Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2019, 01:49 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yup, it's sad, but that's the way competition works. Too bad, I liked their site a lot. Not as much as this forum, though.

10-12-2019, 05:19 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really sad to see them go. One of the few worthwhile DPReview alternatives, and (unlike DPR of recent years) one of the very few capable or willing to perform unbiassed in-depth reviews of Pentax gear.

But then I must admit that I've come to spend a lot less time on gear-centred sites like DPR and IR than I used to.
10-12-2019, 05:33 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it speaks to how things work. DP Review -- willing to be inflammatory, quick to hype up stuff and even quicker to pound on Pentax is successful. Imaging Resource -- trying to be balanced, non inflammatory and respectful of all players, even small ones like Pentax ends up not getting the traffic and hits needed to keep going.

(although I will say that the fact that DP Review has a forum and comments section attached to it also helps).
10-12-2019, 05:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Too bad. IR was the site I trusted the most, especially their image comparison tool, to make my own mind about camera models and formats.

10-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it speaks to how things work. DP Review -- willing to be inflammatory, quick to hype up stuff and even quicker to pound on Pentax is successful. Imaging Resource -- trying to be balanced, non inflammatory and respectful of all players, even small ones like Pentax ends up not getting the traffic and hits needed to keep going.
Am I wrong to believe that the traffic doesn't really matter for DPR since they are a subsidiary of Amazon, somehow the activities of DPR get funded by camera, lenses, phones and drone sales on amazon. While on the other end , Imaging Resource have to live without being funded by a large retail group. That's a huge difference these days.
10-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Am I wrong to believe that the traffic doesn't really matter for DPR since they are a subsidiary of Amazon, somehow the activities of DPR get funded by camera, lenses, phones and drone sales on amazon. While on the other end , Imaging Resource have to live without being funded by a large retail group. That's a huge difference these days.
How much funding from Amazon would DPR get if they had little to no traffic and weren't sending gobs of people to their parent company to buy stuff? Sure, Amazon could keep them afloat if their visitors stop coming, but why would they?
10-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's difficult to say what the reasons for it's demise are. With camera sales in general declining the number of people visiting photo oriented web sites may be seeing similar declines in visitors.

Another contributing factor is declining ad revenues from camera manufacturers as they try to maintain profit levels.

A trend that we're all to likely to see more of in the future.

10-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
How much funding from Amazon would DPR get if they had little to no traffic and weren't sending gobs of people to their parent company to buy stuff?
Sure. But due to the ownership, the traffic might only be a goal given to DPR by amazon HQ, well that's how I'd see it.
10-12-2019, 12:02 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm guessing that Amazon would decrease funding to DP Review if they didn't have adequate traffic on their site and or send adequate traffic to Amazon. Amazon isn't in the habit of just giving money to people to no purpose, even though they have plenty of it. At the same time, DP Review has had no trouble taking junkets from the folks they are reviewing and that probably helps too. I don't get the sense that Imaging Resource has much more funding than whatever the clicks on the ads on their page give them.
10-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
A Facebook post by Dave Etchells: David Etchells - IR: The end of an era, maybe? This will... | Facebook
10-12-2019, 11:22 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm guessing that Amazon would decrease funding to DP Review if they didn't have adequate traffic on their site and or send adequate traffic to Amazon. Amazon isn't in the habit of just giving money to people to no purpose, even though they have plenty of it. At the same time, DP Review has had no trouble taking junkets from the folks they are reviewing and that probably helps too. I don't get the sense that Imaging Resource has much more funding than whatever the clicks on the ads on their page give them.
Sure. Ultimately, those sites who employ staff have to pay their staff and eventually make a profit, so it comes down to how much money is generated directly or indirectly. I guess the situation is similar for Pentax forum, somehow people who dedicate their professiional time to manage the site have to be compensated. That's why a little bit of moderated trolling (to stir emotional response from other members) is also a necessary ingredient to keep those sites alive and profitable.
10-13-2019, 01:08 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure. Ultimately, those sites who employ staff have to pay their staff and eventually make a profit, so it comes down to how much money is generated directly or indirectly. I guess the situation is similar for Pentax forum, somehow people who dedicate their professiional time to manage the site have to be compensated. That's why a little bit of moderated trolling (to stir emotional response from other members) is also a necessary ingredient to keep those sites alive and profitable.
We might occasionally see some trolling here, but it's neither wanted nor appreciated regardless of the traffic and activity it might generate. And from what I've observed, @Adam has a healthy atitude to site traffic, prioritising quality over quantity...
10-13-2019, 07:25 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is sad indeed. IR is one of the most, if not THE most, dependable, objective, and unbiased camera review sites on the Web. They will be sorely missed.

