Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2019, 02:35 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you ever wonder what your pre-owned camera has seen?

(... or, looking at it from the opposite view-point, always format your SD cards if you're including them as part of a sale! )

I recently bought another older DSLR. The buying experience was faultless, the camera as good as (perhaps even better than) described, and the seller a pleasure to deal with.

The camera arrived with one of the supplied SD cards still fitted. After checking it over for cosmetic condition, I took a JPEG shot for the purposes of determining shutter count. When I inserted the SD card into my PC's card reader and brought up my file explorer, I noticed there were several named directories on it, and looking inside these I found numerous JPEGs. Even from the medium-sized thumbnails, I could tell these were not quite your average family snaps Reviewing a few of them, it seems they were taken at a rather intimate BDSM event... men and women dressed in a lot of PVC, with whips, gas masks and ropes thrown in for good measure. Also, photos of bedrooms with "various items" on the bedside tables (including wet wipes, which I thought particularly considerate ). Nothing more explicit than that, but not the same as a cos-play event, if you catch my drift

In the past, when I've found other people's family and holiday photos still residing on an SD card, I've tried to contact them and asked if they'd like their images e-mailed to them. From several such experiences, only one person has ever said "yes", and they were terribly grateful. In all cases, I've then deleted the photos, since they're none of my business.

In this instance, I am - for the first time - somewhat conflicted. I'm no prude, nor am I judgemental about what floats another person's boat. I've had a lot of fun in life myself, and probably ended up in a few situations I wouldn't want to share widely with the world (none involving gas masks, I'll admit ). So long as there's nothing illegal taking place, it's all good with me. But I don't want to embarrass the seller by mentioning I have these photos of his. I can only hope he has copies stored on his hard drive

So... for that camera you bought used, do you ever wonder what it might have seen? What subjects, scenes, events it might have experienced?

And for those who's photographic interests ever include anything personal or intimate, this serves as a reminder to format SD cards before passing them on

08-28-2019, 02:41 PM - 10 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Next time you buy a camera off me, could you maybe NOT tell everyone what I happened to leave on the SD card.
08-28-2019, 02:50 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

No pictures?It didn’t happen
08-28-2019, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pics, or it didn't happen

08-28-2019, 02:55 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
none involving gas masks, I'll admit
The real question is do you now have the urge to include gas masks in your party activities?
do you ever wonder what it might have seen?
Twice I found undeveloped film in cameras I "inherited" from deceased persons. Nothing disturbing developed in either case, but I did feel responsible for getting the film processed. In a similar vein, I have "fixed" computers for people I know and sometimes the contents of their hard drives have led me to view them in a much different light
And for those who's photographic interests ever include anything personal or intimate, this serves as a reminder to format SD cards before passing them on
As a rule, people are incredibly promiscuous with electronic devices; which surprises me because it doesn't take much effort to protect our personal dignity.
08-28-2019, 03:01 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
No pictures?It didn’t happen
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Pics, or it didn't happen
I couldn't even keep, let alone share, someone else's private photos. I can only promise you that, today, I reviewed several of them (if I'm being entirely honest, probably a few more than I needed to ) - and they were as described. After that, I set about cleaning the camera and lenses... thoroughly

I'll say again, the seller was great to deal with. I'd never judge someone on their tastes, preferences and proclivities. Behind closed doors, between consenting adults (and so long as no-one is compromised or harmed), I say do what gives you happiness in this life. If I do judge (and I try not to, except in extreme circumstances), it's in the way they treat me, mine and others in day-to-day life.

I'll also say that the seller has great taste in gear... K-mount is so versatile
08-28-2019, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did the camera happen to come with a lens? Normal, telephoto, wide angle, or Macro?

08-28-2019, 03:24 PM - 6 Likes   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
your pre-owned camera has seen?
Just for the record... I'd like to state here clearly on this thread, that I've never ever sold anything to BigMackCam.

So it was nae me...
08-28-2019, 03:32 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
The real question is do you now have the urge to include gas masks in your party activities?
Over the years, I've had my share of big nights out, with plenty of memories to look back on and laugh at... but I don't believe gas masks ever featured in them. I can't guarantee that the odd restraint, in the form of a silk neck-tie or dressing-gown cord, was never involved... but that's about it, I'm afraid

As for any current urges... I have some work to do on my master bathroom, and I'm probably in the market for some dust masks. Does that count?

