Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 07:26 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I store my (culled) pictures in their daily folders from the camera in month by month then year by year on external hard drives, but I use Flickr as a sort of referencing system - subject specific albums on Flickr have representative photos from which I can get the date and go back to everything shot on that day. Works OK for me (as long as I keep up the Flickr subs)

10-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I organize non-sport/event photos by date, which is a bit clunkier than I'd like.

I'm a bit smarter with sports and events since I actually name the folders with the name of the event rather than just use the date.
10-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By 'season':
Fall+Winter (YEAR)
Spring+Summer (YEAR)
and then subfolders within those if necessary

I convert all RAWs to JPGS after processing them and keep the RAWs of the best images. The rest I delete.
10-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Year and month is the master file, within is a place or other ID and a numeral if there are multiple visits in the month with a "tag" such as "fog" or "16mm" if appropriate. Of course there are pitfalls but I am going to make a written catalog someday, really I am.

10-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Year and month is the master file, within is a place or other ID and a numeral if there are multiple visits in the month with a "tag" such as "fog" or "16mm" if appropriate. Of course there are pitfalls but I am going to make a written catalog someday, really I am.
lol.. yes so I am .. I tell myself thats the project for those cold winter days when I cant take pictures.
10-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Lightroom, but if I decided to abandon Lightroom for any reason I think my system would remain essentially the same. I set it up before buying Lightroom and though Lightroom makes it easier to use, the framework can be used with other programs or just by searching the folder structure in the operating system. I started this with a Sony Mavica in 2000.

- As images are copied to the computer they are renamed to YYYY.MM.DD@HH.MM.SS.####. The #### is the camera image number which sometimes help distinguish rapidly shot images.
- Images are copied into a folder for each day. The folders are named YYYY-MM-DD. Lightroom does this automatically on import but other programs will as well. I used for many years before Lightroom a simple program called 'Renamer' or somthing like that which essentially did the same renaming and copying functions that Lightroom now performs.
- After import to Lightroom I add keywords or tags as they are now called. It takes great discipline to maintain a logical keyword structure but Lightroom makes it easier.
- Keywords are structured meaning that adding 'Gala' as a keyword also adds everything higher in the structure: "Food>Fruit>Apple>Gala"
- Images have color markers added during the process. On import Lightroom marks everything with "red", when I have completed my first sort and delete I mark the keepers as 'yellow', once developed they are marked "green" and when titles and keywording is complete they are marked "blue", and once uploaded to a sales site or moved to the proper collection the color tag is removed.

- I also use a mix of both regular and smart collections to sort things into logical groups. For example I have a collection "Amazon" which includes all images for sale in my Amazon shop. I also have smart collections for things like "5 stars", "stock image", "portfolio" and "no keywords" to help me stay organized.
- Keywords and star ratings are written out to the files themselves so that information is available from the operating system if Lightroom goes away or my catalog suffers a catastrophic failure.

So essentially I have four separate systems of organization that operate independently. First is the folder structure so that if I know the date or approximate date of an image I can get quite close. Second is a structured keyword system that works both within Lightroom and through the operating system. Searching for 'Apple' will return all images with that keyword. And third is organization by purpose or status using collections. So I can quickly see all images that have no keywords or all images that are for sale on stock sites or in my current portfolio. And fourth the progress of the develop process is marked by color tags so that I can come back a week or month later and know for certain the develop status of any image or batch or images.
10-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
lol.. yes so I am .. I tell myself thats the project for those cold winter days when I cant take pictures.
Lucky you. We "snowbird" to the south so I cannot use the cold winter day excuse!

10-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm simple, I just move all of the files from the SD card over to an external SSD. After I edit whatever I want to edit, I move the corresponding JPEGs, PNGs or TIFFs over to a folder named "Finished Pictures" or "Edited Pictures (JPG PNG TIFF)." Speaking of, I need to go through my first SSD and delete some pictures...
10-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
On import Lightroom marks everything with "red", when I have completed my first sort and delete I mark the keepers as 'yellow', once developed they are marked "green" and when titles and keywording is complete they are marked "blue", and once uploaded to a sales site or moved to the proper collection the color tag is removed.
I do something like this with color labels as well--here's my scheme in case anybody is looking for ideas.
- Red: camera original
- Orange: composite (e.g. merged HDR, merged focus stack, etc)
- Yellow: intermediate (e.g. tiff exported from RawTherapee as input for pixel editing in Affinity)
- Green: Final version (all edits done)
- Purple: Alternate final (maybe a color version of a B&W or something)

This allows me to spot the purpose of a file at a glance. This generally gets set once and doesn't change afterward (except maybe green/purple).
10-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I download images into a transfer folder, from where I move them to subject folders and delete the rubbish. The problem is if I don't do the sorting straight away, they tend to pile up in the transfer folder. I regularly back up to an external drive in case of hard drive crashes. I also have Lightroom 6, which is a wonderful tool for managing images. You can search all your images by name, file type, size, date, camera, lens, f stop, shutter speed etc.
10-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine also are organized by date; month & year. I find this pretty easy to find a specific image.
10-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #27

Camera/yyyy/yyyy-mm-dd/IMGPxxxx.DNG Original
Camera/yyyy/yyyy-mm-dd/IMGPxxxx.thumb.jpg From RAW extracted full size JPEG "thumbnail"
Camera/yyyy/yyyy-mm-dd/IMGPxxxx.edit*.jpg Edited JPEG
Camera/yyyy/yyyy-mm-dd/IMGPxxxx.DNG.xmp XMP Sidecare file for digiKam / darktable shared tagging

I have photos from >4 different digital cameras sorted that way, going back to 2003. Last year i collected all my photos and used exiftool to sort them into this folder structure.

Analog scans are sorted by Camera/yyyy/date-film/xx.tiff
10-10-2019, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #28

Folders by date, starting with the year in front. The raw images go in a separate folder inside the date taken, though I typically cull those a little bit more because of size. I use ACDSee Photo Studio and tag the pictures in there.

Great topic btw - we can all gain ideas from how others do things.
10-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by ben.p Quote
One folder for the events, one for miscellaneous.
Each folder organized per year
Only one catalog in lightroom
I forgot the Lightroom collections.
You can synchronize them to lightroom cc, so you can easily show your photos with your phone.
10-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #30
Veteran Member

We use a network attached hard drive so that all computers on the network can access the files.

It is organized by Subject and then by Subject-Year-Month if needed.

So the structure is something like:

Pictures > Family Get Together 2014
Pictures > Family Get Together 2015
etc...

Pictures > Nature > Winter 2018... Winter 2019 etc...
Pictures > Nature > Birds...
Pictures > Nature > Landscape...

You get the idea.