Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flickr 6k.

Anyone noticed now that flickr is 6k?

Whilst I welcome it on some of my images (pixelshifted pixel peeping fun etc), on others its not such a welcome addition. I was working on the images of old with a zoom to a certain point and not beyond. Wondering how to move forward... upload some of my images at lower resolutions etc.

Anyone else feel same?

BB

10-18-2019, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
the announcement was noticed

Flickr Pro to increase maximum photo size to 6K - PentaxForums.com
10-18-2019, 08:13 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is no big deal to me. I don't have a 6K display and currently restrict viewing of my stuff to about a fifth of that.

Steve
10-18-2019, 08:18 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Anyone noticed now that flickr is 6k?

Whilst I welcome it on some of my images (pixelshifted pixel peeping fun etc), on others its not such a welcome addition. I was working on the images of old with a zoom to a certain point and not beyond. Wondering how to move forward... upload some of my images at lower resolutions etc.

Anyone else feel same?

BB
Settings and controls
We love big, beautiful photos on Flickr and hope you’ll always choose to share them at the largest size we support — but of course, your specified preferences will always be respected: you can set the maximum display size in your account, as well as control who can download photos.

10-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #20

merged with earlier thread
10-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is no big deal to me. I don't have a 6K display and currently restrict viewing of my stuff to about a fifth of that.

Steve
It's the zoom in issue. I have a 4k monitor, the image of course whilst natively 6k is still showing as an image in a browser so therefore smaller, but now when you zoom in... it's pretty nuts.

It's a good and bad thing. It can show how optically awesome a shot can be if it is well taken (pixelshift etc), however if you have done a half body portrait shot, some eye sharpening and the intended viewing is not to zoom in on the eye then it's pretty bad at showing stuff like that up.

When I edit I tend to think of it as being something of a process akin to holding up a nice A3 print. You can take the image in full at arms length and then bring it in closer to inspect (this was more like how the old flickr zoom felt). Now its like holding a magnifying glass over the image when you zoom lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Settings and controls
We love big, beautiful photos on Flickr and hope you’ll always choose to share them at the largest size we support — but of course, your specified preferences will always be respected: you can set the maximum display size in your account, as well as control who can download photos.
Yep I found this option soon after posting, I have pulled mine back to 4k, might go 3k, seems better.

It's such as shame you can't decide (other than resolution uploads) what size to let the viewer inspect on. I wouldn't at all mind some of my landscape pixel shift shots to being 6k but then some other shots 3 or 4k etc.

Guess I'll have to play around with output settings in LR (longest edge stuff etc). Still I didn't want to do that as I also think of Flickr as a bit of a backup archive of sorts...