Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I have been seeing INCREDIBLY low prices on lots of photography gear on Ebay these days. Even gear that's fairly priced is not selling as well as it used to. Sellers are becoming desperate as evidenced by a much MUCH higher than normal percentage of my "low ball offers" being accepted. Either the economy is worse then we're told, serious photographers are switching to ever improving smartphone cameras, or people (like me) have lost their GAS realizing that their current gear is "good enough".

These are great times to score amazing bargains on good used photo gear.
Geez, with comments like that people will be getting GASsed up before you know it.

10-05-2019, 08:58 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope. I’ll always have GAS.
10-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
still lacking at the tele-lens end
10-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The evils of eBay and ridiculous low prices force me to continue unabated with GAS, I knew I was in strife when a Pentax movie projector came up for sale and I just had to have it, fortunately someone else had to have it more. Glad to see software is filling your place of desire, maybe one day I will find peace......nah , not likely

10-05-2019, 11:18 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
With Gigapixel AI I can easily enlarge files from either body to as large as I need to make 360dpi 24"x36" prints on my large format Epson printer.
At $99 for Topaz Gigapixel AI, that's a pretty substantial saving over buying a medium format system for getting the same resolution. How about buying a larger printer to take advantage of Topaz Gigapixel AI ?

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-06-2019 at 12:28 AM.
10-06-2019, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #36
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
Don't you feel a pressing urge to get away from a ded system?!
It's only "dead" in the sense that no new A-mount gear is being developed. The upside to that is, I'm not concerned about what is or might be coming next. I'm content with my Hasselblad HV in terms of functionality, performance and image quality - it was superb when released, and hasn't become any less capable with age Any limitations I encounter are to be worked around, not solved by buying a new camera.

I've benefitted from some unbelievable new and used lens bargains too, building up a really nice arsenal covering 17mm to 600mm for relatively little money compared to current systems. And with the Sony LA-EA4 SLT adapter, they're all equally useable on E-mount cameras, so they're "future proofed".

Do I feel a pressing urge to get away from a dead system? Yeah, sure... it's killing me

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-06-2019 at 01:04 AM.
10-06-2019, 01:07 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I *think* I have it under control by virtue of knowing what I need... I got the K-1 and with it a 20€ Tokina AF 35-70 that works for walkaround purposes (with the clear intent of getting the 28-105 WR either under 300€ or after saving up for a while*). I have a Pentax-M 50/1.7, Tamron 90/2.5 for longer portraits, a Pentax-M 135/3.5 for tele-ish duty and a Tokina 80-200/4 manual lens that will go on the way out as soon as I decide on the substitute (taking suggestions here).

The only things I need are a wide angle (I'm eyeing a 24mm Cosina that will most likely do the job), substituting the Tokinas and then I'm set.

I envy my girlfriend, she's more than content with her 28-135 and 70-200/4, rarely using the 50/1.8 and never lusting for gear

*I assume the 28-105 will be more or less the best light and WR option for the K-1

10-06-2019, 01:19 AM   #38
Pentaxian

My GAS is very much alive and well and showing no signs of abating.
10-06-2019, 01:55 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My last sell fest was caused by gas. Great deal on a kp, stuck it on the credit card, panicked, started selling on eBay. The bill is now paid. It must be time for a new lens
10-06-2019, 03:15 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Ooh, I suffer from lots of GAS. There are still plenty lenses out there that seem interesting, and that's just the photography hobby. I have something similar for woodworking and blacksmithing. Thankfully, my wife is a good inhibiting factor.

Greetings from woodworking fellow
There was a time I used to collect hand planes Now it's over; I had sold some of them (still have more than I need) and bought some lenses instead

Last edited by Chris_K; 10-06-2019 at 03:16 AM. Reason: additional info
10-06-2019, 04:03 AM   #41
Pentaxian

No but I am trying to only buy lenses that are on my wish list, not ones that are good deals and nice to try. Better to buy one really nice lens than three mediocre ones... Of course sometimes I fail.
10-06-2019, 04:08 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I only do vintage and my GAS has pretty much gone. I have every camera I set out to acquire, classic lens prices have gone mad so I have pretty much given up on some lenses I wanted but what I have is sufficient. Its now just a case of getting some of the cameras professionally CLAd.

The last acquisition was bought to get the lens off an iffy Minolta XD7 but as things turned out te XD7 was pretty much fine but she will need some TLC. Once she is done thats it for me.

I now have all the classics I want so thats that other half is happy now as well so thats a bonus
10-06-2019, 04:28 AM   #43

With my financial situation being the way it is, I no longer feel any impulse to jump on a great deal, as at this point I've pretty much got the whole useful focal range covered, with a variety of modern or vintage, WR or not-WR, fast or slow, light or slightly less light, cheap or expensive, telephoto/normal/wide lenses for any situation on either my KP or Super Program (neither of which don't fulfill my needs). I did spend a whole week contemplating how I plan to upgrade my 35mm f/2.4, as depending on whether I chose the 31mm, 35mm f/2, or 35mm /f2.8 would change the balance of my existing lenses. I eventually settled on the plan that I'll eventually get the 31mm and 40mm (likely simultaneously) to replace the 35mm in common usage, and the 70mm to fill in a small gap, and perhaps the Rokinon fisheye to play around with, but since this is an expensive proposition the pressure of GAS is actually alleviated because I know it simply won't be in my budget for many years.
Until then, my current setup is good enough, and I can just focus on taking pictures instead of hunting for bargains I don't actually need. That being said, if my opportunity to start making money shooting events on the side works out, then maybe I can work out the finances for the 70mm or 31mm.
10-06-2019, 05:47 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My GAS is in remission at the moment but that could change with a new aps-c model with (dare I speak the words) better video
10-06-2019, 05:55 AM   #45
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

LAS [ Lens Addiction Syndrome ] and GAS are kissing cousins

and I have eperienced both