Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I suggest that we stop speculating about supposed health effects from LED light or 5G or whatever thing we think is going to kill us next and go out into the sun and shoot some photos.
Good idea!

Wait, did you say "go out into the sun???"

The sun is far more dangerous than LED lighting or 5G! The sun is just one giant ball for generating retina burns, heat stroke, and melanoma! We need to ban the sun!

09-09-2019, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Good idea!

Wait, did you say "go out into the sun???"

The sun is far more dangerous than LED lighting or 5G! The sun is just one giant ball for generating retina burns, heat stroke, and melanoma! We need to ban the sun!
Well spotted. That's why I mentioned it. Plus the fact that spring seems slow in arriving. Far too much snow on the ranges.
09-10-2019, 01:11 PM - 2 Likes   #48
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I suggest that we stop speculating about supposed health effects from LED light or 5G or whatever thing we think is going to kill us next and go out into the sun and shoot some photos.
->sarcasm<-
Sun? I live in the Pacific Northwest..... What is this sun thing your are talking about?

Must be some Southern Hemisphere conspiracy.
Tell, me does this so-called sun move left to right when you face the equator? If not, then that might be the problem -> generalization <- everyone knows things in the sky move left to right ->end generalization<-
->end sarcasm<-

---------- Post added 09-10-19 at 01:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The problem is that while we know that the rates are increasing for various things including autism, auto immune diseases and certain types of cancers, we don't know why. There has been speculation about cell phone use and cancers, but certainly to this point it has not shown any obvious association.

This was a good analysis in Forbes about the subject awhile ago: Are Brain Cancer Rates Increasing, And Do Changes Relate To Cell Phone Use?

I would say that overall there are many things that people know are dangerous that they continue to do, including eating unhealthy diets, choose not exercise sufficiently, and drive in unsafe manners. Certainly the risk of cell phone radiation or LED light exposure is fairly small compared to the other controllable factors in our lives. To this point, EVFs do give me headaches and eye strain and so I choose not to use them, even if I could do so and keep my vision intact.
You get your health information from a financial site? Yikes. I stopped paying attention to Forbes after they raised the false flag about Super Micro server motherboards "secretly sending information back to China". As if the network people at Amazon, Google, etc. could not detect all that traffic leaving their datacenters. As a ex-datacenter server administrator their statements were simply laughable. I suggest that anyone using Forbes as a source take what they publish with a little salt. Bonneville comes to mind.

As for headaches from EVF's, that is most likely a result of the flickering. When I spend way too much time staring at my monitors (note the s on the end of that word) I tend to have eye issues too. The flickering of the displays are why I don't like live view. My uncorrected eyesight is so bad that when I use live view I have to get close enough to where I can see the pixels as discrete squares - and yes they flicker. Looking at the LCD for any length of time is really tiring and requires me to remove my glasses. So I end up looking like a fool, trying to anticipate what my next shot is going to be by flipping my glasses on and off and getting really close to the back of the camera.

Last edited by PDL; 09-10-2019 at 01:31 PM.
09-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
->sarcasm<-
Sun? I live in the Pacific Northwest..... What is this sun thing your are talking about?

Must be some Southern Hemisphere conspiracy.
Tell, me does this so-called sun move left to right when you face the equator? If not, then that might be the problem -> generalization <- everyone knows things in the sky move left to right ->end generalization<-
->end sarcasm<-

---------- Post added 09-10-19 at 01:30 PM ----------

You get your health information from a financial site? Yikes. I stopped paying attention to Forbes after they raised the false flag about Super Micro server motherboards "secretly sending information back to China". As if the network people at Amazon, Google, etc. could not detect all that traffic leaving their datacenters. As a ex-datacenter server administrator their statements were simply laughable. I suggest that anyone using Forbes as a source take what they publish with a little salt. Bonneville comes to mind.

As for headaches from EVF's, that is most likely a result of the flickering. When I spend way too much time staring at my monitors (note the s on the end of that word) I tend to have eye issues too. The flickering of the displays are why I don't like live view. My uncorrected eyesight is so bad that when I use live view I have to get close enough to where I can see the pixels as discrete squares - and yes they flicker. Looking at the LCD for any length of time is really tiring and requires me to remove my glasses. So I end up looking like a fool, trying to anticipate what my next shot is going to be by flipping my glasses on and off and getting really close to the back of the camera.
The author of that article is well respected oncologist. I don't know much about Forbes but the article seemed to be well reason and insightful.

As far as using monitors giving eye strain, they don't. I use a lap top all day long and it never bothers me. There is something different with the EVF that really bothers me. Not sure what it is, but I suppose eventually the camera makers will solve it (although the resulting EVF may be quite a bit more expensive than using an OVF).

10-01-2019, 03:39 AM   #50
Veteran Member

A useful article.
10-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I was a kid my mom was always yelling at me if I got to close to the TV - "you're going to damage your eyes that way!".

And now with EVFs people put their eye (just one of them!) right ON the screen. Maybe my childhood has something to do with why I don't really enjoy using EVFs and why I feel rustrated using them, especially in low light or when panning.
10-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #52
Veteran Member

There were different screens back then. Kinescopic tube with electron emission.