Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does that really add more value?

Hi Guys,
Do the statements like "handheld", or "no tripod" , or " not edited/postprocessed", etc really add value to a photo?

As up to me, they are not.
Thanks
P.S. That is another chance for you all to increase your posts count. :-)

10-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

When they say hand held, at least it gives you an idea of how far you can push IBIS and/or lens stabilization, depending on the camera system. Sometimes one can't carry or isn't allowed to take a tripod into a certain area. The rest doesn't matter to me. P
10-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think in many cases those statements are used when you are trying to show what the camera/lens is capable of.
10-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess if you choose not to take advantage of perks like tripods, or not letting the camera dictate your image, it's completely up to you. But people buy pictures on what they see, not the suffering that went into their creation.

10-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Really, the only thing that I could possibly care about is the no processing of SOOC JPEG if I would want to use the JPEG engine of my camera. The rest makes no difference to me

no tripods were harmed used in this picture; a lump of driftwood, however, served as a platform)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
10-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robin Quote
I guess if you choose not to take advantage of perks like tripods, or not letting the camera dictate your image, it's completely up to you. But people buy pictures on what they see, not the suffering that went into their creation.
Fully agree with you.

---------- Post added 15-10-19 at 09:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I think in many cases those statements are used when you are trying to show what the camera/lens is capable of.
We all are different with different abilities to hold the camera steady. So, what is able to be done by one person is not applicable to the other. That is why "hand held" statement does not represent the camera capabilities, in my opinion.
10-15-2019, 09:32 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

It adds value, but only for a niche of the total viewing audience. Specifically it's a statement of pride of process intended for the
benefit of fellow photographers. It's the same as a museum placard that tells you a painting is an oil or acrylic; ultimately that
fact doesn't make the painting worthy of hanging in the museum but other artists appreciate knowing the material and thus
seeing what can be done with that material.

10-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
It adds value, but only for a niche of the total viewing audience. Specifically it's a statement of pride of process intended for the
benefit of fellow photographers. It's the same as a museum placard that tells you a painting is an oil or acrylic; ultimately that
fact doesn't make the painting worthy of hanging in the museum but other artists appreciate knowing the material and thus
seeing what can be done with that material.
Thank you. I beleive you are covering the "hand held" question. See my answer above to sergysergy. I think that does not work even for the niche.

---------- Post added 15-10-19 at 09:38 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Really, the only thing that I could possibly care about is the no processing of SOOC JPEG if I would want to use the JPEG engine of my camera. The rest makes no difference to me

no tripods were harmed used in this picture; a lump of driftwood, however, served as a platform)
the picture is not sharp...I would be more interested to hear , in this case, if you used the 2 s delay or not. That would cover a technical aspect of the process.
10-15-2019, 09:43 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On some photos, those comments are added to explain why there might be technical imperfections, sort of a photographer's "mea culpa".

Other times, it is a form of bragging about the "purity" of the shot or, perhaps, the laziness of the shooter.

Steve
10-15-2019, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Other times, it is a form of bragging about the "purity" of the shot
Yes I often hear of folk that wont clone out an imperfection, or claim that only the colour of the camera's jpeg is the "one and true" record of what they are recording.

I don't argue anymore
10-15-2019, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I use "hand-held" it's to explain deficiencies in the photo that pixel peepers would be ready to castigate me for.
10-15-2019, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Thank you. I beleive you are covering the "hand held" question. See my answer above to sergysergy. I think that does not work even for the niche.
Technique is also a valuable piece of information. Does knowing a cup has been 'woodfired' make any difference in how it holds water?
No, but other potters appreciate knowing that >look< was achieved via a wood kiln.

Handheld not only illustrates the camera's capability, it also illustrates the photographer's, as there are certainly many cameras and/or
photographers who might not be able to capture an acceptable low light shot.
10-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Technique is also a valuable piece of information. Does knowing a cup has been 'woodfired' make any difference in how it holds water?
No, but other potters appreciate knowing that >look< was achieved via a wood kiln.

Handheld not only illustrates the camera's capability, it also illustrates the photographer's, as there are certainly many cameras and/or
photographers who might not be able to capture an acceptable low light shot.
Right! Let's make them jealous. Let's show them how great I am in taking a shot hand held. :-)

---------- Post added 15-10-19 at 10:08 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
When I use "hand-held" it's to explain deficiencies in the photo that pixel peepers would be ready to castigate me for.
Another words, you see the picture imperfections and still post it.
10-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does not and value, but it tells technique and if photographer was lazy to bring tripod when it was needed. It is interesting info never the less, for fellow photographes atleast. Dunno if average photo consumer would actually know other than his/her phone could do almost the same
10-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I routinely clone people out of shots to get the look I want. And of course - tripod is essential for pixel shift shots.