Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2019, 03:47 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
National Geographic Photo Gallery to close down and transfer all images to Instagram

I logged on to do my daily voting and was told that NG Photo Gallery is shutting down on Oct. 31st. The powers that be will migrate their images to the NG Instagram account. So along with PPG now NG Photo Gallery is dead.

I do not have a Instagram account because I have a repulsion to Facebook and their data mining, Copyright infringing tactics. I also do not use Flicker, Twitter or other so called Social Media sites other than Linkedin. I use Linkedin to sent messages to friends at work places that I am no longer at - but that is all.

So just for giggles, I checked out the Instagram desktop App in the Windows store and the App requires Windows 10 version 10240.0 or higher. My version of Windows 10 is 18362.295, meaning that the App has not been updated in - literally - years. Reading the reviews the App does not have anywhere near the functionality of the App on other platforms. In fact the latest reviews state that for some the App will not even open. There are other "Instagram" uploaders available, but I would imagine that Facebook will sue them out of existence. I know that Facebook hates Microsoft (the people I know who work there - and at Google) are told to stop using Microsoft when they are hired - even ex-Microsoft people.

Edit:
Doing a little search about the Instagram App on Windows 10 PC desktop - this is unreal.
"Currently only users with a touchscreen PC can upload, edit & post photos on Instagram Windows 10. Users without a touchscreen PC can use the same features available on the Instagram browser app (view photos, send messages, etc)."

So if you have a NG Gallery get ready to delete your images before Facebook gets ahold of them. It appears that NG has joined the anti-Microsoft and now the shoot only with phones cabal.

I have been a member of the NG Society for over 40 years, I will now review my continued support. If you only shoot with a phone, you should be happier than a clam.

Last edited by PDL; 08-29-2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Instagram PC App limits - really.....
08-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #2

I couldn’t agree more on the Facebook thieve alike behavior. I stop using the platform long ago after I found out it steals personal information of non-facebook users in my phone contact lists. Super piss me off. But I can’t stop using Instagram because I use it for my small sideline work, photo tour. Good numbers of people discover me and book my tour because of what they see on my IG page.

Here is a little thing we can do but no guarantee it will protect you much because we are at the mercy of another Be As Evil As We Can company, google!

To turn off Apps permission on Android
Setting (gear icon) > Apps > Instagram > Permissions > select what you want to turn off

I usually turn off Contact’s permission on most Apps.

I meet a lot of interesting people and extremely talent photographers in person using Instagram. It's such a shame, I really wish IG was never sold to FB.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 08-29-2019 at 05:06 PM.
08-29-2019, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
PDL
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Here is a little thing we can do but no guarantee it will protect you much because we are at the mercy of another Be As Evil As We Can company, google!

To turn off Apps permission on Android
Setting (gear icon) > Apps > Instagram > Permissions > select what you want to turn off

I usually turn off Contact’s permission on most Apps.

I meet a lot of interesting people and extremely talent photographers in person using Instagram. It's such a shame, I really wish IG was never sold to FB.
I agree that Google is pretty close to being as bad as Facebook. Thanks for the information about Android, but that begs the question. How to you get Pentax images loaded up to Instagram if it only runs on a phone? I had read that the Windows App would run from a desktop, but now it appears that it only uploads from touch screen devices or that it is so old that it won't even start.

Instagram appears to be biased to iPhone and Android phone users only. I think it is stupid to have to load images off of your desktop onto your phone in order to add the images to your feed. If anything, this will eventually kill cameras as we now know them off. Maybe we should hope that Facebook gets broken up - then again that will most likely kill off Instagram in the long run.
08-29-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I agree that Google is pretty close to being as bad as Facebook. Thanks for the information about Android, but that begs the question. How to you get Pentax images loaded up to Instagram if it only runs on a phone? I had read that the Windows App would run from a desktop, but now it appears that it only uploads from touch screen devices or that it is so old that it won't even start.

