Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Nothing explicit, but they’e changed. I think it is the higher volume and the new warehouse, meaning less attention to detail.

10-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I bought an FA 20/2.8 from them last month. It was rated Ex+, I think. It was close to brand new. Pictures were good and it came packed well.
10-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There has been a clear change over the past few months - heavier promotion, new website and, apparently, not so reliable ratings. I have not personally bought from them in the last 6 months but I have decided not to follow through a couple of times because I realized it was not a good a price as it seemed at first. No longer the safe to order without pictures or clear descriptions site it used to be.
10-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Keh is my favorite camera/lens supplier, but you cannot trust their ratings! I buy stuff marked Ugly and they send me Excellent stuff without a mark on it.

I bought a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and a Sigma 30 f1.4 that were rated as bargain and both were almost brand new as well.

10-14-2019, 01:42 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Keh is my favorite camera/lens supplier, but you cannot trust their ratings! I buy stuff marked Ugly and they send me Excellent stuff without a mark on it.
Good one!

I bought a LN- 43mm ltd from them early in the summer and the lens looked like it had never been touched by human hands, so I'm not sure where the "minus" came from. it is immaculate and is a lovely lens, and I couldn't be happier with it or with KEH.
10-14-2019, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

only ever bought one item from KEH (a Sigma 1.4x teleconverter).

Condition was indicated as "excellent" and indeed, it came to me in very very good condition.

But truth be told, i am wary of getting items from KEH.
And one reason is, they do not use actual images of the actual item.

Another reason being, their ratings seem to be way haphazard (cuz i see a few cases when users shared that item listed as "Bargain" but yet they received an item that's in very good condition).

Other reason being, as i am not in USA, return of items could be a hassle.
10-14-2019, 06:09 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

I bought a F*300 a few months ago... It was rated Excellent. Physically it was. Optical or mechanically, something was screwy. I have had one for years here and love it dearly but my AF no longer worked, saw this one at KEH and decided to try it. The one I bought from KEH ,I could not get a sharp image no matter what I did , , no AF adjustments worked.. Sent it back. They were very professional and refunded as soon I returned it. Nothing bad I can say there about the Customer service. I don't think they tested that lens though...I think it was inspected for appearance and sent out. ..but thats just me guessing .

I've used them over the years with no issues and would again.

al

Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-14-2019 at 06:28 PM. Reason: studdered
10-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #23
Forum Member

I purchased a K-S1 body from KEH back in May, 2019, and I couldn't be more pleased. I think they rated the condition as "excellent" but the camera looked brand new when I got it. It had about 4000 clicks on the shutter, and has been working perfectly. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again in the future.
10-14-2019, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #24
Dan
Pentaxian

I've had to return about 50-60% of the lenses that I've purchased from KEH--all rated EX or better. I've experienced a wide range of issues, including decentering, faulty focus mechanisms, faulty aperture mechanisms (such as sticky blades), and problems with fungus. In my experience the proportion of faulty items hasn't really changed much through the years. It's always been a crap shoot. I keep buying from them because none of the alternatives are any better, and they have never refused a return.

Dan
10-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #25
Pentaxian

My only experience with KEH was four years ago, when I got a “used like new” K-30 from them for something like $275. I’m guessing they had already heard about the aperture-control issue. That K-30 did eventually come down with the issue, but I still feel $275 is a real bargain for a camera with a shutter count that turned out to be 2!
10-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
. . .
What's Been Your Experience with KEH.com Lately?
Since keh.com changed their website in 2014, I no longer shop there. Searching is tedious now compared to the previous iteration of their site. But I do occasionally buy from kehoutlet on ebay and my recent experiences there have been a mixed bag.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nothing explicit, but they’e changed. I think it is the higher volume and the new warehouse, meaning less attention to detail.
I don't buy from them often enough to say I can see a trend, but based on the service and items I've received in the past year or two, I would agree it seems their staff is stretched too thin.

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Recently (last 3 months) careless--twice ordered Nikon PC 35mm f/2.8 lens with black knob and received w/ silver knob (pre AI).
Just today I shipped back a (Nikon !) lens because they sent me the wrong one. And my other recent purchase was a rated "excellent" filter which was in good shape but had smeared / greasy glass.

But those are exceptions. I've had enough good experiences in the past year to still give KEH the benefit of the doubt. And I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
10-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I got a great price on my KP from KEH a couple months ago. Rated excellent plus, I couldn't find a mark on it, and only 790 shutter actuations!
10-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update...

3 days since messaged KEH about my problems. So far no response at all.
10-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #29
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Update...

3 days since messaged KEH about my problems. So far no response at all.
Perhaps, over the weekend? I hope that they at least respond! This thread makes me very hesitant to shop there.
10-16-2019, 05:47 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Perhaps, over the weekend? I hope that they at least respond! This thread makes me very hesitant to shop there.
This is definitely not encouraging as far as buying from KEH again. At this point I have acquired most, if not all of the lenses and photographic equipment that I could want. My purchases have become few and fewer over the last three years. This makes it more likely that I would save up and buy new any future wants such as a wide angle zoom and get it from Adorama or B&H. KEH may be a good choice for vintage equipment but for modern equipment, I would just spring for new.