Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now I finally have my "dream" k-1 and 3 FA limiteds, my has diminished greatly.
The only residual gas is around an ultra wide. I do have a Sigma EX 20mm f1.8 but its soft in one corner, relatively heavy and relatively big (and so not always in my bag).

10-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
oops pardon me, was that my GAS?
10-05-2019, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While the progress in the realm of editing software over the last decade has been nothing short of amazing, and I have been particularly impressed with what DxO has been doing, I haven't yet seen anything that would convince me that the new flood "AI-featuring" software is quite the game-changer it is hyped to be. (Maybe just my ignorance, who knows.)

However, there's something I do know: My GAS is certainly not cured. I still drool over lenses and camera bodies I can't afford. Yet, I have cultivated some mechanisms that help me keep GAS in check: accepting objective budget constraints, commitment to my marriage, shooting happily what I have, enjoying my images, ...
10-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I had been thinking of acquiring the DA*11-18, but I think I'm going to put the money into my Jeep instead. My Sigma 8-16 can limp along for awhile.

I need to sell a few; my FA31, and the WR55-300 both need to find new homes, along with a few others. My 31 is a fine copy, but I find I'd rather have a silver one to match my 43 and 77.

10-05-2019, 03:06 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My GAS is in remission. I have my KP, my K3, all the zooms I need and all the limited and vintage primes. There are things I would like, a 55-300plm, a limited 20-40, a limited 15, an fa50mm f1.4 but I am not craving at the no. Give it a month or two
10-05-2019, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two specific kits based around a KP and a K30 which are more than enough for my needs. I feel like my GAS is under control as I'm actively trying to avoid buying stuff (not just photography related) that I won't use. But.......my only irrational lust object lenswise is the 20-40 Ltd even though I have 3 DA Ltds and the 31 Ltd that cover that focal range more than adequately and the 20-40 wouldn't add anything to my kit that my existing gear can't do already.

But, it's such a cool-looking lens that I still want one.
10-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Having little mad money to spend, GAS is keeping quite quiet. That said, I would truly like an Acratech tripod head...

Steve

10-05-2019, 04:57 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
my full-frame A-mount kit
Don't you feel a pressing urge to get away from a ded system?!
10-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PLM PLM PLM then the new APS APS APS-C...
I am fine
10-05-2019, 05:12 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
While the progress in the realm of editing software over the last decade has been nothing short of amazing, and I have been particularly impressed with what DxO has been doing, I haven't yet seen anything that would convince me that the new flood "AI-featuring" software is quite the game-changer it is hyped to be. (Maybe just my ignorance, who knows.)

However, there's something I do know: My GAS is certainly not cured. I still drool over lenses and camera bodies I can't afford. Yet, I have cultivated some mechanisms that help me keep GAS in check: accepting objective budget constraints, commitment to my marriage, shooting happily what I have, enjoying my images, ...
What has sometimes helped cure mine when I'm jonesing over some lens or camera is renting it. Spend a week trying it out and if you still just have to have to have it then it's not GAS IMO.

That's one reason I no longer l have a massive desire for a K1 II or a Pentax 140-450, or a Sigma 35 ART. Got em', tried 'em, sent them back, done.

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-05-2019 at 05:25 PM.
10-05-2019, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Having little mad money to spend, GAS is keeping quite quiet. That said, I would truly like an Acratech tripod head...

Steve
I had been using various FLM and Gitzo ball heads. I don't like either. FLM knobs fail too easily, and Gitzo heads don't lock down tight enough.

A few weeks ago I purchased two Acratech ball heads (GP, GV2). They're a big improvement over FLM and Gitzo heads. My Acratech heads are: lightweight, easy to maintain, and they lock up really tight.
10-05-2019, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #27
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My GAS was going very strong while I was working in IT and had a good income; but now that I'm retired and living on a fixed pension, it is quiescent. I've decided to stick with APS-C as a format since I have the bodies and all the lenses I want. I do have the three amigos, but they fit a need I have on APS-C (fast lenses for available light work). Last month I tried to sell my DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135; but then I realized they could do things my other lenses couldn't and withdrew them from the Marketplace. I'm beginning to try my hand at stock photography, and high quality APS-C photos can work there. The new APS-C camera will definitely interest me, because it would fit with the gear I now have and enable me to shoot higher quality stock photos.

On the other hand, if I win the lottery . . .
10-05-2019, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I mentioned on another thread, that because of my newly purchased Topaz Gigapixel AI software, I no longer feel the need to upgrade my 16MP APS-C Pentax K5IIs body to a newer APS-C body with 24/26MP.

I'm currently very happy with my K5IIs and 36MP Pentax K-1 cameras.
with the 2 very good bodies like that, I would be satisfied with my gears too.

... and image editing software incorporating AI (artificial inteligence), I'm finding little need to upgrade my camera bodies any more.
Yes, post process make so much difference for me too. I recently go back to see my old photo, it was terrible. I am still using the same Adobe tools but gain a lot of post processing skill over the year and still learning. Anyway, I have better control than before and I couldn't stand seeing my old edited photos. Terrible!

How's your GAS these days??
for me, I still want new gears, I want a full frame body (just not the K1. it is a bit too heavy for me.) because I am looking for a better low light and dynamic range performance. I am on K3 which is doing a very good job but I try to do more of handheld night photography now. And lenses too, I still want wide angle wr prime from Pentax. They are not doing it now, so maybe it is a good thing for me? I don't have to spend money now
10-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #29

I suffer from no GAS. I don't suffer from any income either, though.
10-05-2019, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For me, it's more of a A.D.D. issue on what gear I want to bid on/buy. Missed out on some gear I was interested on mainly due to my brain going "OHHH I WANT THAT!! NO THAT! NO THAT!! AHHHHH", & couldnt decide on what one to bid on/buy & missed out in them cuz someone ended up straight out buying them