Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interior Designer with a $12Million Budget wants a free print for the wall......

QuoteQuote:
Take this email for example. Tim got an email from a ‘high-end interior designer’ based in California asking, not only for free prints but actually asking for the high-res source files. Tim’s response is nothing but priceless, and should be reward by all photographers that are promised “exposure for work”.

10-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aside from that, Tim, Whadd’ya think?
10-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The tone of that response sounds an awful lot like I how I talk to some people at work about computer security except with fewer f-bombs. BTW I secure the computer systems that run various power grids across the world. However having an inlaw who is a professional artist who owns a couple of galleries so has managed to do rather well for himself I have found out that sort of behavior is very common from very wealth people.
10-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Bahahaha
What a load of nonsense

10-08-2019, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, yes - the world owes them a living. I know that kind.
10-08-2019, 05:12 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Well, you don't get wealthy by 'giving' away your money.........

It is ironic how the poor and/or working class folk can be VERY generous with what little they have and the well to do can be so stingy.

I think it comes down to what most motivates a person. Those who are motivated by money are likely very good at accumulating it
and greatly adverse to letting it go.
10-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fabulous response!

10-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can not believe that they would ask especially after stating a $12 million dollar renovation and then no budget for artwork.
10-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"They love your work too..."

Hyuk Hyuk..
10-08-2019, 10:29 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perfect response, ha!
10-08-2019, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The article states that it's a 12 million dollar property, it says nothing about how much is being spent on the renovation.

"to remodel their $12m coastal retreat home".

It's still obscene.
10-09-2019, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Be fair, they could have bought 12 properties (I thought 'home' was where you lived) at $1,000,000 each, and asked for a dozen free images. I think the request, in that light, was acceptable - but I greatly preferred his response ! Good on you, Tim.

'Money doesn't talk, it swears' - Bob Dylan

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 10-09-2019 at 06:33 AM. Reason: added quote
10-09-2019, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know why people are bashing the property owners when it's the interior designer that's 100% at fault. Based on my experience, it sounds like Designer was seriously over budget. So much that Designer couldn't turn to her normal contacts for providing artwork so tried to get something for free in order to preserve the profit margin.

With the author misrepresenting significant facts, like equating the property's value to renovation budget in order to gin up class resentment, I wonder what else has the author has misrepresented.

Regarding Mr. Wallace's response: I get it, Designer was annoying and arrogant. But if his goal is to ever sell Designer his prints, he'd have been better off just thanking for the interest and quoting a price for his prints, perhaps pointing out a trade discount from his published prices to compensate Designer for selling his works.

Last edited by rogerstg; 10-09-2019 at 02:31 PM.
10-09-2019, 02:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
With the author misrepresenting significant facts, like equating the property's value to renovation budget in order to gin up class resentment, I'm a bit skeptical of the story's validity. I wonder what else has the author has misrepresented?

Regarding Mr. Wallace's response: I get it, Designer was annoying and arrogant. But if his goal is to ever sell Designer his prints, he'd have been better off just thanking for the interest and quoting a price for his prints, perhaps pointing out a trade discount from his published prices to compensate Designer for selling his works.
Asking for free prints for renovation of a 12 million dollar GET AWAY home is simply insulting.
10-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I don't think he has a goal of selling work to people who've shown they don't value what he has to offer.

He shoots some high end stuff, I'd wager he's in the position to preemptively fire people he doesn't want to work with.