Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
so I tend to research and read reviews and look at ratingsbut how trustworthy are they?
Before I invested in my K-3 as my first DSLR I certainly looked for reviews online but I was fairly certain it would be a Pentax beforehand, because I already owned some K mount lenses.
Fortunately for me (not so much for my wallet ) I even found a store which sold a K-3 at that time and after holding it in my hands the desicion was made (although I originally focused on the K30).

When buying lenses, reviews (mainly those from PF) are more important for my decision making. User-reviews and indepth-reviews alike, although I usually don't rely on the number values (for sharpness and the like) so much and concentrate more on the text and possible added pictures. The number values especially in user-reviews are in my opinion not that reliable, because everyone is on a different experience level not just how good their pictures are but also dependent on the number of lenses they own for comparison.

I see that in my own reviews, thereby that I every now and then adjust the number values according to my new findings with a recently acquired lens. The texts usually stay unchanged.

Last edited by othar; 10-14-2019 at 09:58 AM.
10-14-2019, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Worth a read:-

Lens Tests

Philip
10-14-2019, 10:14 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are different types of reviews and different intents when viewing them. Here are a few notes regarding my personal habits...
  • For feature lists, the manufacturer's Web site is as good as any. After all, that is what the reviewers use.
  • For objective technical review, my preference has been to use the Imaging Resource Web site. With their impending demise, I will have to look elsewhere.
  • I lend zero credence to YouTube reviews
  • I find the DPReview's actual camera reviews tedious, though their lens reviews may be helpful
  • I take the various Internet experts according to their areas of competence and if their competence is questioned by their statements, I simply quit reading. Like me, they have the right to step outside their areas of strength.
  • Amazingly, I also consult Consumer Reports. Their field reports are often quite good.
  • Google is our friend...of sorts...
Leaving the best for last are the resources on this site. The detailed reviews are usually thorough with an eye towards objectivity and suitably restrained subjectivity as is appropriate. Just as valuable are the scattering of member comments regarding how they use their gear, their triumphs, and also their frustrations. I try to ignore opinions that are off-topic and/or not based on actual use. As for the review section...those reviews are what they are and should be taken as such, taking care to avoid single post reviews and those with no substance. I have posted reviews for most of the gear that I use and actively update those reviews as needed, so obviously, I feel they are of value.

Added: In reference to PF member reviews, my pet peeves (other than those mentioned above) are rating low for not being AF, not being a Zoom, and not having "A" contacts on the mount. If one buys a lens that obviously lacks one of those features and doing so causes inconvenience, it is hardly a matter to influence the rating or even a "con" entry.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-14-2019 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Precision and completeness
10-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
the worst is the " I just purchased this lens yesterday and I give it a 10"
Hey I did a review like that (I took it out 3 times for an initial run through) with my 400/2.8 lens but then I looked at specific things that hadn't been covered by others who had reviewed it. It was clear that the lens would be a reasonable performer for astrophotography from previous reviews but would suck in a bunch more light. After the first 3 sessions it was clear it was a very good lens for that and wrote my review but then I went out and put it through its paces specifically to test things and went back and added an addendum with additional detailed information on how it performed after the deep dive.

10-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I spent a few months researching before I bought the K-70 and the 55-300 PLM. It was a matter of finding a pattern, good or bad, in the reviews/info and a preponderance of similar opinion. Whey I had not stumbled upon this forum I do not know but now I give "weight" to the reviews. My Rokinon 16mm was a result of positive comments here and replacing the 18-55 kit lens short list owes much to the forum's reviews and discussion.
10-14-2019, 10:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I really like OpticalLimits for Lens reviews.

Welcome to OpticalLimits!
10-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's hard to add to the wisdom already listed. I would echo the comment above about a new user giving a thing a 10 just after getting it in their hands, these are useless. For a long time ImageResourse (IR) was my go to place (outside of PentaxForums of course). I just found their reviews very helpful. For me buying camera gear, I have to have multiple reviews from multiple sources. I apply the same to online retailers like Amazon or ebay (I'll add B&H, KEH, Adorama, etc.). Specifically for online retailers, I'll usually read the good reviews (like 5 stars or similar) and the really bad reviews.

All in all, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and buy the darned thing, I've been skunked a few times, let down a few more times, but mostly found most reviews are reasonably useful information. Caveat emptor, I believe...

Edit: Yes, renting equipment (especially expensive ones), is a very good way to go.

10-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I trust a review that goes into the negatives. Then I decide whether they matter in the context of my own photography.
10-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I look into reviews and trust the general trend. I also give much more weight to user review than editorial reviews. Other than that, all reviews will tend to overemphasize details or differences that aren't so important or visible ini real life. So, I take any review telling that something is crap or godlike with a grain of salt... The thing is rarely as bad or good as they say.
10-14-2019, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I like the reviews here in this forum but I don't pay a lot of attention to the numbers. I do pay attention to the users experiences, so the ones that post nothing but numbers tend to be skipped over.

