Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The last 4 I uploaded were accepted. But it took a few days.

02-02-2020, 11:17 PM   #107
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Steady on old chap, exactly what vote are you referring to? As I appear to be accused of backsliding I would like to know why before I respond....
It appears to me that if you are part of the viewers who upload to PPG and complain about the quality or timeliness of getting images accepted and you do not vote, then you are part of your own problem. It appears to me that this situation is similar to voting in general, if you do not vote - you forfeit your rational for complaints. In order to create "better" content, you should be part of the voting group, otherwise keep your comments to yourself.
02-03-2020, 01:49 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
It appears to me that if you are part of the viewers who upload to PPG and complain about the quality or timeliness of getting images accepted and you do not vote, then you are part of your own problem. It appears to me that this situation is similar to voting in general, if you do not vote - you forfeit your rational for complaints. In order to create "better" content, you should be part of the voting group, otherwise keep your comments to yourself.
I suggest you go back and read my post, and then once you've done that you may want to read your posts and work out exactly where along the way you flew off at a tangent because I don't like your tone.

I am unfamiliar with the PPG, I don't know much about it and so asked a question. I've looked at some of the work on there and it is stunning, but I don't know if I could match up to that standard and don't expect to submit images. I have seen nothing on that website that relates to a vote, there is nothing on that website that indicates what criteria the images need to pass, so you going off at me for not voting is a little difficult to comprehend.

So, going to calm down and try again?
02-03-2020, 02:29 AM - 3 Likes   #109
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest you go back and read my post, and then once you've done that you may want to read your posts and work out exactly where along the way you flew off at a tangent because I don't like your tone.

I am unfamiliar with the PPG, I don't know much about it and so asked a question. I've looked at some of the work on there and it is stunning, but I don't know if I could match up to that standard and don't expect to submit images. I have seen nothing on that website that relates to a vote, there is nothing on that website that indicates what criteria the images need to pass, so you going off at me for not voting is a little difficult to comprehend.

How PPG works is that all users of the site can vote. So, should you submit there, your images are accepted or declined by popular vote by any members who choose to vote on the images submitted. That means that the quality of images accepted is not determined by PPG but rather by the users. As such, if we want to see better content on PPG then it's up to us (the users) to vote down poor submissions and vote up good submissions.

I think what's being said here is that complaining about the content on PPG serves no useful purpose - voting, on the other hand, can have an effect as to content.

I think the person you responded to was under the impression that you participate on PPG but don't vote. That appears to be an error.

02-03-2020, 03:03 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
How PPG works is that all users of the site can vote. So, should you submit there, your images are accepted or declined by popular vote by any members who choose to vote on the images submitted. That means that the quality of images accepted is not determined by PPG but rather by the users. As such, if we want to see better content on PPG then it's up to us (the users) to vote down poor submissions and vote up good submissions.

I think what's being said here is that complaining about the content on PPG serves no useful purpose - voting, on the other hand, can have an effect as to content.

I think the person you responded to was under the impression that you participate on PPG but don't vote. That appears to be an error.
Thanks Mark, that seems to answer my questions. Much obliged. Funnily enough I was responding to another thread on this forum not too long ago and the discussion was around a similar gallery. At that time I was saying that I was of the opinion that the images that were displayed in the gallery should be nominated by others not necessarily put forward by the, I'll use the term owner. It appears that in this case that is partially correct at least.
02-03-2020, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

I think right now it is a straight up vote. If your image gets enough votes or a high enough percentage of them, it is in.

When I first attempted to get an image on PPG (in pre-Hoya days), it was a two step procedure. First, your image had to clear the voting bar, which usually took a few weeks. Then, it went to a human curator who evaluated it to see if it was appropriate/good enough for the PPG. I had a number of photos that cleared the voting bar and failed in the second step. Not sure if the change is bad or good, but it certainly does allow more images in than before.
02-03-2020, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

The only thing the PPG says about what kind of photos should be uploaded...from the upload page...

