Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2019, 09:36 AM - 3 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There are at least three definitions of the "correct" exposure:

1) Exposure to exactly match the reflectances or brightnesses of the scene with the final image. This exposure ensures that anything that is 18% gray in scene is also 18% gray in the final photograph.

2) Exposure to capture all the highlights and shadow details that the human eye can see. This exposure ensures no highlights are clipped and no shadows are muddy but it may require HDR because the dynamic range of the scene might exceed the dynamic range of the camera or output media.

3) Exposure for creating a specific mood which often calls for intentionally over- or under-exposure settings compared to definitions 1 and 2. For example, over-exposing a summer beach scene might intensify the feeling of light and warmth. Or under-exposing a portrait might convey a sense of night-time intimacy or amplify the sadness of the subject. The high-key and low-key genres often intentionally expose in ways that destroy extraneous details which helps focus on the subject.

10-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #17

When I slowly came into digital (15-20 years ago) transitioning from film with rated ASA and a little flexibility, I noticed the breadth of the ISO range even then. As Auto ISO and functionally higher ISO ranges evolved, the "Auto" setting pushed to yield a mid-afternoon type image even if the time was dusk.This is why I rarely use "Auto" and if I do it is usually Auto ISO with a defined range. I know what I am trying to achieve. I usually underexpose to minimize blowouts, or crop to areas with usable exposure.

I use manual, aperture pref, shutter speed pref, or a combo with either a set ISO (100,200,400 etc) or a range of Auto ISO (100-800, 100-1200, etc) with 100-6500 usually the highest to adapt to quickly changing situations. For wildlife action shots where the value is in the shot not the perfection of the shot, later use of Noise Reduction and Sharpening can help recover some of what was dulled by high ISO, when shutter speed and DoF was a necessity.

There is a "correct" exposure for a studio with supplied lighting and colors, but outdoors requires planning for the light and effect desired. There are camps: Perfection at all costs; use all the Technical you can; modify the image to almost not being a photograph; and do the best you can at the time to get an image capturing some occurrence that may never be seen again. I have described myself as a commando photographer and I fit more into the last group. I use post processing to clean up, but not change the essence of the image.

JB
10-15-2019, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
...modify the image to almost not being a photograph...
JB
That exactly what I hated to see, nowadays a photo without PS is not a good photo, there is no 'correct' or not but like it or not. Long time ago I post a comment on a photo critique forum regarding a heavily PS-ed photo, I said it was art not photo, then I got heavy bombardment from 99% of the members said I don't know a thing that PS always an essential part in photography, I still don't accept today. PS is useful for fixing photo, or creating the mood, I will use POST only for 2 reason, one is to correct minor error such as focus and exposure to make the photo more readable, two is to create the mood I want which will completely change thing that very obvious the image is not straight out of the camera. Photography is a mix of technology (chemical and sensor) and art (retouching and PS), but it is heavily one-sided today. I always think that, we must be able to produce something reasonably presentable straight with the camera before we can call ourselves 'photographer', and there is big difference between taking a photo and making one.
10-15-2019, 01:23 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm also not a fan of the overly-saturated, obviously-HDR, clearly-too-yellow treatment that a lot of pictures get today. The "Instagram look" if you will. Or well, in general stuff that looks patently photoshopped... heavy handed editing takes me out of it completely. Let the subjects and composition do the talking, not the bombastic post processing.

I think some people think that squeezing all the DR possible out of an image is the way to go. I mean, sure, it's cool to see everything, but I don't think we should be afraid of shadows and lights. As @photoptimist very well said:

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
3) Exposure for creating a specific mood which often calls for intentionally over- or under-exposure settings compared to definitions 1 and 2. For example, over-exposing a summer beach scene might intensify the feeling of light and warmth. Or under-exposing a portrait might convey a sense of night-time intimacy or amplify the sadness of the subject. The high-key and low-key genres often intentionally expose in ways that destroy extraneous details which helps focus on the subject.
I couldn't agree more with this.

10-16-2019, 01:31 AM - 3 Likes   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
What is 'correct' exposure ?
The one that produces an image your pleased with.
10-16-2019, 02:41 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its, yet again, very subjective and it really comes down to what the photographer wants to portray.

Even an image with 30%+ blown highlights can look good with the right composition / scenario.
10-16-2019, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Like many members here I shot slide film for decades before digital came along, and in those days we all had to learn the skills to choose the right exposure at the moment of shooting because we didn't have any other choice. The fact that most of us now choose to shoot raw doesn't mean that we've lost that ability to choose the right exposure. We might well choose a different exposure for a raw file than we would for slide film, but in both cases we'd be doing the same basic thing of fitting the tones of the real world scene into the camera's available dynamic range to get the end result we want.

You can't expect any extra points for getting the exposure right in a straight-from-the-camera jpeg. As far as any old slide shooter is concerned, that's just demonstrating a basic level of competence no more significant than getting the shot in focus.

10-16-2019, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #23

Artistic Intent - Not pseudo science

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Its, yet again, very subjective and it really comes down to what the photographer wants to portray.

Even an image with 30%+ blown highlights can look good with the right composition / scenario.
Totally agree - too many photographers assess an image by it conforming to all sorts of minutiae and psuedo tech and generalise across all genres when really it's more about meeting the demands of one's artistic intent.
10-31-2019, 11:04 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

There is no correct exposure. There is desired exposure.