Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #1

Tripod Help

Hello Pentaxians,

I am relatively new to photography, and am looking to purchase my first tripod, but have some general questions I am hoping to get some guidance on. I enjoy landscape, street, nighttime and macro photography. I intend on using the tripod primarily on backpacking trips and road trips to various locations, and less frequently in the city. I shoot primarily primes in the 15mm - 100mm range, but could potentially shoot up to 200mm/300mm.

I am looking at the RRS 24L and 34L tripods. Given that I don't intend to shoot over 300mm, the RRS sales representative recommended I purchase the 24L.

My question is this: even if a lens is well within a tripod's given threshold, is there any material photographic advantage to purchasing a larger tripod? For example, if I'm shooting a long exposure shots such as a night shot or astrophotography, does a beefier tripod potentially provide a sharper image even if the lens' focal length is shorter? Additional factors, such as windy days, would also seem to lend itself to the 34L.

I intend on getting the fixed apex since I don't plan on using a center column or leveling base (I'm purchasing the Acratech GP that can serve as a leveling base). The size and dimensions of the TFC 24L/34L are virtually identical, the only real difference is the 34L is .75lbs heavier. I don't mind carrying the extra weight backpacking if it could potentially provide higher quality pictures, but don't wan't to purchase if the extra size doesn't provide any benefits.

Thoughts??

09-14-2019, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #2

I can't imagine 40 libs max or 50 libs max making a difference for a 10 lib load (or less)

It is actually the tripod head that matters more.

I can't be bothered writing a long reply here but basically you can weigh a lighter tripod down to make it bulkier. You can (and should) balance a long lens (center of mass) and think about the tripod head

Also, the best camera is the one you have. That also applies to tripods. Lighter is better when travelling.
09-14-2019, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weight bearing ratings mean very little. With big lenses it's all about rigidity, but for the lenses and uses you mention any decent tripod will do IMO - especially if you habitually use a remote shutter release. More pertinent is practicality. Get a tripod that you will be happy carrying around and using. So consider size, weight, functions...
09-14-2019, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Kranzy that the weight capacity of the tripod head is more important than the tripod. The hook under the tripod to hang your bag Is a nice feature.

One thing I noticed was that the folded length of the RRS 24L/34L is about 23 inches. I usually like something smaller that can fit in a carry-on suitcase for airplane travel. That’s why I have 2 tripods: one for when I am driving somewhere and a smaller one for hiking or plane travel.

A quick release plate on the tripod head is a must have feature. All set if you are getting the Acrateach head.

09-15-2019, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Nashville1986 Quote
Tripod Help
To be honest I don't think you can go wrong with RRS products.

Me, I would always go with bigger, as it allows you to grow into it (buy it right once).

While your doing shopping at RRS, have a wee look at their BH-55 with the B2 Pro II Clamp, IMHO there is no finer head available...

I bought my first one for a specific purpose... I've included the links to give you the full story.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/3-legged-thing-l-bracket.html

Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro with B2 Pro II Clamp reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/platypod-max.html

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 09-15-2019 at 01:57 AM.
09-15-2019, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An RRS tripod will do you for the rest of your life. I'd go for the TVC-24L with a levelling bowl and the BH-40 head, rather than faff with a multi-adjustable head, but that's your call. Do you really need the Long version? As others have already said, the regular version is more compact for backpacking or fitting in airline-standard hand luggage.
09-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the comments. Interesting that the weight capacity of the head is more important than the tripod. I thought that generally the limiting factor of a tripod is not the weight that it can hold, but the focal length of the lens due to vibrations. For example a 2 series RRS tripod is only recommended up to 400mm due to vibrations (I think), even though from a weight perspective it can easily hold much larger lenses. I guess that was the gist of my question is does the reduction in vibration from a larger tripod result in any higher quality of picture from lower focal length lenses (15mm – 200mm) to merit the additional increased weight of the tripod. I don’t think I would ever shoot anything over 200/300mm. If I get a GP or BH-40/55 head, I would think that they could both comfortably hold anything under 400mm so I’m not too concerned about that.