Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have been into nature and the outdoors as well as photography since I was young, but the digital SLR opened up the possibility of getting better images of birds and wildlife with more portable equipment.
I still enjoy bird photography and try to vary the kinds of wildlife images I take. I also like to capture the character of the places that nature photography takes me to.
I picked up a Ricoh GR-III camera in April. It has widened my scope and made me more spontaneous, carrying a camera during everyday activities around the City as well as in the country, and keeping an eye out for opportunities. Even when I'm carrying my DSLR gear, I'll take a quick shot with the Ricoh rather than going to the bother of setting up and changing lenses with my K-3. The GR-III also encourages me to look for a bit of ambiguity in the scenes I photograph, and the availability of B&W options has pushed me further in that direction. I feel I can be a bit more adventurous in B&W than I can in colour. I admire people who can take more abstract images and make them work and I may head a little more in that direction.

10-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I got seriously rather than causually interested in photography (about 30 years ago) it was mostly wildlife - then I reached that place where I couldn't afford the lenses that would take me any further at the same time that I as moving towards medium format landscapes - then I slowly started moving towards pictures where I felt I was doing more than just photographing a beautiful scene, I was selecting or creating something to set my mark on the scene, make it my interpretation. Like most of us, I suppose, I still do a lot of casual photography of things that catch my eye or I just want to record for one reason or another, but my serious photography is definitely about trying to add that extra element that makes a photograph very difficult to replicate.
10-15-2019, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Having started with film, and then gone to compact digital for a while, I have to admit that the first big evolution was accepting adjustable ISO . I swear that my first 500 frames with my K-x were all ISO 200! My second change was accepting RAW. I was of the belief that any post processing was cheating, and if you couldn't get a jpg right straight from the camera, you should try harder. My wife bought me a days coaching with a local pro, who sympathized with my conservatism, and then explained that a) a sensor just didn't work like slide film, and b) that the camera cheated anyway with jpgs! So now I shoot mostly RAW, and correct the sensors shortcomings with Lightroom.
The next big thing is patience... which I'm hoping will come soon
10-15-2019, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robin Quote
The next big thing is patience... which I'm hoping will come soon
Coming from film I would think that would have come naturally. I had a hard time adjusting to the concept of taking marginal shots in the hopes that they would work out (some have wonderfully lots haven't) or could be fixed if there was a technical issue. In film that would have just resulted in a lot of wasted film with digital it results in having to delete some crap pictures that just didn't work.

10-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where to begin? I have slept a lot since then.. I had a few 120 film boxes as a child and eventually bought a pentax MEsuper when I went to college for a BFA in photography..
The MEsuper began skipping and partialy overlaping images so I replaced it with the old reliable K1000..
I moved on to medium and large format as I progressed through school and finished my senior project with images I shot before college printed on archival drawing paper using hand mixed and applied emulsion..
Sadly, time, work, no darkroom, family slowly eroded my photography to snaps with a cell phone to document the moment..

My creative side has manifested in pottery (and taking pictures for selling on web), kite making (and cobbling together KAP rigs to take aerial shots with little cannon power shots and altered firmware)

Would love to shoot 4x5 on film and scan or shoot the negs to digital, I miss the manipulation of the focal plane.

Pentax KP (with a sigma 17-70 lens, spare batt, PD leash and any free goody I could find) is in a big brown truck on it's way here as I type. I have dug out and dusted off the m43 super takumar and kaligar lenses and Kmount tokina and pentax lenses (even found a 300mm pinhole experiment on m43 extensions?! Maybe I will try that first on the KP?

10-16-2019, 03:38 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Coming from film I would think that would have come naturally. I had a hard time adjusting to the concept of taking marginal shots in the hopes that they would work out (some have wonderfully lots haven't) or could be fixed if there was a technical issue. In film that would have just resulted in a lot of wasted film with digital it results in having to delete some crap pictures that just didn't work.

Patience is a slippery individual... unlimited images and digital controls makes it all to easy to click first and think later. My best trick is to take a quick shot in the morning, having left everything on manual from astrophotography the night before

10-16-2019, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
That owl looks absolutely plastered!
These were stoned...

10-18-2019, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
These were stoned...

I want some of what they're having.
10-19-2019, 05:42 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm organizing an expedition to northern South America in order to find the elusive Potoo and their even more elusive dealer.

A bird that can contemplate its existence with such expression must be having some good stuff.
11-01-2019, 10:51 PM - 4 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

Whatever we say, that's the way

11-04-2019, 02:08 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Honestly, my photography hasn't really evolved in any meaningful way or improved significantly since about 1990. That's when I hit the plateau of how good I was ever going to be with my very limited talent, and I've never got any better because I never really had the potential to get any better than that in the first place.

And that's fine. I'm completely happy to accept my limitations and enjoy snapping away as the cheerfully inept amateur that I am.
Same here. I enjoy shooting and processing and sharing photos, but I don't feel I'm very good most of the time. And I'm okay with that.
11-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #42

Started off with the intent of taking nice, pretty pictures. I had this thing for "as-shot" everything, taking my time to tweak things to get it just right.

I find I'm taking slightly better pictures, with better composition, with the intent of doing some PP to get things to where I want them. So much faster, lol.
11-27-2019, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started picture taking to record the moment for the future. Here are a couple of my first, with a Kodak view finder camera. My Father in 1961, my sister 1962
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And one taken this year with the same camera. How can I say I have improved, because other than being more aware of backgrounds and shadows, I don't think I have.

[IMG][/IMG]
11-28-2019, 04:06 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I started photography mainly to take photos of my kids and I can say that they have evolved (the kids, not the photos) or at least they have grown considerably. My photos are more in focus now than they used to be.

Somewhere along the way I started taking landscape photos too. Those were just of scenes close to where I lived and honestly, it was more about getting out of the house early and experiencing some peace and quiet before my day would start. I went through an HDR phase (mostly over that) and try to do a bit more natural processing these days. I'm not sure if my landscapes are better than they were, but I enjoy shooting them as much, so that's probably the important thing.
11-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I've kind of come full circle in my photography. I started out simply trying to make photos that I liked...had some success...got derailed trying to make photos that others would like...and am now trying to come back to making photos that please me without thought as to whether anyone else might like them. That's the short version of things. Along the way, I took a job in television which allowed me to shoot products, people, architecture, events, sports, wildlife...all sorts of things. But the majority of that was done while needing to please a variety of folks...clients, bosses, viewers, and me. So I have a commercial side and a personal side to things...and I'm not always successful in separating the two.