Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2019, 11:41 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Right. The post processing technique is rarely shared between professional photographers. I did not see theirs "hand held" statement either.
The membership of these forums spans all skill levels, though... from absolute beginners to seasoned professionals. I'd go so far as to say that's one of the nicest things about our community - the variety of membership. I'm sure there must be other forums dedicated to professional photographers, and it may be that they share different information about their photos, or don't share any at all. Maybe that's a pro thing; I really wouldn't know or care. But we're a pretty relaxed community here. It's all good

10-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Right. The post processing technique is rarely shared between professional photographers. I did not see theirs "hand held" statement either.

---------- Post added 15-10-19 at 11:38 ----------

thank you...it is not about confession of what you have done...:-)
" confession is good for the soul "

[ since part of the rational for this thread is to build post counts ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-15-2019 at 11:55 AM.
10-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Handheld and other illusions count as negative factor for me when evaluating a photo. Tripod on the other hand means business - some thought was given to the process and composition.
10-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Handheld and other illusions count as negative factor for me when evaluating a photo. Tripod on the other hand means business - some thought was given to the process and composition.
hmm,

' very interesting "

the choice of deliberately not using a tripod means no thought was given to the process and composition in situations where a tripod might be the common choice ?

10-15-2019, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don't want to know, ignore it.
10-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Yes. I am stubborn and have strict principles. If I want to shoot "handheld" I use my P20 Pro and the "photographs" serve as documents only. If I take photographs with P20 Pro I always use it on tripod.

Handheld shooting has spawned weird IQ wrecking solutions such as IBIS which only adds complexity to the system. Real RGB sensor would achieve pixel-shift IQ without IBIS but now such real technical advancements have gone hiding under a rock somewhere.

Ultimately, the only purpose of digital camera is maximum technical quality in the easiest possible manner. A tripod helps everyone to reach this goal.
10-15-2019, 12:16 PM - 3 Likes   #37
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Ultimately, the only purpose of digital camera is maximum technical quality in the easiest possible manner. A tripod helps everyone to reach this goal.
With respect, Matti, those are very personal and subjective views... no doubt valid for you, but not for everyone. I can't speak for our other members, but I have a variety of reasons and goals for shooting the different cameras and lenses I own, and a variety of reasons for how I choose to shoot them on any given occasion (including whether I use a tripod or shoot hand-held). Just as you do, of course. But our reasons and goals probably aren't the same...

10-15-2019, 12:18 PM - 5 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Darn, I've been doing this photography thing all wrong. I thought it was about capturing some aspect of the world that's interesting and meaningful to the photographer, that he or she hopes might be interesting and meaningful to others too.
10-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #39
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . . A tripod helps everyone to reach this goal.
assuming you own one

or want to carry it around

kinda like a commercial I recall

10-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I never considered these type statements, as trying to make the photographer look better - as its just information are they now?
10-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I appreciate when someone includes information about their workflow when presenting a photo. I think having a sense of context and process is helpful in understanding how a photo was captured/created, and maybe even the "why" of what drew them to that particular image. But something as vague as "handheld" or "no tripod" without any other references to workflow, isn't very useful for me. It's a "so what" statement. There is no real value to that type of comment.
10-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One other factor - contibutors to photography magazines will usually find that information about hand-held vs tripod are often requested - because the magazines are about teaching technique amongst other things - so that sort of information becomes a norm in some reader's minds, a part of what it is to preent a picture in some contexts.

Personally, I think hand-held might be bragging, it might be considered useful information by the poster - I've never thought SOOC is anything to brag about, but in a barnd related forum like this it might be of interest to those considering buying the model in question. There are many reasons to include or not include the information, some good, otheres less so, so unless we have insights into the motivation of te poster, it's usually best to live and let live, IMHO
10-15-2019, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The membership of these forums spans all skill levels, though... from absolute beginners to seasoned professionals. I'd go so far as to say that's one of the nicest things about our community - the variety of membership. I'm sure there must be other forums dedicated to professional photographers, and it may be that they share different information about their photos, or don't share any at all. Maybe that's a pro thing; I really wouldn't know or care. But we're a pretty relaxed community here. It's all good
Yes, you are correct. All good stuff is here and was possible due to such relaxed atmosphere and open minds that have being shared their experience with each other.

---------- Post added 15-10-19 at 12:44 ----------

Ultimately, the only purpose of digital camera is maximum technical quality in the easiest possible manner.
I would continue....for getting more money from selling this cameras...
10-15-2019, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve mentioned that something was taken handheld before As a disclaimer, an apology for something that could have been better because a tripod should have been used.
10-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Are we ready for some summary and with a conclusion or should we still continue spamming? :-)