Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

So is FLickr the place or somewhere else these days?

I had a pretty extensive Pbase site, and it was OK. But the yearly payments seemed to be coming around every month... And Pbase seems pretty dated now.

Is Flickr where the action is for most these days? Or somewhere else? And is the free flickr account enough or do you have to pay to make it work? Thanks!

10-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Flickr is pretty decent since the monthly payment is fairly low for what you get - basically unlimited storage (it's unlikely you're going to use an entire terabyte of storage unless you're reeeeeeeally busy for a long period of time). The only problem with Flickr is that the moderation kind of went down the toilet when Yahoo originally bought it, but the bad stuff is easy enough to avoid.

The free account may suit your needs if you're only planning on uploading some photos, since there's a limit of 1,000 for free accounts. (Although I have a free account with over 20,000 photos on it because I somehow got added as a pro despite the fact I got rid of my pro status a long time ago. Weird.)
10-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 for Flickr
10-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Haven't tried flikr. I hate Instagram with a passion and use 500px

10-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flickr is the standard afaic.
10-16-2019, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Is Flickr where the action is for most these days?
I dunno...what is your definition of "action"? If you mean potential to promote work, the presentation interface is decent, performance is snappy, and promotion by image or URL is straightforward. Being I am somewhat over the 1000 limit for free, I have a "pro" account and feel that it is decent value. At some point I will likely setup my own gallery/sales site and use Flickr to funnel traffic there.

Steve
10-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm one for Flickr as well.

10-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Flickr is great, shows embedded EXIF. Also offers fullscreen-mode as well as navigation with arrow-keys.
10-16-2019, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Flickr is also convenient for obtaining BBCode to post your pics!
10-16-2019, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I'm a Flickr user. I use it mostly for the photo hosting not for the social/comment aspect. It gives me a convenient place to store photos, link them to PF threads as needed, and show them from my phone or any PC I'm at.
10-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like Flickr, I have the pro account, I was concerned that smugmug might ruin it when they bought it, they did raise prices but did not screw up the interface. In fact, they actually just increased the maximum display size.
10-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm actually please to see the thumbs going up for Flickr - it felt like it was going through a rocky patch just after I joined (2011), and you alays wonder if the legendary action is actually elsewhere while you hang on in a backater because you can't face another change. hat surprises me is that sites like Ipernity are still going - there was a small haemorrhage to it when people were annoyed at Flickr, but I don't see people flooding tat wat now, and many of the accounts of people ho set up a second one there are near moribund - but maybe it's popular in sectors where I don't move.
10-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with Flickr too.
Wow I thought I was being backwards staying with Flickr but I see I'm not alone!
I think there have been some improvements in reliability too - "Bad Panda" pages seem rarer these days.
10-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While Flickr is probably not the worst site you could choose for exposure (is that what you mean by "action"?), I would also recommend looking at SmugMug itself if the priority is presenting your photos to their best effect. The image display quality is second to none IMO, which easily justifies the expenses for the Power account ($72/yr), given my personal priorities. Whether a Portfolio account ($180/yr) with more advanced sales options would make sense in your case only you can decide.
10-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

recently I got this email from Flickr.com

QuoteQuote:
We’re tripling our maximum display size for Flickr Pros up to 6K so you can show your photos off in all their pixel perfect glory. The maximum display size of photos is increasing from 2048px on the longest side to 6144px (6K). Now you’ll be able to show off every single detail perfectly on all the latest monitors and displays.

The new display size will be available to all Flickr Pro subscribers next week.

What photos are affected

All new and previously uploaded photos from Flickr Pros with an original size larger than 6K will automatically be displayed in the largest size possible on Flickr, or the largest size set in your preferences. Smaller photos will be displayed in the largest size possible for the original media. The maximum display size for free members is unchanged at 2K.

Settings and controls

We love big, beautiful photos on Flickr and hope you’ll always choose to share them at the largest size we support — but of course, your specified preferences will always be respected: you can set the maximum display size in your account, as well as control who can download photos.
This is also a great time to remind you of our partnership with Pixsy, a monitoring service that can identify where photos are being used online, and give you tools to enforce your copyrights. Flickr Pros get 1,000 monitored images and 10 takedown notices free.
We’re all working to make Flickr better
We have been busy! In case you missed it, here are some of the other fixes and new features we’ve launched recently:
• Support for displaying previously uploaded photos at our maximum display sizes (was 2K, now 6K, with this release)
• Support for 10 minute videos for Pros
• Flickr Prints
• Camera Roll is back!

The Flickr Team