Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am highly skilled with swords and knives.
Like Lord of the Rings Elven skilled.
I can cut down swathes of people in a few minutes.

Whether its guns or swords, don't make a difference in the number I can take down.

Yeah...right...

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 10-08-2019 at 11:59 PM. Reason: politics
10-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Watching the footage the victim really showed why you shouldn't try to make a confrontation with people when no one else is around, especially when you're outnumbered. As soon as racial slurs were being sent out he should have tried anything to get out of the situation.
10-08-2019, 11:52 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Watching the footage the victim really showed why you shouldn't try to make a confrontation with people when no one else is around, especially when you're outnumbered. As soon as racial slurs were being sent out he should have tried anything to get out of the situation.
They would have shot him anyway most likely. Three 18/17 year old kids? Someone stupid enough to shoot a livestreaming photographer, then leave the phone AND the camera, would still have tried to shoot.
Thankfully he's okay. The fact that there has to be a crowdfunding campaign to help him pay the hospital bills is sickening, though.
10-08-2019, 11:59 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A reminder that political discussion is taboo here. One more inappropriate comment and there will be repercussions.

10-09-2019, 12:25 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by WondringLisa Quote
What the hell is wrong with some people!
People??!! The only people in this story is the photographer.
10-09-2019, 02:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Wow, he’s really lucky to be alive after taking 9 bullets. Someone should raise some funds for him.
10-09-2019, 03:25 AM   #22
Pentaxian

A mind boggling and sad story. Glad to hear that the photographer is alive and another reminder that humans are strange animals. I remember seeing tutorials and talking to wildlife experts on how to safely take pictures of large predators (when I was hoping to encounter bears in north Sweden), but this is another level. To be honest, I'm always cautious when taking photos of people in cities. How does that work for you?

10-09-2019, 03:38 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Unregistered User

Among advocates of the right to self-defense, there's a phrase that should be kept in mind by anyone and everyone: "situational awareness". When you're out "in the world", not in a place that you control, you have to be aware of what's going on around you all the time if you want to keep yourself safe. And you have to use your "spidey sense" (intuition, gut instinct, Holy Spirit, or whatever you like to call it) to have some perception of the motivations of the people around you. I'll bet this guy would say, "Dammit, I KNEW those guys were up to no good when they demanded that I take their pictures for free." That would have been the time to (1) get together with other people, whether by yelling for help or walking to where they are (if there are people available, (2) leave the area, and (3) prepare for self-defense (assuming you're in a locality that doesn't prohibit self-defense). Always listen to "that small, still voice" that tells you trouble's brewing - it's always right (and if it ain't, you don't lose anything by avoiding what looks like trouble brewing).

I don't travel to places where self-defense is prohibited (e.g., Washington DC, Maryland, Massachussetts, New York, New Jersey, Illinois, California, or Hawaii, especially).
10-09-2019, 04:59 AM   #24
Veteran Member

That's horrific. Nine times he was shot! Jesus.
10-09-2019, 05:42 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Senseless behaviour happens everywhere Dave.
Thank You! I agree senseless behavior can happen anywhere.
10-09-2019, 06:13 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K1000 was stolen from me at gunpoint (late 70's). Retrospectively, I think we were scoped out and followed until the guy had us "alone" (friend and I were cruising around Washington D.C. on foot taking pictures). Situational awareness is key.
10-09-2019, 06:48 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
And you have to use your "spidey sense"
Somebody I know went on a tour to a country in the Middle East. Somehow, a man convinced my friend to get on a camel to get his picture taken. Said camel stood up, and the man demanded a ransom be paid before he would command the camel to lie down again (and let my friend off). Sort of a funny story, sort of a hard-won lesson learned about not being too trusting.
10-09-2019, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One big reason why I prefer to have a firearm on my person. Never underestimate the power of stupid people, especially in large numbers. Kids these days must be taught differently when it comes to the value of human life. Sad deal.
10-09-2019, 07:27 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reality_Check Quote
One big reason why I prefer to have a firearm on my person. Never underestimate the power of stupid people, especially in large numbers. Kids these days must be taught differently when it comes to the value of human life. Sad deal.
Without getting into whether carrying a weapon or not is appropriate (not for the thread for sure) I would say that, in this case it wouldn't have changed anything. Shot from the back and, from the video, with no indication of seeing the handgun being pulled out.
10-09-2019, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Without getting into whether carrying a weapon or not is appropriate (not for the thread for sure) I would say that, in this case it wouldn't have changed anything. Shot from the back and, from the video, with no indication of seeing the handgun being pulled out.
Fair point - admittedly I have not yet watched the video.

That being said, simly the act of having a firearm on one's person is (or should always be) accomanied by "Condition Yellow" :

Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself". You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary.

Also, at least in Minnesota, one has a Duty to Retreat if at all possible. When you're constantly aware of your surroundings with the understanding that you have a duty to retreat the chance of being in such a situation is severely reduced, though never completely eliminated. Simply put - as soon as you have the slightest incliniation of something amiss, you exit stage left quick fast & in a hurry. The training I received prior to receiving a permit to carry really, really hammered home doing everything you can to avoid these situations in the first place.

I pray that this person recovers fully and continues the passion for photography.