Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I've only been confronted once, by an older woman who firmly and vehemently told me it was illegal to photograph children. This was at a farmers market and the girl was organizing produce. No relation between the girl and the older lady. I simply moved on.
Our local farmers market at one point made a big deal about their no photography policy. I can't find it on their website anymore...

10-01-2019, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dont' know what it's like now but back in the day when I was shooting landscapes with large format cameras the ranger(s) at Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada was notorious for harassing photographers for fees -- supposedly they have some fee schedule for taking pictures that might be used for any commercial purpose and that merely using large cameras or a tripod qualified in the rangers eyes as being commercial regardless of whether you were or not. Anecdotally, I had heard at the time that Jack Dykinga left the park out of his desert books because it turned out to be to difficult to get the requisite permissions. I was stopped there years after I had stopped shooting professionally and spent a half hour explaining that not all tripod users are professional photographers. New Jersey has some similar laws and I was stopped by a ranger there also and asked if I might sell the photographs I was taking and that if so I needed to stop and get a permit. Hopefully this type of attitude is not to widespread.
10-01-2019, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Have you experienced such in your face demands for money?
Photographers coming from social media are just additional cows that can be milked.

Did I experience demand for money for taking pictures? Yes. In the Dolomites, northern Italy, given the amount of crowd that resulted for photo hot spots being published in the www, the Italians realized they could exploit the opportunity to make lots of money. They even built shooting platforms so you don't even have the choice of view point (proof administrators who decided that don't have a clue about photography and don't care anyway). And it works: thousands of people each day queue to take the same smartphone picture in mid-day light, and bling-bling the money comes in. Some people fly from all over the world to see the magnificent Dolomites mountains, but when they arrive there they find money machines where they have to insert coins to take the picture that has been taken million times by everyone else.

Another situation in Iceland. Photographers are the "cash-cows" of the area. The location became so popular that it is a place to avoid.
10-01-2019, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would have suggested he remove the distracting yellow tags from their ears, otherwise the cows are only worth $0.10 per cow as far aesthetic considerations.

As for personal experiences...nothing like yours, though I was had someone tell me they were calling the police because I was photographing my own 4 year-old daughter playing on the slide at a local park.

Steve
I got angrily accosted in Austin, TX once for taking a picture of a flower+bee in a bush on the side of a public sidewalk which I was standing on when this guy in the yard beyond apparently thought I was trying to photograph his daughter shooting baskets even though she was in a different direction. Probably lucky I didn't get shot.

10-01-2019, 05:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

$100 Charge To Photograph A Single Cow!
You should have accepted the offer. $100 is not expensive for having the cow washed and bring the cow into your studio for a day of shooting.
10-01-2019, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
Dont' know what it's like now but back in the day when I was shooting landscapes with large format cameras the ranger(s) at Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada was notorious for harassing photographers for fees -- supposedly they have some fee schedule for taking pictures that might be used for any commercial purpose and that merely using large cameras or a tripod qualified in the rangers eyes as being commercial regardless of whether you were or not. Anecdotally, I had heard at the time that Jack Dykinga left the park out of his desert books because it turned out to be to difficult to get the requisite permissions. I was stopped there years after I had stopped shooting professionally and spent a half hour explaining that not all tripod users are professional photographers.
Interesting. I've been there a few times with both Pentax & Nikon gear & haven't been harassed yet. Good to know, though, just in case.
10-01-2019, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The farmer then asked that I pay him $100 per cow for taking the cow's photograph (30 cows X $100 USD = $3,000 USD total). I quickly changed the subject thinking he was joking. But then he said it again and asked for the money in a more demanding tone of voice. I packed up my gear and drove off, not wanting to get into an argument on my rights to shoot from a public right of way for personal use.
Have you experienced such in your face demands for money? Have you noticed it's easier to take photos with smartphones than serious cameras?
I haven't had demands for money, but I have had people make claims that I wasn't allowed to photograph things on private property from a public road (which is a bit silly). You're right, a DSLR arouses a bigger reaction than a smartphone or compact camera. The most recent incident was when I went to a location popular with local birders because this particular farm attracts large numbers of waterbirds. The farm grain feeds cattle in an open field, and the waterbirds are attracted to the scattered waste grain. There's a farm dam close to the fence line where the ducks congregate. I was standing on a public road photographing the ducks when a person drive up in a 4WD and asked what I was doing. I said "Photographing the ducks", surprised that I was being interrogated. They accepted my explanation and left. There have recently been incidents of animal rights activists trespassing on farms, and I think that farmers are a bit upset about this. I suspect that the person thought I was taking photos to collect information. However, if someone was doing that, would they really use a DSLR with a huge lens on it (DFA 150-450) standing out in the open on broad daylight? I could understand if I was invading someone's privacy, but photographing wild birds from a public location surely can't be illegal.

The farmer's claim in your case was utterly unreasonable and bizarre. I agree with your response to pack up and leave rather than argue about it, but it's hard to understand the mindset of someone making such a claim. I had a bizarre argument with someone in a country town who had a large aviary in their front yard. I was curious what the birds were, and had a look with my binoculars, at which point the owner (who I had not seen) started abusing me for doing so. I had been going on what was up until that point a pleasant evening walk on a public road, and what I did shouldn't have warranted the overreaction of the owner of the aviary.