Twice I found undeveloped film in cameras I "inherited" from deceased persons. Nothing disturbing developed in either case, but I did feel responsible for getting the film processed. In a similar vein, I have "fixed" computers for people I know and sometimes the contents of their hard drives have led me to view them in a much different light
I understand, for sure. I can't promise to be entirely non-judgemental, and over time I've slightly changed my view of a very few people I've been close to based on things I've found out, but I would say it was more surprise than anything especially negative. I'm very, very non-judgemental when it comes to folks' personal lives and how they derive some enjoyment out of such a complicated and stressful world. I abhor and oppose anything truly disrespectful, dangerous or illegal, but I think the days of being prudish about harmless fun (in all its forms, whether-or-not it's to our personal tastes) are - or should be - long gone...

As a rule, people are incredibly promiscuous with electronic devices; which surprises me because it doesn't take much effort to protect our personal dignity.
Indeed. And social media is even worse in this respect. It's the biggest storage and distribution facility on which to compromise ourselves unwittingly. It saddens me that so many kids and adolescents still don't seem to get that...
08-28-2019, 03:33 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Heeeeey, I was woundering what happened to that SD card lol I kid, I kid
08-28-2019, 03:46 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

(... or, looking at it from the opposite view-point, always format your SD cards if you're including them as part of a sale! )

I recently bought another older DSLR. The buying experience was faultless, the camera as good as (perhaps even better than) described, and the seller a pleasure to deal with.

The camera arrived with one of the supplied SD cards still fitted. After checking it over for cosmetic condition, I took a JPEG shot for the purposes of determining shutter count. When I inserted the SD card into my PC's card reader and brought up my file explorer, I noticed there were several named directories on it, and looking inside these I found numerous JPEGs. Even from the medium-sized thumbnails, I could tell these were not quite your average family snaps Reviewing a few of them, it seems they were taken at a rather intimate BDSM event... men and women dressed in a lot of PVC, with whips, gas masks and ropes thrown in for good measure. Also, photos of bedrooms with "various items" on the bedside tables (including wet wipes, which I thought particularly considerate ). Nothing more explicit than that, but not the same as a cos-play event, if you catch my drift

In the past, when I've found other people's family and holiday photos still residing on an SD card, I've tried to contact them and asked if they'd like their images e-mailed to them. From several such experiences, only one person has ever said "yes", and they were terribly grateful. In all cases, I've then deleted the photos, since they're none of my business.

In this instance, I am - for the first time - somewhat conflicted. I'm no prude, nor am I judgemental about what floats another person's boat. I've had a lot of fun in life myself, and probably ended up in a few situations I wouldn't want to share widely with the world (none involving gas masks, I'll admit ). So long as there's nothing illegal taking place, it's all good with me. But I don't want to embarrass the seller by mentioning I have these photos of his. I can only hope he has copies stored on his hard drive

So... for that camera you bought used, do you ever wonder what it might have seen? What subjects, scenes, events it might have experienced?

I'd contact the seller and ask if he'd like you to format the SD card, or return the SD card in it's current state. That's just me.
08-28-2019, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #12
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Mike

Just post back the sd card with a note..this was still in the camera so here it is.

Dave

Looks like Mark and I posted at the same time with a very similar view
08-28-2019, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'd contact the seller and ask if he'd like you to format the SD card, or return the SD card in it's current state. That's just me.
Thanks, Mark. That makes good sense

The SD card in question was part of the listed sale. I don't particularly want it or need it (it's a very low capacity card), so would be more than happy to give it back to him... I wouldn't want to e-mail his photos to him, not because there's anything dodgy but (a) I wouldn't want him to think I'd seen them, and (b) I don't trust e-mail systems...

Maybe I should just tell him that I see some directories and JPEGs on the card, and would he like me to return it in case there's anything important to him on there, or format it instead...
08-28-2019, 03:55 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just had a thought... since he listed the card as part of the sale, maybe he left the images on there intentionally... maybe he's trying to recruit me into the fold...
08-28-2019, 03:57 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The SD card in question was part of the listed sale. I don't particularly want it or need it (it's a very low capacity card), so would be more than happy to give it back to him... I wouldn't want to e-mail his photos to him, not because there's anything dodgy but (a) I wouldn't want him to think I'd seen them, and (b) I don't trust e-mail systems...
Perhaps it was the seller's intent that you find them?

Steve