Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 04:47 AM   #76
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Started with a Ricoh K-mount SLR camera that just had me at the 50mm f/1.7 lens.
Since then I've gone with Pentax dSLRs as they had me again at the 6Mp Sony CCD sensor..
I can't say I've not thought about switching systems over missing a few shots for lack of AF snappiness, especially with moving targets, but I haven't found any other system more ergonomically and fiscally more attractive than Pentax. Plus I really don't need a 300mm f/2.8.

10-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #77
Pentaxian

My first SLR was a Spotmatic back in 1969 (still works), but that's not the reason I choose Pentax when I bought my first DSLR. The reasons I chose Pentax and still refuse to sell off my Pentax gear, athough I've added Nikon to my bag, are ergonomics, configurability and to some extent in-house SR. Superior build quality was a reason with the first purchase, but (although i still recognize it) is no longer a main reason for keeping my Pentax gear.
The reason I added Nikon was to be able to buy the lenses I wanted. Canon has never been an option for me (least favorable ergonomics).
10-08-2019, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

I chose Pentax a while ago. It's expensive (in money to buy equipment, and time to become familiar with a new system) to change systems.

For example, the Nikon D800 was great when it came out. I could have sold all my Pentax gear at a loss and bought Nikon. Today, Sony might be best, so I'd be selling Nikon to buy into a new Sony system. Then, in a year or two, someone else will come out with something great and I'd have to change systems yet again.

It would take a truly amazing product to make me change systems. Most modern cameras are so good that there are only tiny gains to be had by changing systems.
10-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I first moved from bridge cameras I wanted a canon. I didn't really know which one, I just wanted, for once, to be main stream. However, when I looked into it I found the basic Canons were twice the price of the K30. I then watched Blunty's review on YouTube amongst others and was hooked. I loved my K30, I love my K3 even more and my KP is just a beautiful thing. I have limited and vintage primes and zooms, mostly wr, that cover from 10mm-300mm. None of this would have been possible with canon and yet, despite being delighted by results, I still wonder what might have been. I don't think I want another brand, maybe I just get tired of being on the periphery at camera gatherings "oh him, he uses some old Pentax! Anyway, what can I do about the perished rubber inside my 5D mk2?" This year they will get a shock! The Pentax wierdo will be entering compys with his KP and limited primes! Time to shake things up lol

10-09-2019, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What great offerings?
10-09-2019, 06:38 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume it's about the new RF lenses (let's be honest they look to be top level glass, if accordingly expensive), the A7Riv with its gajillion pixel count or the Nikon Z with its... wide mount.

Honestly, nothing that makes our Pentaxes (or previous Canikony, Fuji or Oly gear) obsolete.
10-09-2019, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
What great offerings?
I really like this response. When I look at Canon crop cameras, and hold them, they never seem all that nice vs. my K-5. Nikon's seem a little better but not great. I don't like much of the Sony glass as any of the nice lenses are also expensive and massive.

Fuji interests me the most but they don't have affordable good glass at the points I want. The glass situation with Pentax isn't perfect but it isn't miles away, at least on the crop side of the operation. Full-frame is another story but it seems to be slowly slowly slowly getting there.

10-09-2019, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
What great offerings?
I think the correct phrasing would be "with so many cheap offerings", as the high end models from other manufacturers are quite pricy.
10-09-2019, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I blame Mossy Rocks. One of the smartest people I know, so when he tells me he shoots Pentax I started reading about it. Sure enough, they rank highly compared to the competition. Also, AstroTracer! I had a Canon T7i and the Vixen Polarie equatorial, but sold them both and went with the K-1 instead. Pretty happy about that decision Canikon still has cheaper 3rd party lenses and way more options which is frustrating, though!
10-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #85
Pentaxian

What I really want to know is, with so many great offerings of vanilla and chocolate ice cream, why would anyone choose butter pecan ice cream?

Ok that is a rhetorical question. I love butter pecan ice cream.

So the question should be... with so many great affordable bodies and lenses from Pentax, why do you choose anything else?
10-09-2019, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So the question should be... with so many great affordable bodies and lenses from Pentax, why do you choose anything else?
Off the top of my head, I could name 3 features/aspects of each major camera brand that makes it stand above the others. The challenge is finding which feature set appeals most to you... and that could be very expensive.

For me, outside of the cost and hassle of switching brands, a standout feature of Pentax is that I can get good handling and a decent VF experience at a low cost. A more technologically advanced yet ergonomically regressive camera is of reduced value to me.
10-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #87

I'm afraid my choice was not down to loyalty to the brand, a cupboard full of old lenses or any great technical analysis - let's face it, most serious cameras are really pretty good - it was simply down to the fact that I shoot land and seascapes, spend quite some time in deserts and shoot astro - at the time Pentax offered, at a very good price, the best all round features to meet those conditions.
10-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #88
Veteran Member

My first dslr was a shiny new 100d. At the time it offered great value compared to other brands, in-body stabilization, decent viewfinder for an 'entry level' camera, some of the better kit-lenses, easy to adapt legacy lenses, etc.

As I've accumulated more Pentax stuff, it's largely been inertia and nothing else has looked awesome enough to be worth the effort of switching. I see a few things on other brands that I'd like to have, but I'd also miss things they don't have but Pentax does. I'm sure I could be happy with most other systems but I'm also happy with Pentax so here I stay.
10-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Value value value. My K20D was my first "real" DSLR (I had an Olympus E-420, but it was fairly limited in what it could do, and the K20D was built like a tank).
10-17-2019, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #90

During that time value for money of the K5ii won me over. The pro features and entry level price cant be seen elsewhere.