10-01-2019, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #23

That is crazy. I guess you just need to go find some open range land to shoot some cows - I've got plenty wondering the woods behind me.
10-01-2019, 07:08 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've mentioned before, that when I go out with a full frame camera, a big lens, and a tripod I sometimes get a hard time by either the subject or the owner of the property I'm shooting. I exclusively shoot on public property

Sunday the wife and I were driving around rural Wisconsin looking to photograph the autumn colors. I was using my K1 with an adapted Leica 350mm lens on a Gitzo tripod.

My wife grew up on a farm and when she saw a small herd of cows in a pasture about 50 yards from the road she asked me to stop and take a photo. We were on a gravel road and had not seen another car in a long time. So I pulled over and proceeded to take the below photo.

Well, over the hill came a pickup truck. It approached and stopped directly in front of my camera. The driver said he owned the cows and asked what I was doing. I explained that I was an amateur photographer and didn't see any autumn colors to photograph, so I pulled over to practice my craft by shooting the cows.

The farmer then asked that I pay him $100 per cow for taking the cow's photograph (30 cows X $100 USD = $3,000 USD total). I quickly changed the subject thinking he was joking. But then he said it again and asked for the money in a more demanding tone of voice. I packed up my gear and drove off, not wanting to get into an argument on my rights to shoot from a public right of way for personal use.

These confrontations have become more frequent lately. To the point where I'm sometimes making gear decisions based on the amount of crap I anticipate receiving if I use larger sized gear. I don't shoot street photography, but am beginning to understand why street photographers like to use small cameras.

Many view small cameras and smartphones as non-threatening and don't mind them (my brother is always taking photos with his smartphone and has never been confronted). But these same people will get suspicious and angry if you use large pro gear (especially on a tripod).

Have you experienced such in your face demands for money? Have you noticed it's easier to take photos with smartphones than serious cameras?
for future reference as long as you are someplace you are entitled to be like a public road or a sidewalk you're good to go. however the national parks are becoming a pain in the backside especially Zion in Utah and recently a friend was given a hard time by a ranger on the skyline drive in virginia. he was using a tripod and a large lens to shoot fall color and was asked for a permit which wasn't required but at the time he didn't know so he packed up and left. i am a retired natural resources police officer and i just don't understand whats going on here. photographers in my experience are among the most concientous people you will see as far as taking care of the land. but after the military and working for state government most of my adult life i know logic never enters into anything
10-01-2019, 07:10 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Been lucky enough to be spared a confrontation, and certainly best to just move on. I have had people walk up to me at events and ask where pictures were going to be posted and how could they get some, so gear definitely leads some people to assume one is a pro.
10-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had kind of the opposite experience one time. I was shooting photos along the route our church has an annual procession on on the feast day of its patron saint. The third year (this year), I got ahead of the procession and was shooting back up the street when a man came running out of his house and asked rather bruskly what I was taking pictures of. I told him there was a church procession coming explaining the origin and history of it in one sentence, and when he looked up the street his demeanor completely changed and he said "Cool!!!" and went running back into the house to fetch his wife to come and watch. Restored my faith in people
10-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #27
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Kind of.

In 2014 I was sitting in a truck stop in Blacksburg, South Carolina resetting my hours, and decided to bobtail to Shelby, North Carolina to the store for groceries. Along the way I passed a huge junk yard full of old cars, and though I would stop and shoot a few from the road.

As I was walking along the county road, composing and shooting, a guy drove by, stopped, and approached me. He demanded I pay him for the privilege of taking photos of his junk cars. Apparently he was the owner of the junk yard.

There were no fences, and no signage concerning photography, or even trespassing.

I politely told him I was free to do as I pleased from a public road, and had no intention of paying him to photograph his junk.

What followed was a long conversation, and soon it was dark and I told him I had to get back to my trailer and load, and prepare for the next day. We ultimately had a nic talk, and he gave me his number, inviting me to get in touch the next time I passed through, and we could get together and have a beer.

A couple of the images I made that day:

10-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Because of all of this, I'm going try shooting more out of my car, and less from a tripod.

I did some research, and decided to purchase a new Berleback Car Window Mount. They sell for $60 - $70 at B&H, Amazon and Adorama,

Once I get this window pod, I'll put a fluid head on it. If it works out, I may end up selling my biggest tripod (a Gitzo).

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-06-2020 at 10:47 PM.
10-01-2019, 08:07 PM - 5 Likes   #29

You were being milked for Mooney.
10-01-2019, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This may be a rural culture specific issue in this case.
As one who lives in rural Wisconsin I can tell you that the vast majority of people here, especially the farmers or more rural folk are ridiculously suspicious of anyone they don't know.
Where I grew up my graduating class had as many people as all the people at the local high school put together so they get used to knowing everybody here. I personally hate knowing everybody because they are always in your business and you are obligated to speak to them and inquire how their exciting country life is going when you see them or you are being rude and are shunned at the next county fair or 4H gathering.

I get along well with everybody but have absolutely nothing nice to say about them, I will just leave it at that.