Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you see a photo you like, figure out why you like it and how to incorporate that idea in your shots. You can duplicate the technique in a macro shot even with a boring subject, then be ready for something interesting.

10-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back Lisa! You will so enjoy macro photography. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos!
10-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
I do need a better tripod. With weight on the front of my camera my tripod tends to have a gradual downwards creep.
10-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

" there's a [ section ] for that "

Pentax Accessory Reviews » Tripods and Rigging

Read more at: Tripods and Rigging - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

for a sturdy table top one:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/-moman-mini-tripod.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/36082...ml#post4206692

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-08-2019 at 04:57 PM.
10-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WondringLisa Quote
There's a nature reserve in town, and a few reserves and gardens I can travel out to occasionally as I have a car again these days. I have also started keeping ants, so in the future there will be macro opportunities there (see attached test shot) :-)
A nature reserve will have many many macro opportunities if you like nature. You may also want to try focus stacking.

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
If you haven't got one already I'd suggest a good tripod. One of the things I enjoy about macro is many of the most mundane things we see everyday take on a completely different look at the macro level. Have fun.
I can't shoot macro without a tripod, make sure you get one that is rated well above the actual weight of your gear.

I do need a better tripod. With weight on the front of my camera my tripod tends to have a gradual downwards creep.
I would also recommend a tripod with a Arca compatible quick release, and one that can get very low. A beanbag can be useful for low shooting too. Don't forget to have a lot of fun shooting.
10-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
I do have a mini tripod that isn't too bad that has legs that can go sideways to go low.
10-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #22
Closed Account

Hi Lisa. Good that you are back, and that you have found that you enjoy macro. Looking forward to seeing mmaannny more images from you.

10-08-2019, 06:30 PM - 4 Likes   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
On sunday just gone I drove to Richmond Park in London to shoot Deer there :-) (with camera obvs lol)

Roe Deer | Wond'ring Photography | Flickr
10-08-2019, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The non wr version of the 100 macro has an aperture ring ring which makes extension tubes or reversing easier.
10-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back

With a 100mm macro lens, you don't have to go far. I do a lot of macro/close up work from the comfort of my house. And if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll go out to the yard, LOL! Weather is never an issue when shooting macro, nor is time of day. And you can pretty much shoot anything. I'm always grabbing flowers from the supermarket to shoot. That's always fun.

As mentioned above by DW58, if you're going to do macro/close up work, definitely invest in a tripod. I'd look for one that allows for a lot of flexibility like the Manfrotto 190XPRO or a Vangard Alta Pro.

I have an older Manfrotto 190XPROB with an Acratech Ultimate Ball Head. Great for macro work, can pretty much move the camera where I want it.

There are some great videos on Youtube for macro idea generation. And of course Naas (a PF member) has an excellent extreme macro site that is worth checking out. Extreme Macro Photography

Looking forward to seeing your work.

10-09-2019, 03:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian

It's good to be active and train the eye, so welcome aboard and enjoy the macro work (I have an M100/4 macro). The great thing is that you can just take it outside to the nearest plant and discover an entirely new word.
10-09-2019, 03:36 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

On sunday just gone I drove to Richmond Park in London to shoot Deer there :-) (with camera obvs lol)
nice

macro ?

seriousy, the D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro gives you a nice short telephoto lens as well as a nice macro

the 100mm gives you some working room so you don't have to be right on top of your target for 1:1
10-09-2019, 03:36 AM   #28
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like your roe deer. Nicely captured.
10-09-2019, 04:50 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
nice

macro ?

seriousy, the D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro gives you a nice short telephoto lens as well as a nice macro

the 100mm gives you some working room so you don't have to be right on top of your target for 1:1

I shot the deer before I got my macro lens
10-09-2019, 05:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Hi all,

It has been some time since I was last really active with my Pentax due to work and health (the former I no longer have). i am trying to get myself back into it and have been travelling out more with my camera as and when i can with some good results. I still have trouble thinking of interesting ideas for places and things to shoot (any suggestions?)

In the last week I have picked up a 'Pentax smc DFA 100mm f/2.8 Macro Lens' and a ring light after I received a decent size tax rebate, as I have long had an interest in macro photography and figured it was a good opportunity.

Hopefully I will start entering photo contests once more before long.

Lisa
New macro lens and need some inspiration? Try these cards LightBox Photography Cards: Macro Edition. I have the normal and the macro decks and used them to set myself a weekly '52' challenge.