Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Perhaps it was the seller's intent that you find them?

Steve
I think you hit send just as I posted my last response, Steve. Great minds think alike

08-28-2019, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I just had a thought... since he listed the card as part of the sale, maybe he left the images on there intentionally... maybe he's trying to recruit me into the fold...
I hope you like the smell of latex first thing in the morning.....
08-28-2019, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe I should just tell him that I see some directories and JPEGs on the card, and would he like me to return it in case there's anything important to him on there, or format it instead...
I think that’s the winner...

-Eric
08-28-2019, 04:19 PM - 5 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Given the evidence of the camera's past experience, if it is still in good condition that must be a testament to its ruggedness. Perhaps a note about its suitability for use in such environments should be included in its in-depth review pages.

Philip

08-28-2019, 04:22 PM - 4 Likes   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Given the evidence of the camera's past experience, if it is still in good condition that must be a testament to its ruggedness. Perhaps a note about its suitability for use in such environments should be included in its in-depth review pages.
It's in near-mint condition. At the very least, I suspect it's splash resistant

I think I'm going to clean it one more time...

EDIT: I may be able to attest to its suitability for "tethered" photography. And I suspect the files would respond well to processing in GIMP...
08-28-2019, 04:30 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Message sent to seller (name removed):

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam:
Hi xxxxxxxx - thank you for delivering the camera and accessories by hand; very much appreciated, mate, and I'm delighted with it (I've left feedback accordingly).

There are some folders and files on the 2GB card still in the camera. If they're likely to be anything important, I'd be happy to post the card back to you. Otherwise, I'll just format the card and use it. Please let me know either way?

Thanks again, and all the best

Mike
08-28-2019, 04:47 PM - 4 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's in near-mint condition. At the very least, I suspect it's splash resistant

I think I'm going to clean it one more time...

EDIT: I may be able to attest to its suitability for "tethered" photography. And I suspect the files would respond well to processing in GIMP...

Do not, I repeat, do NOT shine a UV lamp on it!

08-28-2019, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought my K-1 off of a PF member, but did not realize I had not deleted or changed the owner and copyright info for over three months. I did look up the original owners portfolio, some pretty nice work.

I'll look at a public portfolio, otherwise I don't want to know where my camera had been before it came into my possession.

On the other hand, I really like viewing some of the shots on the Rescued Film Project website.
08-28-2019, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Personally, I'd format the card, immediately fill it with benign images, and then wipe it again to remove all traces the naughty bits and bytes. I don't know about the laws in the UK, but the ones in the US can be extremely nasty if one is caught with the wrong kinds of pictures. Perhaps your records of the purchase would redirect prosecution to the seller, but that depends on trusting that the authorities would be reasonable and intelligent.

P.S. Small cards are always useful -- every one of my camera bags, backpacks, and suitcases has an older spare SD card tucked somewhere. If I ever forget to put a card in the camera, bring enough spare cards, or have some card error calamity during a hike or trip, I know I'll have some storage capacity for keepsake memories of the trip. In a crunch, I could even dial down the resolution and quality to get a decent number of vacation snapshots.
08-28-2019, 04:58 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Do not, I repeat, do NOT shine a UV lamp on it!
Not going to type what I was thinking...will...not...will...not...

Steve
08-28-2019, 05:01 PM - 2 Likes   #26
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

one of my used camera I bought from Adam....
08-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Personally, I'd format the card, immediately fill it with benign images, and then wipe it again to remove all traces the naughty bits and bytes. I don't know about the laws in the UK, but the ones in the US can be extremely nasty if one is caught with the wrong kinds of pictures. Perhaps your records of the purchase would redirect prosecution to the seller, but that depends on trusting that the authorities would be reasonable and intelligent.
A good point well made. But there's nothing remotely like that, here... The content is amusing at best, and simply odd at worst. Nothing even vaguely law-breaking.

For the record, if I'd come across anything truly worrying or questionable, I'd have reported it and handed over the evidence quick smart. But this really is just folks expressing themselves and having a bit of fun in their own way - nothing more than you might expect to see in a TV documentary. A prudish individual might be offended, but to me, it's a little curious, that's all... it's just a rarely seen example of a slice of modern life (and I'll bet plenty of it went on decades ago too, without folks knowing )...

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
P.S. Small cards are always useful -- every one of my camera bags, backpacks, and suitcases has an older spare SD card tucked somewhere. If I ever forget to put a card in the camera, bring enough spare cards, or have some card error calamity during a hike or trip, I know I'll have some storage capacity for keepsake memories of the trip. In a crunch, I could even dial down the resolution and quality to get a decent number of vacation snapshots.
I love small cards. Sometimes, they're the only ones that pre-firmware-update cameras are compatible with!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-28-2019 at 05:13 PM.
08-28-2019, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ajax.
08-28-2019, 07:25 PM - 5 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I suppose threatening to spank the seller for not formatting the card isn't going to help.
08-28-2019, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
I suppose threatening to spank the seller for not formatting the card isn't going to help.
Thread Winner!!

FWIW, I rescue a lot of old stuff - furniture, rugs, needlepoint and other hand work, fine china*, artworks, curios and thousands of books**. Everything has a story to go with it. Everything has memories. If I couldn’t get the seller to tell me I just make it up. One of my favorite pastimes.

AFA Pentax manual lenses and cameras go, prior to the 80’s most of them were hand-assembled and I feel I’m using the product of that assembler’s skill. Same as old furniture, old mechanical clocks (though less so New Haven clocks).

I “own” a tiny part of a working steam locomotive . . . .

* Just this past weekend at an estate sale we rescued 12 place settings (5 pieces per) of fine Lenox bone china, hand painted with gold leaf trim - for $30. THIRTY DOLLARS!!! I wonder about the Thanksgiving discussions that were had over those plates and saucers.

** Books often have really interesting inscriptions and margin notes.Sometimes books have interesting things stuck inside but the estate sale people have learned to riffle the pages so the money drops out. We’ve only found currency twice - Small denominations.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-28-2019 at 09:04 PM. Reason: The stories old stuff could tell . . .