Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #31
Pentaxian

I wonder whether the victimized photographer was black, white, or other. It's relevant because the attempted murders used the n-word.

10-09-2019, 07:41 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I wonder whether the victimized photographer was black, white, or other. It's relevant because the attempted murders used the n-word.
Photographer black, assailants 18/17 year old kids with names you could find in Spain so I assume they qualify as Hispanic.

---------- Post added 10-09-19 at 07:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Reality_Check Quote

That being said, simly the act of having a firearm on one's person is (or should always be) accomanied by "Condition Yellow" :

Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself". You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary.
I am almost always trying to be alert and aware of those situations (esp. at night and when alone), but no one is superhuman enough.
Most car accidents happen while the driver is distracted, which is something that everyone is really, really, *really* taught not do do. And yet, people still get distracted, because it's difficult (and unhealthy) to always be on alert.

In this situation I would have probably left before even taking the pictures, but hindsight is 20/20.
10-09-2019, 07:47 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
In this situation I would have probably left before even taking the pictures, but hindsight is 20/20.
I completely agree. Sad deal all around.
10-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A Clockwork Orange scene for real.
Queue Beethoven.

10-09-2019, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Don't understand why this happened. It obviously was not a robbery and the photographer cooperated.

I live in a small community in Wisconsin, and even here we even have drugs and gangs. Where is it safe anymore - Canada?
"Where is it safe anymore": Most places are safe. Things seem more dangerous than in the past because we have 24 hour news and the internet. Local crimes get national and international attention.

We are collectively bad at assessing risk. That's why some people are afraid of New York and Hawaii, even though the homicide rate in those states is lower than in many seemingly safer places.
10-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to admit that, when I traveled to the US for a road trip from Las Vegas through Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon, I had to look hard into the statistics to talk myself into thinking that everything would be fine and that the news are not reality.
10-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I don't travel to places where self-defense is prohibited (e.g., Washington DC, Maryland, Massachussetts, New York, New Jersey, Illinois, California, or Hawaii, especially).
I lived in New York for 18 years, I don't think I ever feared for my life. I think by self defense you mean being armed of course, and just by my own anecdotal experience, people here in Florida tell you to never argue with anyone (especially on road disputes) because you don't know who is carrying and will cut you down.

People get shot here over parking space disputes.

10-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In today's news, a Florida Man and a Zombie Army squared off over a parking space...
10-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
In today's news, a Florida Man and a Zombie Army squared off over a parking space...
I wish I was joking

Michael Drejka found guilty of manslaughter in parking lot shooting that led to 'Stand Your Ground' trial - CNN
10-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish you were joking, too. That's terrible.
10-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #41
Forum Member

Naive, I'm sure, but I've yet to figure out how we ever got to the point where shooting somebody (in a non-war situation) is a reasonable consideration.
10-09-2019, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I have to admit that, when I traveled to the US for a road trip from Las Vegas through Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon, I had to look hard into the statistics to talk myself into thinking that everything would be fine and that the news are not reality.
That drive was a breath of fresh air to me coming from New Orleans where gunfire is all the time. Even there it is pretty safe.
When I lived in Thailand the foreigners were all afraid of eating chicken because of that outbrake. The fact was out of millions eating chicken everyday a handful of cases over the year was scary. They were fine driving a scooter in traffic in a town where people died everyday.
10-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, the hardest part was indeed the driving... I made the mistake of reading that Arizona (7M inhabitants) had twice as much traffic related deaths per year as the entire Spain (around *fifty* million). I think the 10-lane highway into Phoenix was the wildest drive I've ever had. The road trip itself, wonderful, beautiful and so many other positive adjectives... That trip is actually what tipped the scale towards "buying a DSLR".
10-09-2019, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lambic Quote
Naive, I'm sure, but I've yet to figure out how we ever got to the point where shooting somebody (in a non-war situation) is a reasonable consideration.
Violence was a larger problem long before any PF member was born. See graph below (which is supported by other sources). The cause of the ~1980 uptick is open to debate: lead exposure, the war on drugs, recession, etc. are frequently cited. At least we mostly evolved past the point where it was considered normal to duel/murder a man who hurt your feelings.

A crime puzzle: Violent crime declines in America • The Berkeley Blog
10-09-2019, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
it was considered normal to duel/murder a man who hurt your feelings.
I know this is a serious topic, but remember the "Got Milk?" commerical?