Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2019, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh No... Imaging Resource closing down...

The end of an era? Digital camera review site Imaging Resource set to close: Digital Photography Review

QuoteQuote:

The end of an era? Digital camera review site Imaging Resource set to close

We're sad to report that Imaging Resource, one of our most longstanding (and very friendly) competitors is set to close at the end of 2019, after more than 20 years. In a lengthy message to friends in the industry, founder Dave Etchells confirmed that while the site will remain available through at least spring next year, content production will most likely cease in the coming months.
Imaging Resource and DPReview grew up together in the early days of consumer digital imaging, and although many of our respective readers might imagine that we've had a competitive relationship, the truth could not be more different. The photo industry is, by and large, a friendly and close-knit community. A community of nerds, sure. And not a few misfits, but bonded together over a common interest in photography and technology. As king of the nerds (and I know he would have no problem with me saying that) Dave has been a central, and literally towering figure for 20 years.
Although many of our respective readers might imagine that we've had a competitive relationship, the truth could not be more different.
We have worked closely with Dave and his team of writers since our respective sites were in their infancy. Just personally, I've had the pleasure of accompanying Dave on several factory tours, including some where we were the only two journalists present. Along the way we've shared notes, resources (you'll find our images in Dave's recent Sigma factory tour article, and a lot of Dave's insights in ours!) and of course a lot of hangovers.
I hope that there are still a few shared hangovers ahead of us, because the chances of Dave and his team leaving the photo industry entirely seem extremely thin (it's kind of like the mafia, in that respect). And on that note, we've been in communication with Dave about I.R.'s pending closure for some time, and I'm hopeful that we can play a part in continuing its legacy going forward into the future.

10-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is sad indeed. IR is one of the most, if not THE most, dependable, objective, and unbiased camera review sites on the Web. They will be sorely missed.

Steve
10-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
anyone can help save parts of the site for prosperity by having the Internet Wayback Machine image the site pages.
10-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well that just flat sucks. I started perusing them in their early days, and it was their review of a Sony DSC-V3 that led me to make the big jump of buying one and my first taste of what a nice digital camera could do. I will miss them.

Sony DSC-V3 Digital Camera Review: Intro and Highlights

10-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And to add to my earlier post, their review of the K-3 II cinched that purchase for me, and that was my first DSLR, and what I replaced the above Sony with.
10-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Oh No... Imaging Resource closing down...
Thanks for posting this information.

Like other folks, I will certainly miss the IR website. I found a lot of useful information there, and valued their detailed reviews of cameras and lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
IR is one of the most, if not THE most, dependable, objective, and unbiased camera review sites on the Web.
Indeed. I find it ironic that the site's demise is announced on DPReview, while the Imaging Resource website appears mum on the matter at the moment.

Edit: Hmmm, I'm thinking... has IR been gobbled up by Amazon/DPReview?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-11-2019 at 04:20 PM.
10-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is from Mike Tomkins, IR's Senior Reviews Editor, in response to a post:

QuoteQuote:
We feel you, believe me. It's been a heck of a ride these past two-plus decades, with some really, really great cameras along the way.
I'm sure many or even most of us will remain in the photo business, even if we don't yet know how or where -- I know that's certainly my goal, if possible -- and there's a slight chance IR itself could continue too, with its belt greatly tightened and a much leaner team.
I'm definitely holding out hope for that, even if I'm not involved myself, because Dave's creation really deserves to make it to 25 years, having come so tantalizingly close. (I've been here for 21 of those, as of year's end, and can clearly remember when we were literally operating out of his basement.)
Thanks for caring, wish us all luck, cross your fingers, and please do remember to keep clicking through our affiliate links to help us out at no cost to you when making any gear purchases!

10-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I took a look at their Alexa metrics and IR is seriously deficient in sites linking to their content, with only 1,900 sites vs. 20,129 for dpreview. Alexa ranking (traffic) is 24,610 vs. 1,483 (low is good) for dpreview. Engagement is very poor at only 2.4 daily page views per visitor. This is sad to see...perhaps a good consultant?

imaging-resource.com Competitive Analysis, Marketing Mix and Traffic - Alexa

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-11-2019 at 05:41 PM.
10-11-2019, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Same for me! Bought that DSC-V3 after reading their review and stayed reading their reviews for years after. I always thought they were unbiased.

BTW, I still love my DSC-V3 even to this day.

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Well that just flat sucks. I started perusing them in their early days, and it was their review of a Sony DSC-V3 that led me to make the big jump of buying one and my first taste of what a nice digital camera could do. I will miss them.

Sony DSC-V3 Digital Camera Review: Intro and Highlights

---------- Post added 10-11-2019 at 08:00 PM ----------

Too weird. I bought the K3 after my Kx . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
And to add to my earlier post, their review of the K-3 II cinched that purchase for me, and that was my first DSLR, and what I replaced the above Sony with.
10-11-2019, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
Same for me! Bought that DSC-V3 after reading their review and stayed reading their reviews for years after. I always thought they were unbiased.

BTW, I still love my DSC-V3 even to this day.

---------- Post added 10-11-2019 at 08:00 PM ----------

Too weird. I bought the K3 after my Kx . . .
Yep, that little Sony is a great camera. Sitting about 12 feet from me. When the charger died a few years ago, I went and bought a NOS one off eBay, because I couldn't let that be the death knell for the little guy.

And not really that strange on the K-3 purchase. The K-3/K-3 II is a pretty sweet camera, just like they said!
10-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have enjoyed their site. Sad to see it go.
10-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

This is certainly sad news
10-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm finding this quite upsetting. You could always depend on them for a balanced review for the photographer (rather than videographer). They will surely be missed!
10-11-2019, 11:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

That's so sad and disappointing.

I found their in-depth field tests really helpful. They were a much better and more impartial source than the dpreview behemoth.
10-12-2019, 01:14 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

From the small amount of comments on most articles you could sense their days had gone. All the action is at dpreview. As in so many cases the best and the most popular is not the same.