Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2019, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another vote for flickr, for all the reasons already stated.

10-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My choice is ImgBB. 16MB upload limit (per file), but they don't have many other restrictions.
10-02-2019, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

google photos is my go-to for sharing the entire set of images from a certain day. Why? because:
1) its free
2) unlike facebook, it does not deteriorate the images
3) its easy to access and download for whoever has that link
4) its easy to share via phone/laptop/email/etc
5) it has no ads in between, unlike flickr

the only downside to this is that if i'm doing MASSIVE images where i am compiling some 20-40 images into one massive panorama (ie, trying to replicate a field of view of a 14mm through a 100mm lens), then google photos unfortunately falls apart and wont let us download such huge images.

for those huge images, i have flickr.

I also use 500PX to show case my best of the best of the best images. that is essentially my portfolio.

I also have instagram that i showcase my 'average' shots. it gains more publicity, but if someone wants to see my work, i throw them towards 500px before insta. part of it being that i dont like how limiting insta is.

i only use facebook to upload images just to share with family. i wont ever use that to attract potential clients as the image quality is really horrible on it.

just my two cents
10-02-2019, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #19

I use my own small server.

no upload limitations. anything goes.
no terrible terms of services
not giving away my copyright
support for creative commons
no policy changes
no ad networks
no company take-overs
no account removals
no feature changes/removals
no subscription and payment changes
full control over my data
no comments

It's also a very stable long term solution, think >5-10 years, without any data lock-in. Even if the hosting goes bankrupt, it's easy to transfer everything to a new machine.

Go ask a tech savvy friend, there are plenty of gallery software and hosting options.

Last edited by K1N8; 10-02-2019 at 10:56 AM.
10-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I use SmugMug. I'm happy with it.
10-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Since you mentioned you're starting with a free service, I've been using freeimage.host. It's free and has been working well for me, but I've only been using it for a month or so. Very easy to use, but doesn't have all the community features that flickr has (that never did me all that good anyway).
10-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
google photos is my go-to for sharing the entire set of images from a certain day. Why? because:
1) its free
2) unlike facebook, it does not deteriorate the images
3) its easy to access and download for whoever has that link
4) its easy to share via phone/laptop/email/etc
5) it has no ads in between, unlike flickr

the only downside to this is that if i'm doing MASSIVE images where i am compiling some 20-40 images into one massive panorama (ie, trying to replicate a field of view of a 14mm through a 100mm lens), then google photos unfortunately falls apart and wont let us download such huge images.

for those huge images, i have flickr.

I also use 500PX to show case my best of the best of the best images. that is essentially my portfolio.

I also have instagram that i showcase my 'average' shots. it gains more publicity, but if someone wants to see my work, i throw them towards 500px before insta. part of it being that i dont like how limiting insta is.

i only use facebook to upload images just to share with family. i wont ever use that to attract potential clients as the image quality is really horrible on it.

just my two cents
That is a good shout about facebook - I definitely couldn't use it for any "serious" work: the best usage case I can make for what a business would refer to as "outreach". I think I may use it as a way of drawing folk towards the "real" portfolio.

Google photos is an interesting call actually - I was looking into that yesterday. It seems they have a limit of 16mp on their "free" storage (otherwise it takes up your storage space... of 15GB, but that includes your gmail and googleDrive as well) - I'm not sure how that would work with my uncropped photos being 16.3mp - but even then, it'd be great for sharing images even with those limitations!

It will also handle my cropped images no bother (as long as I trim at least 300'000 pixels off!) - so that'd be a good backup solution for a lot of things too.

QuoteOriginally posted by K1N8 Quote
I use my own small server.

no upload limitations. anything goes.
no terrible terms of services
not giving away my copyright
support for creative commons
no policy changes
no ad networks
no company take-overs
no account removals
no feature changes/removals
no subscription and payment changes
full control over my data
no comments

It's also a very stable long term solution, think >5-10 years, without any data lock-in. Even if the hosting goes bankrupt, it's easy to transfer everything to a new machine.

Go ask a tech savvy friend, there are plenty of gallery software and hosting options.
I've actually had a website (both hosted from my house and using 3rd party hosting) in the past - so I have a touch of experience in setting them up (though my web design skills may leave a lot to be desired... at the time I was using it for business, so it had to be sleek and minimalist - but in doing so, it was kinda boring and to-the-point.)

My plan was to "upgrade" to a personal website if my photos start garnering any real interest. I'd get it hosted though - I'm not hosting it myself again - too much hassle dealing with the constant stream of updating modules and security patches and firewalling that comes with dealing with an internet-facing computer - might as well pay a company to do it as part of their standard upkeep!

That's certainly an option - but at the same time, it's a hassle I don't really need at this stage. On the other hand, if my photos start garnering interest then it's definitely going to be on the to-do list!

I think I'll use Flickr as my main portfolio, link to it via facebook, and I'll maybe also maintain a portfolio on 500px of my best work (just using the 7-uploads/7-days free account).

I'll code up some scripts to automate all that so I can upload quickly to multiple locations too. What I'd really like to do is set it up such that I have a folder on my desktop - so I just go through my workflow and drop the files into the folders and it automatically categorises them and fires them online. It shouldn't be too hard to do as long as I tag them correctly in the exif data. Python to the rescue! If I'm doing that, then shoving it on other free sites too shouldn't really be problematic - though if I'm doing that I should really put a little more work into it, and maybe code a GUI so I can select which sites to upload it to.