I also like to read threads about the lenses and cameras I'm researching, again starting here in this forum, but also on other languages including Pentaxeros (knowing several languages is an advantage). Finally, I do look at resources like opticallimits.com (formerly Photozone), pcmag and ephotozine (though their older tests are very sloppily done and some of their tests are complete write-offs).

Finally, a search on the web (starting with flickr) on the lens, camera or lens/camera combination I'm looking into. This is usually pretty straight forward and I do it when I have some downtime, but sometimes I can do some heavier research, like on the day I compared spent time comparing pictures from the Sigma 17-50, Tamron 17-50, Pentax 16-45 and Sigma 17-70 contemporary. I spent at least an hour I think, going back and forth, analyzingg landscapes, portraits, street scenes, black and white pictures, and pictures in darker scenarios. I spent quite a while on this and kept notes and my own ranking for each of these categories. I wasn't pixel peeping but I did use a larger monitor and expanded even further, but not to pixel level (I want to always keep a context). You have to look at hundreds of pictures to start to get an idea of what is the lens and what is the post processing... My conclusion on that day was that the Sigma is the superior lens in, with the ability to give me the most pleasing images, with the Tamron about the same level, and superior in some aspects (like portraits and street). The DA 16-45 wasn't that far behind but generally the colors and rendering weren't quite as pleasing, which surprised me a bit. It could be that the majority of the pictures just happened to be taken with much older cameras - so for now I'm sticking with it but I might get the Sigma or Tamron at some point (hardly much between them, landscapes were pretty much were the Sigma really pulled ahead, or so it seemed). Finally, the Sigma 17-70 C is able to give good pictures but it was pretty clear from the comparison that it is not at the same level of the others. The others, even in images that are less post processed, have a more "pro" look about them and the 17-70 has more of a very good kit lens kind of look to the pictures, even though it is a very sharp lens and in the right hands could easily bring out a "pro" look with the post processing.

So these are the kinds of comparisons I make in my spare time... even if I'm not really in the market for something, but these things stay in the back of my mind for future use I guess That is how I jumped on a then unbeatable DA 16-45 deal a few years ago anyway, I already knew it matched my personal taste really well. And it has been exceeding my expectations in a lot of ways...

Short version of this post: reading users experiences and seeing pictures is worth much more than numbers people throw on the internet.
10-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I take online reviews with a large dose of salt. That said, I choose Pentax as my first digital camera from online reviews. Now, after a few years of in hand use and real world in hand comparisons with other manufacturers I'm glad I chose Pentax.
10-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I trust reviews of different models within the same brand more than I trust comparisons between brands. Reviewers tend to be biased towards their normal brand - I picked Pentax because it works for me, so of course I know less about unique features that might be offered by other brands.

The text of a review can be as important as the measurements. Why did the reviewer like or dislike a camera's controls and menus? The Ricoh GR is an example of a camera that was unremarkable if I went by statistics like frames per second and maximum ISO. After using it for a few days, though, and configuring TAv and snap focus to my liking, it's a near perfect camera for street photography.
  • Pentax Forums is the best source when comparing Pentax models. Have you ever heard of them?
  • dpreview.com used to be a good resource when they did more reviews. Now they are more of a blogging site, similar to petapixel. Part of that change is due to new ownership, part is due to a changed camera industry (due to smartphone pressure). Websites focused on making a profit need new content every day to attract advertising dollars.
  • LensTip.com - lens review, lenses reviews, lens specification - LensTip.com is my favorite lens review site. They routinely test lenses for coma distortion which is important to me as a night photographer. They are slow to review new Pentax lenses, though.
10-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
. . . ..Edit: Yes, renting equipment (especially expensive ones), is a very good way to go.
speaking of renting

got an email from LensRental discount on rentals arriving by Oct 25 - PentaxForums.com

[ I have no relationship with LensRental outside of being a satisfied customer ]
10-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I thoroughly read reviews, looking for facts and biases. I keep the facts and toss the biases.
10-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I find reviews on brand specific forums not very useful, people are too biased in their opionions and generally have no first hand comparison with other brands products.

I try to find long term reviews of products actually being used and not just reviews of studio shots.

I also look at images on Flickr from an item I'm looking at getting, this can be a little misleading though with all the post processing that can go into a picture. I do mostly all wildlife shooting and find most wildlife photographers don't go crazy with post processing, not like landscape or astro photos that are heavily processed in photoshop with layers and stacking.

I also look at what professional wildlife photographers are using, if it can handle the conditions they are working in to make a living then it will work for me as a hobbyist.