QuoteQuote:
A Few Things to Consider About Your Photographs
  • Dimensions: The minimal image size is 900 pixels high. Images larger than this will be automatically resized. Images smaller than this will not be uploaded to the site.
  • Image Format: JPG/JPEG format photographs only. No BMPs. No GIFs. No TIFFs. No RAW.
  • File Size: The maximum upload file size is 15 megabytes.
    [*]Text/Watermark: Do not add text or graphics around or overtop your image. This includes watermarks, single pixel keylines, frames and borders around the image. Also not allowed are dates, copyright info or URLs on top of the image. Please do not include multiple images within one image.
  • Categories: Photos must be selected for one of these categories: Abstract, B&W, Cityscape/ Urban, Documentary, Glamour/Fashion, HDR, In-Camera Effects, Landscapes, Lifestyle, Macro, Nature, Portraiture, Sports/Action, Travel, Food.
  • Limit: There is a limit of five photos that you can upload within a given week. This is based off of seven days from the current day.
    [*]Please keep images unique and interesting. Images of one subject, in one location shot at slightly different angles should not be submitted for review.
I'm not sure the 5 image limit still applies, they might have broken that...There used to be a help section that gave further guidance. Photos aren't supposed to have filters/effects applied except for in-camera effects...I used to run across the last a lot, somewhat guilty of it myself...

02-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #113
PDL
Pentaxian

You are unfamiliar with PPG and yet you make comments about whether you are good enough to upload images. Well, give it a shot and see what happens. "I don't know if I could match up to that standard" is a cop out. PPG is not hosted by Pentax Forums, it has a very checkered past due to Pentax, Hoya and now Ricoh's proclaimed level of support and interest.

This tread is about PPG - not the Pentax Forum's Gallery that has been discussed in other threads. The criteria for uploads and voting are provided for members once you become a member just like the monthly contests here. One issue I have is with people commenting out of context about the "quality" or "quantity" of images on a site they do not understand or participate in.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, but if you are not a participant or you do not think you are good enough then why comment at all?
02-04-2020, 02:04 AM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, but if you are not a participant or you do not think you are good enough then why comment at all?
I'm sorry, have I upset you in some way or are you naturally grumpy?

My desire for information is just that, a desire for information about something I have no knowledge. I tend to find that if I ask questions I find things out.

One day I may just chance my arm and see if my images are good enough.
02-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #115
Site Supporter

I wonder if the exif is correct. I see a lot of pictures with the very old camera,s
02-05-2020, 09:52 AM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
I wonder if the exif is correct. I see a lot of pictures with the very old camera,s
Flickr's photo of the year was shot with a K-x. What's your point?
02-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #117
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Flickr's photo of the year was shot with a K-x. What's your point?
Nothing just noticed. Saw so many ist dL.
02-05-2020, 08:49 PM   #118
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
Nothing just noticed. Saw so many ist dL.
Haven't you read my comments about my voting? Very few "newer" models and a whole lot of *ist models. I wonder how far back Ricoh image list is.

The two images I uploaded yesterday have not passed muster as of yet.
03-30-2020, 01:17 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It appears that if I edit any image and submit it, it will start to load and then I get the error that the upload failed. If I take a straight from the camera JPG of the same image, it uploads fine. I have gone through every setting in Corel Paint Shop Pro 2020 and can't see anywhere that the exif information is being altered. Very frustrating, you can't even crop without it preventing the site to upload.
03-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #120
PDL
Pentaxian

I have had three more images accepted over the last week or so. I submitted the three images early February and they sat there for six weeks. I deleted them waited a week and I have been submitting the same images one at a time. The first one took over a week to get approved, the second one took two or three days and the last one took one day.

I am using Capture One Pro to process the images and I make sure that they are just under the upload limit of 15MB and they hit the pixel limit on the longest side. I do not change the dimensions but I will tweak the JPEG compression to get the images below 15MB.

@ sawtooth235
Download a copy of ExifTool and verify what the is contained in the appropriate fields. I have used Corel software in the distant past and I was not impressed so your mileage will vary.