Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2019, 01:37 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regularly refreshed silica gel in poly bags with both caps on. Kept in camera bag, box, cupboard ie in the dark. Never put away damp. Ever. So far over many years, no fungus.

Note, there is differing quality of silica gel out there, especially on sites like Amazon. So when I buy a batch, I always test it by wetting, drying, and then checking it can re-absorb further moisture. One batch I bought could not do this, but it was cheap ;-)

08-26-2019, 02:46 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live in the driest state in the driest continent on earth. Fungus just doesn't happen.
All my lenses (currently >50) are stored in a wooden chest of drawers near the upstairs bedrooms and study.
08-26-2019, 03:02 AM - 4 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I live in the driest state in the driest continent on earth. Fungus just doesn't happen.
All my lenses (currently >50) are stored in a wooden chest of drawers near the upstairs bedrooms and study.
A couple of questions Sandy: Your address, please ? And is it easy to get the chest down the stairs ?
08-26-2019, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I live in Florida. The humidity is always high.
I have this Ruggard dry cabinet and another smaller one. I keep the humidity at around 41-43.

Attached Images

08-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

So far my Ruggard is doing a good job, but now since I acquired a third body, I am out of room!
08-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read somewhere that silica dessicants can be dehumidified by heating them for a while. Makes sense; the heat drives off the absorbed humidity. So, if you set your oven to its lowest temp (about 200°F?) and 'bake' them for an hour, they regain their effectiveness. I'm guessing a bit at the time and temperature. Maybe someone else has better info. Some of my dessicants are in fabric bags and some in plastic cartridges. I think the plastic would survive 200°F OK but maybe not much higher. When they're done baking you can store them in dry rice in a sealed container until needed.
08-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I read somewhere that silica dessicants can be dehumidified by heating them for a while. Makes sense; the heat drives off the absorbed humidity. So, if you set your oven to its lowest temp (about 200°F?) and 'bake' them for an hour, they regain their effectiveness. I'm guessing a bit at the time and temperature. Maybe someone else has better info. Some of my dessicants are in fabric bags and some in plastic cartridges. I think the plastic would survive 200°F OK but maybe not much higher. When they're done baking you can store them in dry rice in a sealed container until needed.
That's the process I use: 75 to 100C for about an hour, in their fabric bags. Then a handful with each lens in a, sealed, double poly bag. Just checked my oldest and most used lenses (zooms that suck air, those that don't and primes) that have been stored this way. All 100% free that I can see.

I do also have a clear lens protector on each lens I own. Depending on the lens' construction this is probably giving an extra barrier to moisture and therefore fungus.

09-06-2019, 06:48 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ends capped and in cases; either in drawers or in plastic storage boxes in closets, in the house. We have humid summers and dryish winters. No problems in 40 years.
09-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

where i am from (Singapore), where any time of year the relative humidity is anywhere between 75% to 95% (and 75% is not common), there is no other choice but to get a dry cabinet.
Relative humidity here is very high all year round, that (horrors), you even get mildew on clothes!

When i was in Australia many years ago, never needed it.
My film camera n lens were just kept where was convenient to place them.
And i did that for the four years i was in Oz, no problem at all.

The first time i was in Oz, the dryness of it all was shocking (and amazing).
First time in my life i washed a pair of jeans and hung it out on the line (it was during summer), and oh goodness me, in 3hours, the jeans dried out!

And yeap, naturally as well, lips cracked, hands cracked etc.
09-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I leave em on top of my cabinet or in open boxes to promote air flow. I'd like to eventually get a dry box so I can stop accruing dust all over my gear.
09-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Twice in one day for this picture.

Our house is typically pretty dry in winter, and we run dehumidifiers and or air conditioning ins summer. The door is usually closed to keep dust out.
09-14-2019, 04:52 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In a drawer, inside LowePro padded lens cases. Inside each lens case there is a silica desiccant pack. The cases have a colored tag with the lens type written on them. This allows me to grab lenses I plan on using, throw them in a bag, the car trunk, luggage, or clip them to my camera holster, and go. As I de-clutter and re-spark joy in my study, I will move them from the drawer and into a cabinet.
09-17-2019, 05:23 AM   #28
Banned

I store my lenses in a dry cabinet to protect them from humidity and dust. I also use caps.
10-08-2019, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #29

I started doing this many years ago when I was backpacking a lot. I needed a way to help protect lenses, so I decided to take worn out tube socks and cut off the foot portion leaving the stretchy ankle part and slip that over my lenses. It just adds an extra layer of protection to my lenses while making use of something that I would have thrown away. You can use a permanent marker to roughly mark the outside if you want. It worked so well that I continued to do that for all of my lenses even today. You might be surprised how much they can stretch over a lens. Of course this may not work for some larger lenses, but I did find that old boot socks will work in some cases.
10-28-2019, 05:49 AM   #30

After recently inheriting two camera bags of kit, I found each item (6 lenses, 2 cameras, various accessories) in a poly bag along with a little handmade cotton bag containing Silica Gel.
Each bag had "15g" or "30g" or whatever written on it in Biro. It reminded me that my Grandfather (the source) used to dry these out on a tray in the oven, and then calculate the quantity/weight needed for each poly bag.

I'll be sticking them in the oven again tonight, around 100ºC for an hour, and doing likewise with new Polygrip bags nicked from the kitchen

Sadly some of my own old equipment that's been stored through the last 20 years in various garages and basements hasn't been treated so well, and I've lost a few OM/Pentacon lenses to fungus