Instagram appears to be biased to iPhone and Android phone users only. I think it is stupid to have to load images off of your desktop onto your phone in order to add the images to your feed. If anything, this will eventually kill cameras as we now know them off. Maybe we should hope that Facebook gets broken up - then again that will most likely kill off Instagram in the long run.
There is a plug-in "Desktop for Instagram" that runs on Google Chrome on computers, and that allows photo uploads.

I don't use Instagram much, as I dislike the constraints on aspect ratio, the small size, and the lack of photo data. It's handy occasionally. I find flickr very good though.

08-29-2019, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

How to you get Pentax images loaded up to Instagram if it only runs on a phone? I had read that the Windows App would run from a desktop, but now it appears that it only uploads from touch screen devices or that it is so old that it won't even start.
If you use Google Chrome, there's a trick you can do to make Instagram think you're on a mobile device. Open Chrome developer tools (F12 on keyboard ) then CTRL-SHIFT-M and it puts you in a mobile device simulation mode.
It's intended primarily for web developers to test their sites on a mobile device, but can be used to fool Instagram.

Once you're in mobile simulation mode, you go to the Instagram website, log in, and upload as though you were on an actual mobile device.

You only get a small screen while you're in mobile simulation mode, but you can upload from your PC.

It still doesn't deal with the issue of whether anything Facebook owned is evil, but at least it makes it pretty easy to post images from a PC, if a little annoying that it's necessary to use a work-around.
08-29-2019, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #6
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
If you use Google Chrome, there's a trick you can do to make Instagram think you're on a mobile device. Open Chrome developer tools (F12 on keyboard ) then CTRL-SHIFT-M and it puts you in a mobile device simulation mode.
It's intended primarily for web developers to test their sites on a mobile device, but can be used to fool Instagram.

Once you're in mobile simulation mode, you go to the Instagram website, log in, and upload as though you were on an actual mobile device.

You only get a small screen while you're in mobile simulation mode, but you can upload from your PC.

It still doesn't deal with the issue of whether anything Facebook owned is evil, but at least it makes it pretty easy to post images from a PC, if a little annoying that it's necessary to use a work-around.
Unfortunately you are then logged in to Google from your Desktop.
08-30-2019, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #7

How to you get Pentax images loaded up to Instagram if it only runs on a phone? .
How to put image taken with a camera on Instagram?
Short answer: you have to connect your device, phone, tablet to computer and transfer the jpg or png to it. I use jpg because it will keep my basic shooting there. Then open Instagram and make a post, you can browse to find the saved image from there.
I try to post image directly from a computer before, my best advice … don’t do it. Too manything to do and … just don’t waste time doing it.

------Long answers------
You should post your photo using a phone or tablet.

⋆ How to transfer images to Android device?
A few options on Android’s official site here > Transfer files between your computer & Android device - Android Help

I regularly use “Option 2: Move files with a USB cable”. I will copy text here because I want to edit them a bit for easier understanding.

Move files by USB
(it is not as hard as you think. You will get used to it after a few work cycle.)
1. Turn on and Unlock your Android device.
2. With a USB cable, connect your device to your computer. (Make sure to use “good” cable. I try cheaper eBay cables and my PC can’t see the phone therefore I can’t transfer data.)
3. On your device, swift down from the top of the screen. You will see a few options. Tap the "Charging this device via USB" option.
4. Tab to select the "File Transfer” option. This is the last step to connect your phone to a computer. You can leave your phone connect to the computer for now.
5. Back to your computer. Look at MyComputer or ThisPC you will see your phone listed there. Double click to open it. It will act like another USB device so you can drug/drop file as normal. When you're done, Unplug the USB cable.

⋆ Where to put image on the phone?
Basically anywhere, As for me, I made a new folder call “Pentax” and put photos taken by a Pentax camera there. So when I want to post a photo, I always brows to that folder on my phone.

