Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2019, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

your photography evolution?

we have a tread about how you started photography. What about the journey you took from start to here. what was that evolution like?

not throwing shade at anyone when i saw the following statement, but just an observation. When i started photography some 10ish years ago, i was heavily inspired by a lot of the great photographers on this forum that were posting pics of birds and squirrels and what not. I look at those same photographers, and it seems like they are still doing the same thing. Their subject to shoot is still the same and hasn't evolved much since way back when.

When i started, it was initially for landscapes, which eventually translated into nightscape, which some how translated into portraits, then to weddings, and now i'm back to doing portraits, but a greater focus on environmental portraits (stitching the landscape and portraits into one), which seems to be my happy medium. I do want to evolve into fantasy/dreamy portraits, but not entirely sure how to get there yet.

what is your evolution like? and where do you want to progress into?

10-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
interesting

my "evolution " is less subject matter related but rather willingness to " explore "

I was using the " green stripe " automatic mode for most of my photography until 2016

I wanted to make sure I got a good photo

then I decided to start experiment - with settings, subject matter and lenses

realizing that could mean I would miss some opportunity

the journey continues
10-03-2019, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Honestly, my photography hasn't really evolved in any meaningful way or improved significantly since about 1990. That's when I hit the plateau of how good I was ever going to be with my very limited talent, and I've never got any better because I never really had the potential to get any better than that in the first place.

And that's fine. I'm completely happy to accept my limitations and enjoy snapping away as the cheerfully inept amateur that I am.
10-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

My photography hasn't really evolved much either. I still like landscapes and nature and astro and aviation. I still suck at photography. But I suck less than I did 2 years ago. And in another 2 years, I'll suck less than I do now.

10-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mmm, I started one year ago so I haven't had a long time to evolve.

I got into it because of my girlfriend and some friends; I wanted to be able to take the pictures they did while travelling and the phone was clearly not cutting it.

So despite three people having Canon, Nikon and Sony, I went for Pentax.

The main evolution in terms of subjects has been the interest in architecture and city shots, plus a more refined approach to landscapes. On top of that, I've become much pickier with the quality of the family photos for sure

For the future, who knows? I've felt like trying more serious night photography and astro for a while, and I've been going through a number of old lenses to see what lengths and speeds I feel comfortable with. So I guess I'll just keep trying.
10-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My photographic "evolution" began with hand-me down C126 Instamatics and (really, really lousy) pics of my family and friends.

I got a chance to play with my parents' Minolta X-370 in high school and simultaneously discovered landscape photography and night photography. And monochrome! (32 ASA Panatomic-X - oh yeah).

My first year of college, I smacked down my own money for a Minolta X-700 a couple of lenses, a tripod, and a strobe unit. That's where the real fun began.

I had a major setback in 1998 caused by listening to the wrong kinds of criticism of my photography and general feelings of complete photographic failure. I completely stopped taking pics until I bought my first digital camera (an Olympus C-5000) in late 2003.

I was re-awakened with digital! From there, I began experimenting with all kinds of stuff from portraits to still life to macro. What really made it all work for me was the advent of digital editing and desktop publishing. I found so much joy in that from a creative perspective that negative criticism just didn't matter anymore.

Today, I am a photographic "generalist" with interest in too many subjects. I still love landscapes and night photography.

Am I any good after all of this "evolution"? Depends on who's offering the critique, I guess. I'm happy that some of my images grace the pages of books made by both myself and others and that my work has been featured in a couple of international publications and in promo materials.

I feel that I am still evolving with every image I make that I don't like. Photography is a journey to me, not a destination.
10-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #7

A friend ask me if i can take some pictures while he make an Interview. So i rent the camera from another friend.
I take my first pictures, from the great singer Karel Gott from polska. He is going for ever, yesterday.
10-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I started with snapshots and have returned to snapshots. Even started doing digital black and white, which I would never do before because bw is a cop out when colour is available. Between 1998 and 2012 there was a lot of tripod and many many buildings and spaces. I'm trying to travel less so my photography has more kids and less buildings in them now.

10-03-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Honestly, my photography hasn't really evolved in any meaningful way or improved significantly since about 1990. That's when I hit the plateau of how good I was ever going to be with my very limited talent, and I've never got any better because I never really had the potential to get any better than that in the first place.
I've never liked this idea that everyone has an intrinsic limit on the skill they have in a particular category. While it can be more difficult to move forward compared to some others I think we can always learn more and continue improving. A lot of times for smaller things we didn't even realize we improved so we feel like we've done nothing.

