Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2019, 02:20 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I had a 5D (now a 6D and 70D). I would say "no" to that. She needs a used Pentax and 18-55 (17-70 would be better). She needs not worry about crop factor, which is not a difficult concept anyway. She needs a bit of flexibility, and most of the tech available. She need to learn composition above anything else, with the ability to compare wide and tele options. Exposure compensation would be secind. The rest will follow if she has interest.
The 18-135 runs around 170 to 200 used and that might be a decent option.

08-31-2019, 06:45 AM   #32
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd avoid interchangeable-lens cameras entirely, including mirrorless. I'd suggest a good snapshot camera, such as the Canon Powershot G1 X Mark III. Built-in telephoto (not a huge range of magnification, but functions correctly), and gives control over all the functions and parameters one needs to learn about before tacking the complexity of a modern DSLR. It is my view that a person ought to learn to take pictures before he attempts "photography". Composition, balance, and technique are more important than having to figure out about sensors and lenses and technical stuff.
08-31-2019, 07:39 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Didn't photography students learn the basics using something like the Pentax K1000, a decent size real camera with excellent build quality, and the potential of using different lenses? It might seem patronising to suggest that such a keen student should now start with a phone or point-and-shoot. The digital equivalent of a K1000 would be something like a Pentax K-5 (or its equivalent from another manufacturer). This young lady will have seen her professional photographer father's gear and would probably be motivated to emulate him by being able to learn with something similar.

Philip
08-31-2019, 07:52 AM   #34

Agreed - a modern DSLR would tick boxes, I reckon. My first was a K-S2 as I didn't want something that would either leave me completely in the dark with respect to controls, or baby me too much through photography as would a phone or point-and-shoot. I could decide for myself how much 'babying' I received from the equipment, and also dial in different controls to learn for myself how aperture/ISO/shutter speed/etc impacts on photographs.

A K5 is a nice option for not huge money, and decent lenses such as the 18-135mm WR are good as they're versatile and give good photos. The 18-50mm WR or similar is also fine, but for a little more money the 18-135mm offers a lot more.

09-01-2019, 09:07 PM - 3 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

If buying used, I always recommend going for a previous flagship model, as these are far more durable as well as having superior controls, which will help in the learning process. The K-5 series was so good it is still highly regarded for its quality imaging. The K-5 II or IIs (no AA filter for finer detail), with improved autofocus (AF) with many lenses, are highly recommended. As to a lens, I think just going with only a prime lens in this day and age for a young person, would be a bit limiting. They are used to more technology along with greater capability and versatility, even with their smart phones.

A good versatile zoom lens like the DA 18-135mm with its fast, quiet AF and broad capability would be a good choice. It even performs very well on the original K-5 body. It is also very compact for the large zoom range it has, yet well-built. It features weather resistant construction (WR) to complement the upper-level K-5 series body. I think when a young person sees how they can instantly go from a large group wide angle shot to an individual closeup from a distance, they will be forgiving of the weight for this new experience. It can deliver good closeup images also.

The K-5 series bodies are actually more compact and lighter than the Nikon counterparts in the same upper class of APS-C camera. Yet they are very well built with their magnesium alloy construction.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-01-2019 at 09:19 PM.
09-02-2019, 12:21 AM   #36

Ricoh GR II