⋆ Image dimension & Image Size:
You should be able to google for this information. Note that IG will compress it for you and … well It is good and bad there.
IMHO, best image dimension for view on Instagram is 4:5 and it is a kind of a preferable ways for most (but not all) serious photographer I have seen on IG. *this is not a rule*
I always save my photo Portrait orientate with 4:5 ratio. For landscape and panorama photo, I post process it first then cut it and save to multiple of 4:5 images and upload them as multiple photos in one post so user can swift left and right to view the full panorama. (sample post might explain better --> click here ) I am using Photoshop but any image editing software can do the job.

⋆ Image quality:
For max image quality on IG, I usually save my images at its full size (after crop it to 4:5). So it is like 4000x5000px which is way too much for IG but I found out that IG on Android compress image better when I upload overkill image size. Not sure if it is still truth now. You don’t have image quality problem if you are using ig on iPhone. Beside that, it gives me the full size jpg ready for sale if somebody ask for it which not often but sometime people do.

⋆ Other tips:
Always process your photos again on phone. This is like print on paper, you want to do sample print and adjust your tone, color, etc to better match with the ink and paper. SnapSeed is my recommended App.
Always use hashtags.
Finally, if you are on IG, feel free to ping me a private message, I will follow to get your photo update

Last edited by tokyoscape; 08-30-2019 at 01:15 AM.
08-30-2019, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a shame. I liked the NG Your Shot format. From all I read above I won't be bothering to sign up so I have to jump through hoops to post small images on IG !

08-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #9

...I do not have a Instagram account because I have a repulsion to Facebook and their data mining, Copyright infringing tactics. I also do not use Flicker, Twitter or other so called Social Media sites other than Linkedin. I use Linkedin to sent messages to friends at work places that I am no longer at - but that is all....
Funny that, my brother installed the LinkedIn app and found it mined his address book among other things and told everyone, however remotely connected that he was to be found there, especially those he'd rather avoid. After a great deal of pruning on LinkedIn he managed to cut this down to those he actually wanted to keep in touch with, but it was a real nuisance at the time.
08-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #10
Banned

Better adopt to the IG world if that is your future.

What's the Best Instagram Image Size 2019? Complete Guide
08-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #11
PDL
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Funny that, my brother installed the LinkedIn app and found it mined his address book among other things and told everyone, however remotely connected that he was to be found there, especially those he'd rather avoid. After a great deal of pruning on LinkedIn he managed to cut this down to those he actually wanted to keep in touch with, but it was a real nuisance at the time.
I bet he has his Linkedin contacts list mined as well. I know that a few of my personal contacts have Linkedin accounts and I have never been asked to contact them. My Linkedin account only goes to those I have chosen, it asks to link to other social media platforms, but I do not have them... so I don't get diddly squat. I do get recruiter emails and such since recruiters can't read my profile that says ------ Retired.

---------- Post added 08-30-19 at 01:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Better adopt to the IG world if that is your future.

What's the Best Instagram Image Size 2019? Complete Guide
Phone's are the future indeed. I think this is going to be the next step in the downfall of "real" cameras. Back in the day, the default picture was a 4x6 inch print from your local drugstore. Now the future looks like images are going to be about 4x6 images on mobile devices. No need for anything over 6 - 10 MPs. Really sad after all.

As for the best Instagram size - Why in the name of heaven is this information not available on their site? I did look, there is nothing there about suggested formats, sizes or just about anything that is the least bit technical.

Edit:
I went to the site for today's "voting" and it is disabled. So, as of today, you can not upload or vote on images. I sent a message to NG yesterday and I have heard nothing. On the editors blog, they basically say "we had a good run, but now that run is over".

I have to correct myself, they are not automatically migrating submitted images to Instagram, I think the expect the user to do that. So they want me to take my 4,845 x 3,104 (my largest submission) pixel image and set it down to the "best" IG size of 1,080 x 566-1,350 pixels. Well, there goes anything showing quality, plus I have to get them up there by using my phone. DSLR photo sharing is dead, NG does not support other sites for this purpose, they have sold their sole down the toilet In My Opinion.

Last edited by PDL; 08-30-2019 at 01:50 PM. Reason: short rant - but I feel better now.