Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2019, 03:39 AM - 4 Likes   #151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, just a couple of weeks ago with the 70-200mm G Master f2.8 … after thirty minutes I went 'meh', gave it back, and resumed with my K-1.

I have been a FF Sony shooter for four years now, BTW, but you, Dan …
My comment wasn't intended to offend you. I was asking if you used A7R III after the firmware update because as I said in the previous comment, the af of Sony's third generation of cameras was quite unpredictable in terms of eye af and overall tracking. I'm shooting with A7 III quite often because I have a friend that I go out with who has it. I've shot a lot with it in order to improve my shooting experience with EVFs (training my eyes basically). I hated that camera before the af firmware update and after the update it became pretty close to what Sony adverts looked like at the release of that camera.

You used to be dismissive of photographers buying shiny new things for the sake of being shiny new things.
I still am and I don't buy new things, I just play with new things. There is a difference. I bought EOS R because it helps me, but I have also my DSLR for wildlife.

You used to defend your little Canon 6D against all the mirrorless novelties, and yet you've become a publicist and salesman for them, by that listing you did in the other thread of all the new and upcoming R mount lenses next year.
I still defend photographers who go out and practice all day long and improve their technique. I go out as much as I can with a lot better photographers than me and I use a lot less expensive gear than they use. As I said many times, all cameras released in the last 5 years can do the job done with proper technique and experience. For some specific shots you need to work extra and for some situations you may loose certain moments. When you loose more and more important moments due to demanding/difficult subjects, you either get over them, you either go back and practice more, or you go and upgrade your camera, your lens or both. I was out a week or so ago to shoot some birds with 6D (the first model) and I got consistent results because I know that camera very well. I also missed some shots which I know I normally wouldn't have missed them and I remembered why I bought 5D Mark IV. I share my experience without any reason to convert anyone, but because as I told you, I find user experience more important than internet reviews or lab tests. It's not my fault that some people can't forget about camera brands and extract only the informations they need or they think they can use.

Or is It really you, maybe it's Surfar who's hacked your account and is posting all this …

I quite liked the old Dan, he wasn't the besotted type, the born again.
I had some private conversations with him and he's quite a nice guy, as I'm sure most of people here are. Trust me, if we had this discussion over a beer and with some models posing for us, a lot of what I say or what you say would have had a different impact and understanding. But we have to deal with the shortcomings of forums and hope that our comments are not received in a wrong way. It seems we have to work harder and practice more in this regard.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 09-19-2019 at 04:09 AM.
09-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #152
Pentaxian

We know. From this post, and all your others.
Yes - I have my own way of thinking, served me extremely well in my life

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But do you like "staged" sporting events?
Staged sporting events? Like Pro Wrestling? No i dont like those "sports"

My guess is that you aren't aware of all of the "action" images that you have seen have actually used flashes.
Might be the case, I don't know

A lot of the best skate boarding/snow boarding shots are taken with the use of strobes and without them the images are much flatter (and it may be harder to freeze the motion.
Ah.. Yes, might be of this reason... havent seen a lot of skating/snowboarding photos at all. I don't like those "sports"
10-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

aside from the cost and all, the advantage i find with mirrorless is:
1) size. Sure, you add any lens onto the body and the size goes away. Maybe. However, even with a batter grip and a decent sized lens on the Sony A7RII that I have, it is still smaller than my K1+battery grip+similar sized lenses. The Sony weighs considerably less too. So if traveling, even with the weight of extra batteries added, it is considerably lighter. (I do enjoy heavier gear, so the weight doesn't really impact me much. but if traveling, i would want lighter and smaller gear).
2) convenience of batteries with the grip. sure, the battery life on DSLRs is considerably better. but i do fear that one day the battery pins may break off on my K1 battery grip when i'm trying to access the battery in the body. the Sony a7rII makes it so easy to access both the batteries through the grip. less moving parts. less changes of things to break. Moreover, i do enjoy the versatility of charging battery IN the camera if we are in a pinch.
3) limited chimping. I have gotten so comfortable with my K1 that i hardly ever chimp after I've taken the image as I know how the end result will look. However, with the Sony a7rII, it limits my chimping even more as I can see almost what the entire image will look like at the end. get everything right in the camera is a great thing to see.
4)focus peaking!!! Sure the k1 has it too. And technically speaking i can use live view and it will result in something similar to evf would allow through focus peaking. however, the ability to zoom into an image in a greater fashion than on the K1, I am getting more keepers on the sony than on the pentax when focusing manually. maybe its my limited experience as a photographer?

however, with that being said, the EVF so far (of all the cameras i've seen/tried with evf), i still prefer the optical view finder over EVF as looking at screens (in my opinion) will never be sufficient to optical view finders due to lag and how light is reiterated in the EVF
i also enjoy how my pentax feels in my hands, so i'm not ready to fully transition over 100% to sony, though some of my favorite lenses are only compatible on Sony and not on pentax.
10-06-2019, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #154
Pentaxian

I honestly think mirrorless is total gimmick right now. I have liveview with one button in K-1 and that's it.

Manufacturers are using MILC as a tool to sell people all their photostuff again in different clothing. They should instead focus on making use of short register distance but all that is happening is huge lenses weighting more than their DSLR counterpart thanks to f/1.0 disease.