Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2019, 05:36 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I knew there was a reason NHTSA should outlaw the blue High Intensity Discharge LED headlamps on those expensive SUV’s. At night it is impossible to look away from them since they are perfectly at the eye height of any oncoming sedan driver, so not only are they quite blinding and thus a safety hazard, they’re damaging to opposing drivers’ eyesight!

09-03-2019, 06:31 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Where is their source for this nonsense? The link to "read more" is from "the life hacker" which posts insightful articles such as "Burn Bay Leaves In Your Home For These 3 Amazing Health Benefits".

B o l o g n a.

There are definitely some problems with blue light, especially from street flooding LED lamps because they can affect the circadian rhythm of people and animals in the area but that's not what they're talking about...
09-03-2019, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think I'll stay with OVF ;-)
09-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I can’t help wondering if this is going to be the latest in a long line of things that people can start a movement against.
No movement necessary, no... I don't foresee any pitchforks nor torches being gathered over any of this...

But it might influence people in regards to what products they buy. Right or wrong, if there is a perception that something might be easier on your eyesight, perhaps not to the point of damaging your eyes, but just that it might be easier to use for several hours before your eyes getting tired... why not consider it. It's not called a movement, it's called choosing what's best for your needs, and it happens in the marketplace all the time. So don't mock the concept... because you probably consider what's best for your needs as well, whether you're buying cameras or computers or TVs or cars or any other consumer product...

09-04-2019, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Several comments that may repeat what's already been said, perhaps better (I have not read through all of the preceding posts on this thread):

1) there is a grain of truth in the tired old advice: "all things in moderation."
2) last visit to have my eyes checked I was warned about possible visual problems caused by long-term staring at a computer monitor/screen because of the large amount of short wavelength light. As I need OTS magnifiers to see the screen clearly, I purchased a pair that has blue-filtering plastic and keep those right in front of the big monitor (I do spend perhaps 2~3 hours a day staring at it trying to decide whether an image is worth processing, or trying to remember why on earth I pressed the shutter release).
3) BEWARE, it has been conclusively demonstrated by unknown billions of experiments that breathing is ultimately fatal, and so is not breathing, so you cannot win.

Enjoy the day, for we are a long time dead. (eat desert first, don't deny yourself things you enjoy, there are no prizes for self-deprivation - - and another thing - - - -)
09-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There's something to be said for taking photos with an OVF, as long as you aren't taking photos of things like welding, or a solar eclipse with protection.
Wouldn't a well-designed EVF be able to reduce the intensity of dangerous light sources like welding, so that you could look straight at it with that EFV and have no negative effects? I think protecting your vision is a legitimate reason to use an EVF over an OVF.

Someone could certainly design an EVF with a mode specifically for viewing eclipses, for example.
09-04-2019, 11:32 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Wouldn't a well-designed EVF be able to reduce the intensity of dangerous light sources like welding, so that you could look straight at it with that EFV and have no negative effects? I think protecting your vision is a legitimate reason to use an EVF over an OVF.

Someone could certainly design an EVF with a mode specifically for viewing eclipses, for example.
Probably best be careful. While the EVF might be OK you can seriously damage you sensor taking images of those sorts of things.

09-04-2019, 01:45 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I knew there was a reason NHTSA should outlaw the blue High Intensity Discharge LED headlamps on those expensive SUV’s. At night it is impossible to look away from them since they are perfectly at the eye height of any oncoming sedan driver, so not only are they quite blinding and thus a safety hazard, they’re damaging to opposing drivers’ eyesight!
There is or used to be a regulation governing the angle headlights had to be set as they are cast onto the road ahead. This was specifically to avoid blinding oncoming drivers from seeing what is in front of them. It seems, however, this is being ignored by manufacturers, if their lobbyists have not succeeded in eliminating this regulation altogether, and not enforced. I've been retired now for numerous years, but while still working I had not seen anything regarding violations of this type. But maybe back then it was not yet a problem.
09-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
No movement necessary, no... I don't foresee any pitchforks nor torches being gathered over any of this...
I thought the same about 5G mobile transmissions until the other day, too, but some people seem to make an identity out of finding things to oppose, especially where it involves a scientific understanding.

I do, nonetheless, take your point about influencing purchase decisions. The two outcomes are, after all, just the bookends to a spectrum of reactions in between.
09-05-2019, 02:09 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

about 5G mobile transmissions
especially where it involves a scientific understanding.
And if people really do look at the science on this, no way they'd ever have 5G, Say No To 5G.
09-05-2019, 02:38 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
And if people really do look at the science on this, no way they'd ever have 5G, Say No To 5G.
There are, as yet, no evidence that exposure to mobile phones, whether that be 2,3, 4 or 5G has any detrimental effect on human health. Except if you text and drive. That will kill you.
09-05-2019, 03:43 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
whether that be 2,3, 4 or 5G
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
no evidence
there is for 2, 3, and 4, the point is not enough is known about 5G.

09-05-2019, 04:49 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

there is for 2, 3, and 4, the point is not enough is known about 5G.

Professor Olle Johansson speaks with STOP 5G Global - 2019 - YouTube
It's basic science and some of the scaremongering going on is ignoring that basic science. 4G networks use frequencies 600 MHz to 6 GHz and 5G uses frequencies in the 28 GHz to (potentially) 300 GHz range. At this point, most 5G networks are using 28 GHz and 39 GHz. Most testing has stayed below 73 GHz and it's unlikely that 300 GHz will become a reality.

Mobile/cell phones, microwave ovens, cordless phones, millimeter waves, airport millimeter scanners, motion detectors, long-distance telecommunications, radar, Wi-Fi all operate between 1 and 300 GHz. Of course, mobile phones are low power devices. 1.5W vs your microwave oven's 1,200W.

28 to 300 GHz is still safely in the microwave frequency range. Beyond that, frequencies move into the infrared light range and from there into the visible light spectrum. Beyond that into UV and from there into the range of frequencies that are not so good for us.

At this point, most of us have been walking around with a mobile phone for 20-25 years and there has been no evidence of any detrimental effect, other than the aforementioned idiots driving while on the phone.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-05-2019 at 04:56 AM.
09-06-2019, 03:29 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If people want to ignore the risks then so be it, I'll leave it with you.
09-06-2019, 10:01 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If people want to ignore the risks then so be it, I'll leave it with you.
Well, I'd be the first to listen if there was some evidence of any risk. After all, I do use my mobile phone a lot.
But, several full body MRI and CT scans later, the scans were probably worse for my health than the mobile phone usage.
I suspect 5G will be no different to 4G in that regard.