Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
That's sounds bad and I am totally understand your frustration.
I had similar experiences in public places but never have anyone ask me to pay. Maybe I have never photographed a cow!?

The latest incident for me was early last month in front of a Train station which I know for a fact that it is ok to photograph even inside a train station here, and people here do it all the time with either phone or camera. I walk past this place with interesting ceiling light with my tour group, so we stop taking a photo. Basically pointing cameras up for the ceiling, not even pointing at what in front. An old lady stops at a distance and starts yelling in Japanese." Why you guys taking a photo here. YOu, foreigner...(discrimination wording follow)...etc".
If you live here you will know discrimination comment is still fairly common, especially if you don't have a Caucasian look. Anyway, Not everyone does this. Just "SOME" and mostly older generation. [I can imagine seeing these people freaking out seeing mass foreigner coming for the 2020 Olympic, lol.] No-one in my group understands Japanese neither care to look at her. They were busy composing a shot. I am the only one not taking a photo. [I sometimes do a photo walk, and when I take people out, I usually watch out for an oncoming car, and or any potential weird people (like this old lady!).] I told my group to wrap up, and we leave. I explain to them what just happened later on.

I hate this type of non-written rule people made for themselves and try to enforce it on another even in a public space. But what can I do.

10-01-2019, 09:06 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sadly, the world has become afraid of photography.
10-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #33
Pentaxian

The world is afraid of photography and just afraid. Reddit has a sub all about people who tell others what they are allowed.
Gatekeeping
10-01-2019, 10:56 PM - 2 Likes   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Have you noticed it's easier to take photos with smartphones than serious cameras?
Absolutely. My K-70 + PLM are cheaper than some modern phones, but hey, "the menacing big black camera has to be a professional one and it's my responsibility to make sure he doesn't make a fortune by taking pictures near MY summer house". Absolutely ridiculous.
This kind of stuff makes me look in the direction of Olympus more often than I'd like to admit.

10-02-2019, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never been asked to pay money, but I get approached much more often than I did in years past. I've been walking around my neighborhood for decades with my camera slung over my shoulder. Many times with a longer lens for birding but most times just a smaller prime or an all purpose zoom lens. Over the last several years we've had an influx of new residents and now not a week goes by without someone coming up to me and basically demanding to know why I'm carrying around a camera and what I'm up to. I've even been asked while I was shooting in my own front yard with a tripod pointed at a birds nest in my own tree. The level of fear of just about anything anymore amazes and saddens me.
10-02-2019, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Sadly, the world has become afraid of photography.
I’m afraid so, try not to get arrested. Have fun and be safe.
10-02-2019, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Ignorance is a bliss - for the ignorant...

10-02-2019, 04:44 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Google "sunflower fields trampled by photographers" or some variation. Hordes of photographers are acting like self entitled turds (a common trait of most hordes). This could have been a reaction to that in a farmer vs photographer way. It wouldn't necessarily matter that you weren't in a horde, or were being respectful, or were more likely to be trampled by the cattle than to trample them - it's easy to start hating everyone with a camera at the side of the road if you know or identify with someone whose livelihood was impacted by a camera horde.
10-02-2019, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
it beeing a gravel road may mean you where on private property
Likely not. There are lots of gravel roads out in Wisconsin and Minnesota so completely public spaces and it usually becomes clear when you have accidentally wandered onto a a farmer's dirt/gravel driveway. I frequently shoot from gravel roads and never had a problem photographing things. Often times if I am there a while the farmer will wander down out of curiosity and ask what I am taking photos of and most of the time they don't get why I am taking a picture of the flattened barn, the tree in the middle of the field, or the hill of alfalfa. I am however a a rather muscular guy so that probably helps to keep people from trying to intimidate me.
10-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Because of all of this, I'm going try shooting more out of my car, and less from a tripod.

I did some research, and decided to purchase a new Berleback Car Window Mount. They sell for $60 - $70 at B&H, Amazon and Adorama,

Once I get this window pod, I'll put a fluid head on it. If it works out, I may end up selling my biggest tripod (a Gitzo).
Huh. I never thought this sort of product existed. I might have to invest in one of these myself, I've done a fair amount of photography from a car window in the past. :P
10-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Huh. I never thought this sort of product existed. I might have to invest in one of these myself, I've done a fair amount of photography from a car window in the past. :P
Same... Seems quite an interesting product. Might have to grab one!

I've been approached once when taking photos. There was a group of us parked by a field waiting for a blood moon and a farmer stopped to ask what we were up to
10-02-2019, 10:02 AM - 2 Likes   #42

You should have asked him how much to photograph an ******* in a Truck...

For those interested, just google "Spotting Scope Window Mount" and you can find all varieties and price ranges -

10-02-2019, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
You should have asked him how much to photograph an ******* in a Truck...

For those interested, just google "Spotting Scope Window Mount" and you can find all varieties and price ranges -

I bought the Berlebach window mount because I found a new one that was "miss priced" on Amazon for only $14 USD. I bought it. Turns out it was the last one they had in stock. Now they are back-ordered and the price is back up to $70.

Every once in a while Amazon blows it and under-prices something.
10-02-2019, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

next time say, "sure, will you take a personal check?"
10-02-2019, 01:43 PM - 3 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

I would have told him I was scouting out tipping spots.