--EDIT--
I'll automate the upload process later - for now I'll do it ye aulde fashioned way! Im not going to wait until I'm done procrastinating over my code before I start uploading!

Last edited by cprobertson1; 10-03-2019 at 12:51 AM.
10-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Paying for flickr seems like a good value to me. Like some others have mentioned, I don't like being branded a Pro. So I used a photo of a Kodak Disc camera logo as my Pro icon. I have some people "following" me that are probably disappointed in my output, which is all over the place. Oh well.
10-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
That is a good shout about facebook - I definitely couldn't use it for any "serious" work: the best usage case I can make for what a business would refer to as "outreach". I think I may use it as a way of drawing folk towards the "real" portfolio.

Google photos is an interesting call actually - I was looking into that yesterday. It seems they have a limit of 16mp on their "free" storage (otherwise it takes up your storage space... of 15GB, but that includes your gmail and googleDrive as well) - I'm not sure how that would work with my uncropped photos being 16.3mp - but even then, it'd be great for sharing images even with those limitations!

It will also handle my cropped images no bother (as long as I trim at least 300'000 pixels off!) - so that'd be a good backup solution for a lot of things too.

I've actually had a website (both hosted from my house and using 3rd party hosting) in the past - so I have a touch of experience in setting them up (though my web design skills may leave a lot to be desired... at the time I was using it for business, so it had to be sleek and minimalist - but in doing so, it was kinda boring and to-the-point.)

My plan was to "upgrade" to a personal website if my photos start garnering any real interest. I'd get it hosted though - I'm not hosting it myself again - too much hassle dealing with the constant stream of updating modules and security patches and firewalling that comes with dealing with an internet-facing computer - might as well pay a company to do it as part of their standard upkeep!

That's certainly an option - but at the same time, it's a hassle I don't really need at this stage. On the other hand, if my photos start garnering interest then it's definitely going to be on the to-do list!

I think I'll use Flickr as my main portfolio, link to it via facebook, and I'll maybe also maintain a portfolio on 500px of my best work (just using the 7-uploads/7-days free account).

I'll code up some scripts to automate all that so I can upload quickly to multiple locations too. What I'd really like to do is set it up such that I have a folder on my desktop - so I just go through my workflow and drop the files into the folders and it automatically categorises them and fires them online. It shouldn't be too hard to do as long as I tag them correctly in the exif data. Python to the rescue! If I'm doing that, then shoving it on other free sites too shouldn't really be problematic - though if I'm doing that I should really put a little more work into it, and maybe code a GUI so I can select which sites to upload it to.

--EDIT--
I'll automate the upload process later - for now I'll do it ye aulde fashioned way! Im not going to wait until I'm done procrastinating over my code before I start uploading!
@ cprobertson1 : regarding google images, actually i'm not a technical person, so perhaps my info may not be 100% accurate, but I shoot with both the K1 and also the Sony A7RII, both are at 36 and 42 megapixel cameras. I shoot raw, and edit them into jpeg, and then save em onto google. I dont have to crop the images in any way, nor do i have to scale them down. the only time i ever do have issues with it is if i'm adding images that are compiled of 20+ images to make a large panorama.

and I've created albums where each album has anywhere between 100 to 700 images, all high res, and I haven't had any issues with limited space on it...at least not yet.
I do have a gmail account (i think you need it), and also use google docs, also have a pixel phone. Been using google photos to deliver wedding photos to clients as well, and they can access them right away.
may not be the most professional option, but if it works, then it works
i'll post a link to one of my albums, just so you can see what it can do (once i'm home, work wont let me)
10-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

when given the option to choose the " pro " option or the free option

I chose the pose and figured the price for that status would go up after one year

just got notice from flickr.com that I will be charged for next year soon

the price, as far as I can remember, has not changed

10-03-2019, 03:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Here you go. Just to give you a rough idea of what the pics look like

raps - Google Photos

Hope this helps

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote

--EDIT--
10-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Paying for flickr seems like a good value to me. Like some others have mentioned, I don't like being branded a Pro. So I used a photo of a Kodak Disc camera logo as my Pro icon. I have some people "following" me that are probably disappointed in my output, which is all over the place. Oh well.
The people following me have been getting a steady diet of Deep Dreams...

Not even full size dreams, just low res 0.3 MP

I've uploaded over 1000 in the last few months
10-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
when given the option to choose the " pro " option or the free option

I chose the pose and figured the price for that status would go up after one year

just got notice from flickr.com that I will be charged for next year soon

the price, as far as I can remember, has not changed

You weren't grandfathered in to the old price of $25/year like a lot of us were. But I can't complain at $50.
10-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You weren't grandfathered in to the old price of $25/year like a lot of us were. But I can't complain at $50.
last year, I don't think it was $25
10-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
last year, I don't think it was $25
No. For many years it was $25. Then Yahoo changed the site and gave everyone 1 TB and got rid of Pro accounts. Then they brought Pro accounts back and if you were a Pro before you were grandfathered in at $25. SmugMug continued that for 1 year but this year it went to $50 for me and everyone else who was granfathered...