Just a little anecdotal evidence: I play a competitive online game and actually help coach people for fun. It doesn't matter how long they've been playing the game, if someone is willing to improve I have been able to help them improve to hit higher ranks on the leader boards. I think this applies to everything.
10-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My evolution started with landscapes that I sold at fairs and invited exhibition. Ran a few workshops. Did this for three years. Then the enevitable (probably) outcome that though sales were reasonable, profit wasn't and the enjoyment from being in the landscape had waned. Bet this happens often enough.
Switched to commercial work (part-time) - real estate, interiors, portrait. Now as we move in autumn (fall) in the northern hemisphere, I'm eager again to snap away in the landscape for pleasure.

I was talking to another photographer recently who'd gone through a similar path only much like longer, but gave up with the landscape work because the standard of landscape imagery globaly seen and available by his customers were so good that he felt he couldn't compete. Not hard to dispute this. He didn't want to photograph anything other than landscapes. He's all but have been up photography as a hobby to.

It's probably true what they say about earning success from landscape photography being unlikely. It is, however, great fun having a go and it brings purpose to being a landscape photographer - I loved that side of it, but burn out and falling out of love with the subject is a risk - fortunately I got out in time 🙂
10-03-2019, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #11

The evolution of image making, Humm, cave painting, stone carving, papyrus scrolls, painted canvas, silver halide crystal emulsion paper, electronic dots with light emitting diodes. I don't think it's evolved at all, Still trying to replicate what is seen in the real world.
10-03-2019, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #12
Unregistered User

I thought it best to reflect on a sample of the pictures taken. (All dates are approximate.) I think I've been getting better... always room for improvement. Can't even remember all the cameras I've had. One thing I'd observed from my review: I have a lot less interest in humans than I used to.

1965: First roll of color film - Kodak 100 Instamatic w/Kodachrome (35mm cartridge snapshot camera w/fixed lens). Taken from the parking lot of George Washington High School, Alexandria, VA (one of the three schools merged into T.C. Williams when the City of Alexandria desegregated its school system in 1971 - "Remember the Titans").

1969: high school buddy - "If you can remember the '60's, you weren't there."

1970's - as a "work-study student" assigned to the "audio-visual department", I managed the photo lab and darkroom - first introduced to Pentax 35mm film cameras "Gorgeous George" Gargas, the resident university photographer. I'll never forget the day they had to close the place down because I'd mixed the chemicals in the wrong order, releasing poison gas in large quantities.

1982: a kid on his "roada-gate". That kid now has gray hair and three kids of his own (Canon AE-1, 50mm f/1.4).

2002: roller coaster at Hershey Park, PA. First use of a "real" digital camera, Sony DSC-F828.

More recently, as may be seen elsewhere on this website, but also:

Last edited by Unregistered User; 10-03-2019 at 12:17 PM.
10-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I started out with film in the 1990s, Back them most of my photos were pretty bad looking back.
I've always had an interest in landscapes and natural history, with landscapes being more accessible without having to spend too much on gear, and eventually I started to get reasonable at doing them.
Since I've moved to digital, I've been prepared to experiment a bit more, and since becoming a dad, I've given portraits a go.
I still think landscapes come the most easily, as landscapes don't talk back to you or move, so you've just got to be there when the light is right, but I enjoy creating a good portrait, and I've acquired some off camera flash gear so I can experiment with lighting.
I still work on a tight budget compared to some people, but from being limited to just 35-70 back in my early film days, I now have lenses that cover focal lengths from 10mm all the way up to 500mm, which gives me the potential to explore a lot of different ways of making images.
I'm not a heavy Photoshopper, although I do know how to use it to some extent. I prefer to make images that are believable, rather than clearly manipulated, however don't mind doing stuff in Photoshop if I can keep a sense of reality about it.
I've gone from shooting JPG to almost exclusively using RAW, and using Lightroom to make adjustments.
10-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I started with photos of common feeder birds at bird feeders and evolved to photos of birds that don't visit feeders in the field...waterfalls, landscapes, a few times a year. I used to shoot a lot of flowers, not so much anymore. I've never really cared at all about portraits or studio photography.
10-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I fell in love with photography when I was about 10. I was using my parents Minolta with a 70-210 f/4 on it and thought it was incredible. I really liked trying to "hunt" for good shots of hummingbirds up north and managed to get a few shots that I liked (probably terrible looking back) but it gave me that bug of wanting to improve, and hey, I was shooting film so I didn't know any better.

Fast forward 10 years and I buy a K-50 for travel, and although that childhood love isn't the same, I love trying to improve and work on my own skills.

I'd say in terms of "evolution" of what I shoot, I still love all things nature and wildlife and it doesn't bore me because I like the challenge - so I guess I don't change that much.