Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Do you have any places I could research the 67 in space please?
I am not aware that the 67 ever went into space. The closest were in high altitude recon or surveillance aircraft...and even then in modified housings, backs, etc.

10-10-2019, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I am not aware that the 67 ever went into space. The closest were in high altitude recon or surveillance aircraft...and even then in modified housings, backs, etc.
Thanks , I was getting ahead of myself, there was a non focusing 67 lens advertised on a Japanese site and it may have been involved in the aircraft surveillance, rereading your response, space was a bit of overreach by me, thank you
10-11-2019, 01:18 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is making me wonder which cameras were used by cosmonauts during the Soviet era of spaceflight. An online search reveals basically nothing, since no matter which terms I use Google can't seem to believe that I'm not looking for info about NASA. So did the Soviets use Zenits? Or Kievs? Or something built specially for the purpose?
10-11-2019, 01:54 AM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
This is making me wonder which cameras were used by cosmonauts during the Soviet era of spaceflight. An online search reveals basically nothing, since no matter which terms I use Google can't seem to believe that I'm not looking for info about NASA. So did the Soviets use Zenits? Or Kievs? Or something built specially for the purpose?
Surprisingly, given my interests, it's not an area I've looked into much. This might get you started, though, Dave:
Soviet Space Cameras

10-11-2019, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Surprisingly, given my interests, it's not an area I've looked into much. This might get you started, though, Dave:
Soviet Space Cameras

Thanks Mike. Yep, I assumed you'd be the man who'd know. I looked at that article when I was searching earlier, and it's a really fascinating read about the remote cameras used in the unmanned Soviet probes. It doesn't seem to cover the manned missions though, although I haven't had time to read it all the way through yet. I'll be looking at it again in more detail later.

I also found an old Amateur Photographer piece about a camera built for the Soviet manned moon landing project that never happened: ?Top secret? space camera turns up at auction - Amateur Photographer

I'm wondering if maybe that wonderfully kludgy looking Gomz Leningrad was the standard Soviet space camera, although the article isn't clear. It looks like exactly the engineering approach they always used in their space programme though: the Americans spent millions developing a pen that could write in zero gravity, while the Soviets used a pencil.
10-11-2019, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Soviet Space Cameras
Gherman Titov on August 7, 1961 on the Vostok 2 (second man in space) is credited as taking the first "manned" photograph of the Earth with a Konvas camera (made by Zenit). However, he was shooting motion pictures and CCCP used one of the frames from the movie to reproduce as a single still image.