Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Remote flash

My wife is black. No, not African-American, as she has never set foot on any part of any American continent. Unless, of course, you want to go back to pre-historic times when the African and American continents were one. But my wife was not around then, so, it doesn't count. Anyway, she is just African.

So, more often than not, she comes out underexposed in casual snapshots. Yes, I could simply use exposure compensation, but then the rest of the scene is overexposed. Ideally, I'd use a reflector to get some light onto her face, but who carries those around when you're just walking around, for example? So I often use the built-in flash on my K-3 as a fill-in (you see, it has a useful function!). This works reasonably well much of the time, given the casual nature of the shoots. However, the range of the flash is not always sufficient. I could use my AF540, but it is too bulky to keep on the camera all the time. To use the AF540 off camera in wireless mode, I suspect the optical remote triggering would fail much of the time if used outdoors in daylight.

So I was thinking that perhaps I can get myself a small but adequately powerful flash unit that I could keep on the body full time. But better still, perhaps I can get a remote trigger that I could use with the AF540, or even with the smaller unit, should I acquire one. For whatever reason, as if by magic, amazon decided to recommend several items that are quite reasonably priced. e.g.

Neewer Set Disparador 16 Canal Inalámbrico Flash Speedlite Radio,Incluye (1) Transmisor (2) Receptores, Compatible con Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Panasonic Cámaras DSLR(CT-16): Amazon.es: Electrónica Neewer CT-16
Andoer PT-04GY Disparador de Flash Universal Control Remoto de radio inalámbrico 1 transmisor y 2 Receptores para Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus(16 canales): Amazon.es: Electrónica Andoer PT-04GY
Godox FT-16 Controlador de alimentación inalámbrica Disparador Remoto de flash para Speedlite Flash de Godox Witstro AD180 AD360 cámara de Canon Nikon Pentax,etc: Amazon.es: Electrónica Godox FT-16

I have about zero familiarity with the type of equipment I reference above, so I don't even know if those things are suitable for the intended purpose. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

10-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't address the remote flashes but if you want a compact on-camera flash, give a look at the Pentax AF201. It doesn't have any fancy features other than a vertical swivel and two manual modes plus the auto, but it is very compact and might work well for a fill-flash. Reviews are posted of the AF201 in this forum.
10-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would be interested to know more about this too. A friend of mine wants me to take some photos of himself and his wife together. He is Caucasian and she is a very dark African. I wish I knew some wedding photographers because they must have the same problem with white wedding dresses and guys wearing a black tux.
10-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
bxf
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I can't address the remote flashes but if you want a compact on-camera flash, give a look at the Pentax AF201. It doesn't have any fancy features other than a vertical swivel and two manual modes plus the auto, but it is very compact and might work well for a fill-flash. Reviews are posted of the AF201 in this forum.
Nice, but somewhat expensive for a little thing like that...

---------- Post added 05-10-19 at 01:12 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I would be interested to know more about this too. A friend of mine wants me to take some photos of himself and his wife together. He is Caucasian and she is a very dark African. I wish I knew some wedding photographers because they must have the same problem with white wedding dresses and guys wearing a black tux.
That would be a little bit different, because you want a black tux to come out, well, black. Plus, on a pro stint they can use reflectors where necessary.