via photography, and I also like seeing views others post from places I have been.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Thinking up a good title is just beyond me.
"Good" is subjective, a title can simply be descriptive, like "Sunset over Shenandoah Valley, seen from Ravens Roost" and that still adds to the viewing experience.
08-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #42
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In defence of "2019-07-22_C1234KY_Fr.jpg": When I import my images I rename them with the date YYYY-MM-DD at the beginning, to allow for sorting. I add a prefix code for the camera (C is K-3) and a suffix for the lens (K is Kenko TC and Y is FA*300) around the image number and a code or abbreviation for the location. When I upload to Flickr, I want all that information available so I can find the file later, or know where I took that particular photo or with what. Ideally that name would be a tag rather than the title, but Flickr doesn't do that for me. I put the description in the description (e.g. "Olive Whistler (Pachycephala olivacea)") and insert a lot of tags. Maybe one day Flickr will be able to swap the title and description, or convert either to a tag, or allow the description to be displayed in a group etc or inserted in BBCode instead of the title.

Sure some people looking at a Flickr group will skip my photo because of its meaningless title, but too bad. Anyone who wants more can look at the description (and tags). When I post here I almost always add a title or information about the photo (what, where and how).

Not disparaging anyone else's practice - creative titles like yours Rob add a lot - but just saying that the practice is constrained by workflow and Flickr.

Last edited by Des; 08-23-2019 at 10:32 PM.
08-24-2019, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote

I don't agree, PF and Flickr, etc, have world-wide membership, people like to see views of other places. I really like being introduced to someplace unknonw via photography, and I also like seeing views others post from places I have been.

When I said no one was interested in where a photo was taken I was referring to one specific head and shoulder picture of a sheep in my gallery on PF.

You’re now taking what I said out of context.

I go back to my original argument if you’re that interested where a pic was taken or what it’s of ,whether or PF,Flickr or wherever,you can always just ask!!

Last edited by timb64; 08-24-2019 at 07:29 AM.
08-24-2019, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many of the images in the post your photos forum I assume the thread title is what the OP imagined as the image title, look, for example at the images posted by kerrowdown.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Me... I like a title to my images, mine are often just a bit of fun or a play on words.
For many of us, i suspect that putting a title is perhaps comparable to assuming that what we are doing is somehow suggesting our images are fine art. And perhaps in that respect might make one feel a little arrogant,

I think it is different if you are in the business, and trying to actively sell images, but I am not, so I don’t. If I post images into it for fun and don’t take myself too seriously.
08-24-2019, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In Toronto's Contact photographic festival catalogue a title wouldn't be nearly enough to qualify an image as "art". It would need an "artist's statement" of at least half a page that draws in multi-layered influences and uses key words like "colonialization". Most of this would never be gleaned from the image itself, which may not be particularly arresting or interesting (though some of them are).

Our forum members come from a huge range of backgrounds and life experiences. There's nothing wrong with a caption or even a short commentary to give a shot some context.