Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is This ND Filter Worthwhile?

Has anyone tried this ND filter?

I get ads for it on Facebook nearly every day.

In addition to being inexpensive it looks like you can dial differert stops from one filter assembly.

Not expecting Lee or Cokin quality, but it looks useful for someone who rarely uses/is not experienced with ND filters. I did look at some reviews, all of which are in broken english from places like Mongolia, China and Russia...Maybe that should tell me

Thanks

09-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #2

I'm not following Facebook links but I didn't see anything immediate when I searched for aional nd2-400. Nd2-400 does appear on Amazon under other brands. Probably the same filter with different labels.

This might be helpful, especially the part on variable ND filters.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/hands-on-review/a-guide-to-...981&

09-17-2019, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The whole sales pitch looks sketchy enough for me to pass. It's cheap, but I would rather spend two or three times that and get a good quality filter that I will enjoy using rather than regret buying. But who knows? Maybe it is a good filter. Let us know if you decide to try.
09-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
I'm not following Facebook links but I didn't see anything immediate when I searched for aional nd2-400. Nd2-400 does appear on Amazon under other brands. Probably the same filter with different labels.

This might be helpful, especially the part on variable ND filters.

A Complete Guide to Neutral Density Filters
Thanks jspi....Good article on B&H.

---------- Post added 09-17-19 at 08:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The whole sales pitch looks sketchy enough for me to pass. It's cheap, but I would rather spend two or three times that and get a good quality filter that I will enjoy using rather than regret buying. But who knows? Maybe it is a good filter. Let us know if you decide to try.
Thanks jatrax....If I take the chance, I'll provide an update.

09-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In the same price range, I think I would sooner get one from K&F Concept, if for no other reason because they are a well-known vendor and offer 30-day no-reason return.

ND2-ND400 Filter - K&F Concept

Of course, neither of those two factors indicate quality and FWIW, the K&F appears to be identical to the Kernel-brand at aional.com. Things to evaluate once the filter comes?
  • Filtering all the way to the edge at all settings? (some inexpensive filters lack coverage at the edges)
  • Density is consistent across the full surface at all settings? (not blotchy)
  • Color cast at any or all settings? (evaluate this using fixed white balance)
  • Maximum density a true filter factor "400"? (8 2/3 stops)
  • Does AF still work?
  • Easy-on?
  • Easy-off? (as with CPL, removal might be a challenge)
  • Vignette with wide-angle lenses?
Let us know your experience.

Steve

(...no relation to Kent Faith, K&F or any other filter vendor...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-17-2019 at 05:18 PM.
09-17-2019, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Neutral Density filters is an area where you can get 'Seriously' disappointed. Color shift, clarity, quality. And Variable Neutral Density filters can be even more disappointing. Anything over a 6 stop Variable ND is a waste. In my opinion.
09-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mwilky55 Quote
Has anyone tried this ND filter?

In addition to being inexpensive it looks like you can dial differert stops from one filter assembly.
QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
Variable Neutral Density filters can be even more disappointing.
I agree with @Roadboat. Variable ND filters are essentially two polarizers and shooting through two pieces of glass is going to degrade your image unlike a single element ND.
I would not recommend it.

09-17-2019, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #8

For variable ND filters... Since they're two polarized filters, they're bad for wide angle landscapes which include the sky. You'll end up with bands of light and dark sky which looks weird. It's not an issue of cheap filters, it's just what happens with polarized filters. Regular ND filters are not polarized so they don't have the issue.

09-17-2019, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Ummm there is a sort of built in neutral density filter, if you use the multi exposure mode you can effectively have the same result for no cost just by taking many shots and combining them ( in camera or software)
09-17-2019, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another issue with VND filters is that the polarizer elements can fade over time and not necessarily evenly with regards to wavelength so coloration can set in and the maximum ND value will decline with age. You're always stuck with polarization with this type filter which, as has been pointed out, has its own issues. They do have uses but I would go with a good fixed value ND filter myself.
09-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Ummm there is a sort of built in neutral density filter, if you use the multi exposure mode you can effectively have the same result for no cost just by taking many shots and combining them ( in camera or software)
As long as the camera supports high enough shutter speed and narrow enough aperture and the action has paucity of detail. I have used this technique on moving water in the past and was amused to see a small spot of foam rendered as a trail of dashes tracing the flow of current down the river.

Steve
09-17-2019, 11:21 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As long as the camera supports high enough shutter speed and narrow enough aperture and the action has paucity of detail. I have used this technique on moving water in the past and was amused to see a small spot of foam rendered as a trail of dashes tracing the flow of current down the river.

Steve
I like the idea of bubble tracing down the stream, I think we can get up to 99 shots merged in camera, giving a pretty good chance for the bubbles to become invisible
09-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

a similar filter gave me very inconsistent exposure across the frame ( some darker, some lighter areas ) at higher ND settings, at low & moderate setting not so bad, really next to useless for 30 sec exposures.
09-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi, just wanted to thank everyone for the usual Pentax Forum helpfulness. Based on the views I've read, seems like the cons outweigh any potential pros. Glad I asked. Thank you all again.
09-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #15

So I just checked... I bought this one and used it once (same part number you referenced). It had weird diagnol purple bands across every photo. Not a single useable photo that day. I should test it again but I haven't wanted to waste another day on it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNSK4WS?tag=pentaxforums-20&