Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2019, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I can see why ....
This is the place for James Bond wannabe folk, shaken but not stirred...

10-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
about the same as climbing El Capitan [ aka El Cap ] without ropes
Well then by Captain Kirk's logic, "because it's there."

Or if you go by Shatner's explanation, "they want to make love to the mountain."

Though I don't know if such an eloquent case can be made for these train track tourists.
10-10-2019, 02:28 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was at a concert this summer where the artist was took evasive action against people taking cell phone video of the show. The ushers worked as spotters using walkie talkies to give the location of offenders to the people controlling the stage lighting. It is something else to see the narrow beam of death seeking out that holder of a phone or pad. Once found, they would simply let them cook for about a bit before moving on to the next one. After about five minutes, the audience got the message and the phones disappeared.

Steve
This is brilliant. A couple years ago I was at a metal festival and Rammstein played a couple minute PSA with text telling people to pocket the phones and enjoy the music, they could go to Youtube later for the video.

Althought to be fai, metal festivals don't tend to have a lot of phone-recording-mania because we are all busy (friendly) smashing into each other
10-10-2019, 02:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

..... tourists throng to this place

and why the government wants to keep them at bay
Thanks for helping me choose my next holiday destination

10-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Can you post a larger image. I cannot see what is going on
This is an image provided by the news-site; I have little control over how large it is displayed.
It shows people within inches of the track, which runs down the middle of the image.
10-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is an image provided by the news-site; I have little control over how large it is displayed.
It shows people within inches of the track, which runs down the middle of the image.
Yes, sorry. I got there in the end. A shame.
10-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Much like the several people in B.C. in recent years who have perished by falling into dangerous waterfalls trying to get 'that' selfie for instagram. One of them my wife knew, albeit not well. And why do teens eat tide-pod's? Unfortunately we're raising a generation of people who think that having the worlds attention is the only thing worth trying for.

10-11-2019, 09:06 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
There are also some cases of people destroying artworks while taking selfies, for example (but not an isolated case):

Oops! A Gallery Selfie Gone Wrong Causes $200,000 in Damage. - The New York Times

I was at a concert recently, and although not a lot of selfie takers, but so many phones in the air that you could hardly enjoy the show. Needless to say a lot of folks were not pleased about it.
Notice in this clip that the 'stumbler' isn't the only one taking a seflie. The amount of time and effort spent daily on selfies is likely a rather shocking statistic.
10-11-2019, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lambic Quote
Notice in this clip that the 'stumbler' isn't the only one taking a seflie. The amount of time and effort spent daily on selfies is likely a rather shocking statistic.
I am not at all surprised. I have seen al these selfie-people in action. As a honny photografer, everywhere we go, at what are now called instagramable places, one has to stay in line to take a photo of the "backgroung", or just calmly enjoy the scenery.

But, what i have observed in the last couple of months is the ammount of people that video-call other people while at a place with nice scenery, or known tourist attraction, etc. I find that even more stupid/dangerous.
10-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Funnily enough, i've been there and thought the tourists were ridiculous. While they were busy capturing selfies, i was busy capturing portraits of locals avoiding tourists.
10-11-2019, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
Funnily enough, i've been there and thought the tourists were ridiculous. While they were busy capturing selfies, i was busy capturing portraits of locals avoiding tourists.
and I was capturing the tourists taking their 'selfies'.