Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2019, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" (GAS) has gone away. Is yours gone too?

I mentioned on another thread, that because of my newly purchased Topaz Gigapixel AI software, I no longer feel the need to upgrade my 16MP APS-C Pentax K5IIs body to a newer APS-C body with 24/26MP.

I'm currently very happy with my K5IIs and 36MP Pentax K-1 cameras. With Gigapixel AI I can easily enlarge files from either body to as large as I need to make 360dpi 24"x36" prints on my large format Epson printer.

With new body improvements being mostly incremental these days, and image editing software incorporating AI (artificial inteligence), I'm finding little need to upgrade my camera bodies any more.

The only things that might re-kindle my GAS would be either a "global shutter", a "curved sensor", or pixel shift that truly worked on moving subjects. Until then, my GAS is under control and I'm a happy photographer who's spending more time shooting photos and less time reading gear reviews.

How's your GAS these days??

10-05-2019, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While I'm not as enthused about Gigapixel as you seem to be, yeah I' pretty much over GAS. There's really not anything I can think of that would make my photography better other than more practice.

Cameras? Very good. Glass? Excellent. Lighting gear? Far more than adequate. Straps, cleaners, peripheral gear? A lot more than I need. Technique: Still needs work but that's the cheap and fun part.
10-05-2019, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Is anyone ever really over GAS? I think it goes dormant but once a GAS addict, always a GAS addict. My GAS has been largely dormant
in the realm of photography for a couple years. I simply do not need more manual bodies and 50mm lenses to add to the to clean/refurbish/resell
pile. I do, however, have two very specific wants, namely the DA20-40 and the upcoming K-New APS-C body. The DA20-40 is truly a want
and I will bag it, eventually. The APS-C body is also a want, but a desperately wanted want, as I've long lusted for the pixel-shift capabilities
and ISO performance introduced with the K3II and KP.

I have GAS, but I feel I'm in control, (ooo look!, there's a camera bag on that garage sale table....).
10-05-2019, 12:24 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep getting tempted by low prices. I was too cheap to buy an 18-135 or DA Limiteds, but then there was a Marketplace listing at a good price. Last week I bought the DA 35/2.8 Macro Limited for $185 shipped! The listing was up for three hours before I saw it. Now I have the 21, 35 and 70 (all SMC) for slightly more than what one might have cost new. When the K-New shows up, I know there will be Kp and K3II listings that might be too cheap to ignore.

10-05-2019, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought mine was under control but a few short months ago I bought a 20mm-40mm Ltd. despite having that FL range covered 6 ways from Sunday. And yesterday I ordered a Ricoh GR III because once in awhile I’m asked to shoot a situation that requires something less intrusive than a DSLR and I’ve decided, despite evidence to the contrary, that my K-01 and my Q7s aren’t discrete enough.

This morning I got out 5 or 6 lenses that overlap other lenses and my K-01 w/ 40mm XS with a notion of shooting pictures for selling them in the market place today but so far I’ve been to breakfast, a vintage aircraft and car show, lunch and taken a nap. I’m about to take my dog to the park after I post this.

As posted other places, I made a Chinese New Year’s Resolution not to buy any photo gear in 2019 without selling something else.
10-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Everyone will have G.A.S. one way or another, weither it be gear related or the bodily function kind lol
10-05-2019, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Buying few decentered samyang lenses cures G.A.S. very effectively. And now I sealed it to hidden box by sending my K-1 to full spectrum conversion after which it allows doing things no retail camera will.

10-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Ooh, I suffer from lots of GAS. There are still plenty lenses out there that seem interesting, and that's just the photography hobby. I have something similar for woodworking and blacksmithing. Thankfully, my wife is a good inhibiting factor.
10-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How's mine?
This will give you an example:
My "new" ZX-M and the funny story of how I got it - PentaxForums.com
10-05-2019, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
My "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" (GAS) has gone away. Is yours gone too?
Mostly, I'm done. My APS-C K-mount kit is easily capable and versatile enough for my needs, and the same goes for my full-frame A-mount kit. I have more than enough cameras, lenses, flashes and accessories... Too many, frankly; I could do with selling off some of my less-used items. I certainly don't yearn for any more gear, that's for sure.

Still, my GAS hasn't completely disappeared...

I'm a sucker for a real bargain, and I pick up the odd K-mount or A-mount lens here and there if I see an unbeatable opportunity. Then, there are a handful of rarities I'd like to add to my Soviet lens collection (if I can ever find them at the right prices, which is increasingly unlikely). I also have something of a penchant for acquiring cheap, older digital gear to play around with, too, but these are generally very inexpensive "pocket money" purchases.

I wouldn't completely discount the possibility of buying a new camera body a few years from now. If the forthcoming Pentax APS-C flagship turns out to be something special - and I think it may well be - then there's a fair chance I'll buy one at some point, but it won't be for two or three years minimum, and probably longer... most likely, when it's on close-out. We'll see.

Reviewing what I've just written, I'm not really Ricoh's ideal customer, am I? Still, I've given them my fair share of business over the years...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-05-2019 at 01:53 PM.
10-05-2019, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I mentioned on another thread, that because of my newly purchased Topaz Gigapixel AI software, I no longer feel the need to upgrade my 16MP APS-C Pentax K5IIs body to a newer APS-C body with 24/26MP.

I'm currently very happy with my K5IIs and 36MP Pentax K-1 cameras. With Gigapixel AI I can easily enlarge files from either body to as large as I need to make 360dpi 24"x36" prints on my large format Epson printer.

With new body improvements being mostly incremental these days, and image editing software incorporating AI (artificial inteligence), I'm finding little need to upgrade my camera bodies any more.

The only things that might re-kindle my GAS would be either a "global shutter", a "curved sensor", or pixel shift that truly worked on moving subjects. Until then, my GAS is under control and I'm a happy photographer who's spending more time shooting photos and less time reading gear reviews.

How's your GAS these days??
You’ve been dribbling really good lenses and gear into the Marketplace for a couple years now. Keep it up and GAS will eventually reassert itself
10-05-2019, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't really need anything else, but if Pentax releases a K-1 II sequel or a 20mm prime or a 85mm prime, I'll be all over them.
10-05-2019, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Must resist. Must...resist... must...
10-05-2019, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Thankfully, my wife is a good inhibiting factor.
It could be worse. My wife has far worse GAS than I do. Fortunately she has good taste and her GAS is more or less in line with mine.
Thus when she brings home something like a diamond wet saw or enameling kiln it is something I can and want to use. Of course, there
are exceptions but she has her shoe GAS under control at the moment.
10-05-2019, 01:52 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

I'm a sucker for a real bargain, .

I expect that most Pentaxians are too. I know that I am.

While my GAS has mostly gone away, I have not given up buying/cleaning-repairing/re-selling old gear "for a small profit" (not for GAS). On the typical day my mailman (yes he's a he) delivers and/or picks up multiple packages containing photo gear. For example, this coming Monday 4 lenses, one QR clamp, and one car window mount will be delivered; AND I'll have 3 or 4 packages going out from concluded Sunday night Ebay sales.

I have been seeing INCREDIBLY low prices on lots of photography gear on Ebay these days. Even gear that's fairly priced is not selling as well as it used to. Sellers are becoming desperate as evidenced by a much MUCH higher than normal percentage of my "low ball offers" being accepted. Either the economy is worse then we're told, serious photographers are switching to ever improving smartphone cameras, or people (like me) have lost their GAS realizing that their current gear is "good enough".

These are great times to score amazing bargains on good used photo gear.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-05-2019 at 02:14 PM.