Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2019, 07:58 AM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
create a painting then
I submitted a photo for a critique here once
it was a photo of a cheetah and cub feeding on a kill
a complaint was made that I didn't use pp to remove a stalk of grass from the posted photo
why?
the " offending " stalk crossed the face of the cub, but did not obscure it
it was real
why complain about reality ?
You submitted a photo for critique, then complained when you got critiqued??? It's reasonable to mention removal of a distracting piece of grass.

I'm not saying you were wrong to decide to leave the stalk in your photo, but it's also not wrong to remove it (unless using the photo in a context that doesn't allow such editing).

10-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #92
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
You submitted a photo for critique, then complained when you got critiqued??? It's reasonable to mention removal of a distracting piece of grass.

I'm not saying you were wrong to decide to leave the stalk in your photo, but it's also not wrong to remove it (unless using the photo in a context that doesn't allow such editing).
the critiquing post indicated, if I recall correctly, that I SHOULD HAVE removed it

that is what I didn't like
10-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It adds value if it matters to the viewer. If you shoot at 50mm at 1/8000 there is no question that it can be done. It wouldn't matter to anyone. If it's shot at 1/4 with motion blur because of action it also doesn't really tell anything not known already. If you shoot a static scene at 1/10 with and without ibis it answers if ibis helped, and if blurr is caused by ibis on a tripod. If it was sharp it tells me I can achieve that if my technique is as good. Etc.
In other words the value is in how much it helps someone read between the lines.
10-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
What do you mean by "value"? Are you talking about making the photo better, or adding value to our discussion of the photo?

I don't think information about technique makes a photo any better to a viewer or purchaser. Here on PF, though, many of us don't just share photos to harvest likes, and I appreciate details about how a photo was taken. That's also why knowing the camera and lens is helpful, but a good photo is good regardless of equipment and methods.

In the astrophotography niche, fellow astrophotographers frequently discuss equipment, how many images were stacked, and what software features were used for processing so we can learn from each other.
I guess you answered the question you asked.:-)

11-01-2019, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Hi Guys,
Do the statements like "handheld", or "no tripod" , or " not edited/postprocessed", etc really add value to a photo?

They bring no value at all. Editing, post-processing is a tool, as is the camera or lens.
11-02-2019, 07:49 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
They bring no value at all. Editing, post-processing is a tool, as is the camera or lens.
That is the best comment as up to me!
11-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Yes it does, especially no PP say a lens has low contrast and poor color rendition if some did post on it it would be harder to tell the lens isn't as good.

11-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While perusing my favorite periodicals at the library today, I noticed that Outdoor Photographer credits everything down to the socks the photographer was wearing. : -)
11-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #99
Pentaxian

Hi Guys,
Do the statements like "handheld", or "no tripod" , or " not edited/postprocessed", etc really add value to a photo?

As up to me, they are not.
Thanks
P.S. That is another chance for you all to increase your posts count. :-)
The final judgement is image IQ.
But, ease of use is also a thing.
There's the images you get, and the images you could have taken.

IBIS lets you shoot at lower shutter speeds and increased ISO, which means - less noise and better images.
No tripod means you are shooting your images at a quicker rate. Which means more images to choose from and often better images.

Not edited is an excuse for laziness or lack of ability in post processing. For certain types of images, you simply can't match a post processed image out of camera. Image quality will suffer. For snap shots or images that don't stress the dynamic range of the camera, it will be hard to match the SOC image without an effort. It's pretty much value neutral. You can do better with some shots, not as good with others. But you can make post processing valuable with experience.
11-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Guys,

As up to me, they are not.
Thanks
P.S. That is another chance for you all to increase your posts count. :-)
It is just information about the picture and and how it was taken. Why, sometimes people even tell you what camera and lens was used.