Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What could be the reasons for...

What are the reasons for loading small photos to flickr? I like to browse photos on flickr and was wondering why some people only load small photo's ( like 1500 x 1004)? When I see a photo I like, I prefer to magnify it, to be immersed in it, to explore it. I can't do that with a small photo. I won't fave a small photo because of it. Am I being an A** about this? Probably, but was just curious on your thoughts.

Seriously what do you think? Are they afraid someone will take their image? If so, I would say a lot of them don't have to worry about their images being stolen because, how do I put this delicately(?), their images suck... But even my sucky images are upload full size..

Or is because of space limitations dictated by flickr

Or something else. I need to know or I won't sleep tonight..well I will sleep but I would still like to know.

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
Seriously what do you think?
Theft prevention. I limit viewing size to 1600 on the long axis and disallow download entirely. If a person wishes to immerse themselves, they may contact me to purchase a print. Note that Flickr may also limit the viewing size arbitrarily depending on the size of the browser window. For example, your flag photo does not zoom full size on my laptop screen.

Steve

(...have found high resolution versions of my work floating around Tumblr with no attribution...not happy...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 6 Days Ago at 06:35 PM.
6 Days Ago   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't use social media so I might be off base, but maybe people post to Facebook etc where there are size limitations and so rather than make several sizes of the same photo they simply use a small size?
6 Days Ago   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm guessing for most people it is "Or is because of space limitations dictated by flickr" . And I think many people don't seem to know how to size photos anyhow. I'm always suspicious of people who hide the exif. Occasionally you can tell that some did not probably take the photos.

I like to see a large photo also, i guess that's why instagram doesn't have the same appeal to me as Flickr.

6 Days Ago   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not everyone has a fast internet connection so in some cases it just takes too long to upload full res images. But mostly I suspect it is a theft prevention tactic.
6 Days Ago   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
What are the reasons for loading small photos to flickr?
. . .

My reason is Flickr is handy as a host for linking photos to Pentax Forums threads. Sometimes I just want to illustrate a post and don't need any more than 1000 pixels wide.
6 Days Ago   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think those people probably don't care about your immersion into their photo.
6 Days Ago   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
My reason is Flickr is handy as a host for linking photos to Pentax Forums threads. Sometimes I just want to illustrate a post and don't need any more than 1000 pixels wide.
I think you are saying that's the largest you need because this is the only use You probably know you can embed the pic in multiple size choices here so the size here is preserved.

Personally I like seeing my friends pictures and zooming in on them on Flickr. I post mine in full size as I don't really worry about theft. If it happens it will piss me off but that's the price of sharing my work with friends and family via Flickr.

6 Days Ago   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think you are saying that's the largest you need because this is the only use You probably know you can embed the pic in multiple size choices here so the size here is preserved.
. . .
Yes and yes. Thanks for clarifying, Uncle.
6 Days Ago   #10
Pentaxian

The free Flickr only has a 1000 photo limit at whatever size. No reason to limit size because of restrictions. I think theft is the best reason but probably has more to do with editing for other media first with Flickr the after thought. The majority of people only see photos on their phone so they don't care about the immersive experience.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok. Lots of things i didn't think of...like the social media (how big does it need to be for viewing on a phone?...prob not very big), slow connection, linking...and some of mine that are small (that I just thought of) because they were limited at time of upload by my (free) flickr account many years ago.
1 Day Ago   #12
Pentaxian

I started using flickr in 2010, average screen resolutions were lower then. The preset I made for exporting out of Lightroom to flickr was 1024 on the long side, which was plenty big for the screens of most of my friends and family at the time (like other posters, theft was also a reason to limit size). When I look through old stuff in my stream, flickr sometimes decides to serve up an image 640 on the long side, which looks a bit like a postage stamp on an average 22" 1080p monitor.

A couple years ago I upped my preset to 1680 on the long side. I don't use flickr all that much, and I'm not sure if there's a huge point to upping this size when most of my friends and family are now viewing on screens ranging from 5" to 10".