Steve
Too right, this is sad news indeed . One of the few sites that respected Pentax and gave them a fair review.
10-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
We might occasionally see some trolling here, but it's neither wanted nor appreciated regardless of the traffic and activity it might generate. And from what I've observed, @Adam has a healthy atitude to site traffic, prioritising quality over quantity...
I agree that since Pentax forum is sponsored by Adorama and B+H (unless my understanding is incorrect), one of the priority is the respect of customers of all brands, because a sale is a sale, if not a Pentax as long as it's a sale it's good. DPR have an advantage over Pentax forums, is that DPR are in line with their mission statement, while Pentax forum is a bit stuck with being Pentax specific forum but also having to welcome leakage of customer toward other brands. That's why Ricoh were more open with Imaging Resource at the last CP+ and more tight lips at the interview questions from Pentax forums. Basically, due to the non-Pentax section, if you are Ricoh getting interviewed by Pentax forums, any mistake can lead to a raft of customer switching brands because PF offer the ability to sell your Pentax gear in the market place, buy a competitor brand , and advertise it in the non-Pentax section of the forum.
10-13-2019, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree that since Pentax forum is sponsored by Adorama and B+H (unless my understanding is incorrect), one of the priority is the respect of customers of all brands, because a sale is a sale, if not a Pentax as long as it's a sale it's good.
I'm not aware of Adorama or B&H sponsoring PentaxForums, though I guess it's possible. I don't know Adam's business arrangements. I do know that if members purchase from either company using site specific links, PF gets a small affiliate incentive at no cost to the customer. And I guess Adorama and B&H advertising appears on the site. But even if there is sponsorship, that has no relevance or bearing on our policy against bashing of any brand, which is just one of several rules intended to maintain a friendly and respectful site for a wide membership who shoot many brands (even if our focus is Pentax and Ricoh).

DPR have an advantage over Pentax forums, is that DPR are in line with their mission statement, while Pentax forum is a bit stuck with being Pentax specific forum but also having to welcome leakage of customer toward other brands.
What a strange thing to suggest We don't "welcome leakage of customers towards other brands"... This site, as you point out, is centred around Pentax and Ricoh, so it's clearly in the interests of everyone here that folks shoot these brands (whatever other brands they might use), contribute to forum activity, perhaps become (or remain) site supporters if they wish, maybe even buy through affiliate links occasionally. So, sure, we'd all like folks to shoot Pentax / Ricoh as that's the life-blood of the site. But we don't castigate or look down upon those who shoot other brands too or instead... Which is just as well for me, given that I also shoot A-mount

That's why Ricoh were more open with Imaging Resource at the last CP+ and more tight lips at the interview questions from Pentax forums. Basically, due to the non-Pentax section, if you are Ricoh getting interviewed by Pentax forums, any mistake can lead to a raft of customer switching brands because PF offer the ability to sell your Pentax gear in the market place, buy a competitor brand , and advertise it in the non-Pentax section of the forum.
You've lost me, I'm afraid... but I think this might be a convoluted way of saying you don't like the Non-Pentax forum and some of the discussions therein (my apologies if I've mis-interpreted). That forum, however, is covered by the same posting rules as the rest of the site, including those related to brand bashing, inflammatory posting and trolling... so if members feel rules are being broken, they should report the posts in question so we can assess them. Beyond that, I'd advise anyone who finds the Non-Pentax forum frustrating to simply avoid it.

If you want to pick up on specifics, please PM me or the team.

And, with my apologies to the OP, let's get this thread get back on topic

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-13-2019 at 12:25 PM.