Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2019, 04:17 PM   #16
Pentaxian

You've heard of a Bag Lady..., I'm the Bag Man.. how many?, Lost count...

10-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Let's see, now....Mindshift 30L, Kata 30L, 2 different Think Tank bags, messenger style, a Gura Gear messenger style bag, an older LowePro Orion Aw, a huge older Tamrac from film days, a small LowePro "runner" bag, and several more.

Half of these I either got used or on deeeeep discount. Right now I'm mostly using the Mindshift, excellent bag for the money, and the Gura Gear, which has really surprised me... That was one of the deep discount bags from B&H's daily discount. What both of these bags have in common is light weight of the bag itself---because I'm packing some heavy gear, and then having to fly with it, the bags themselves being lighter can be a big deal. On a spring trip to Hong Kong and Chengdu, I packed the Gura Gear in my luggage empty, and used the Mindshift packed to the gills as carry-on (including my laptop and Kindle Fire). Once on the ground I could use the smaller Gura Gear for just what I needed that day. Worked out well.

Some of these bags used to be old faithfuls and I just haven't gotten rid of them, like the Kata. Some I use for miscellaneous storage of stuff in my photo area.

The Think Tank's I keep as stealth bags, but I have soured on them a bit, and view them as overpriced now. Also, they were large messenger style bags that I use to use for my work bags as well, but messenger bags loaded up started to get to my back a bit.
10-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you checked out the Billingham range of bags?

Billingham Bags - Camera, Laptop & Travel Bags - Made in England
10-16-2019, 05:16 PM   #19
Forum Member

I only need two. One to carry the load for travel and a day bag. The day bag I take out for shooting the other is simply to get the most gear to where I am going on my back. My day bag is two to three lenses in size.

10-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I am with a peakdesign 5L right now.
I already abandoned the idea of looking for "that single perfect backpack " long ago. There is no such thing as the perfect bag. It’s more of my tolerating to one over the other.
And I am not planning for shoot in a war zone, but a lot of rainy day shooting. So the requirement goes down to, it must be a weather-sealed bag. Even a plastic bag does the job sometimes!
10-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have about 6 now, but my wife took the best one. Now I'm looking to replace it.
10-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I have two perfect bags. Main one is the domke 803, small messenger style, great for travel, events, photowalks, etc. Nice, low key aesthetic.
The other is an old style karachi outpost. Big enough for everything. Super comfy, rugged and versatile. I often take out the padded camera-specific insert and use it as a regular pack for travel or sound gigs. Wish they still made them like that.
Crumpler Karachi Outpost Backpack (Grey) KO-03A B&H Photo Video

Domke F-803 RuggedWear Messenger Bag (Brown) 701-83A B&H Photo

10-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
How true!
I don’t actively hunt. I just impulse buy or get a bag with the lens or camera I wanted out of the auction or estate sale. I have a 55 gal. Trash bag full of camera bags I have accumulated over the last twenty years. They range from knock-off and OEM Domke F2’s down to messenger bags; a Chinese knockoff backpack (that is really very good for APSc gear) and the usual assortment of TopLoader LowePro bags.

I use Domke tan canvas bags 90% of the time. Normally I have an AF540FGZ in one side pocket and a zoom in the other. I’ve never had even a hint of a problem with bag snatchers.
  • Domke F-3x or F-8 for KP with Limiteds.
  • Domke F-8 for K-1 with Limiteds
  • Domke F-6 with K-1 and the fat lenses + flash or KP and DA* zooms.
  • LowePro AW200 backpack when I have long, large or many lenses + tripod
  • LowePro SlingBag 200AW w/ APSc body and a few lenses (I don’t use that much any more)
I don’t carry non-camera gear in the camera bag. I often also carry one of the messenger bags for a light jacket, lunch or stuff. I don’t carry it over a shoulder. Now that I’ve sold the Q kit I travel with the KP and small lenses so carrying on isn’t a problem.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-16-2019 at 08:02 PM.
10-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like Lowe Pros for the most part, but the zipper always goes out well before the rest of the bag is worn. Especially if the zipper has to run around a corner.
I recently purchased a small Domke, that I slipped a padded insert that I bought for my Timbuk2 shoulder bag into. I've had it about 2-months now, daily carry with a body, 2 zooms and a small prime or two. End pockets take a water bottle & other paraphernalia. Seems to be working,

I agree with the sentiment that there is no perfect bag
10-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
my wife took the best one. Now I'm looking to replace it.
So Norm: Which one would that be?
10-16-2019, 10:29 PM   #26

I have a Lowepro SlingShot 100AW that's great for shorter hikes with limited gear. I also cross country ski with it. But, it's too small for travelling and longer hikes. So now I also have a Lowepro Flipside BP 350AW. It's almost perfect. The only downside is that it's difficult to fit a magazine or larger tablet. This should keep me happy for a while.
10-17-2019, 12:13 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

I geared my bags to the type of shooting planned for the day.

I have one that will handle two bodies and 5 lenses, (nothing long), and the other is more of a extra large fanny pack that is good for one body and a couple of lenses.

When traveling everything travels in a wheel bag. Works to a point but there is always the time when the lens you want is the one you left home.
10-17-2019, 12:54 AM   #28

I have a ThinkTank Airport, and I really like it.
I saw the Peter McKinnon video, great bag but expensive
10-17-2019, 02:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I've got three camera bags, all Crumpler, and one is just about perfect. Firstly I had a huge bag. It stores every bit of camera gear I own but is too large to take out realistically. So I bought a second smaller shoulder bag. But it's slightly too small if I want to take more than a couple of lenses on holiday for example. The I bought a backpack. Stores just the right amount of gear whilst not being too bulky and is comfy to carry. It's a bit more of a pain having to take the bag off my back each time I want to swap gear, etc, rather than just dipping my hand into a shoulder bag, but it's an acceptable trade off.
10-17-2019, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think my hunting phase is finally slowing down....

I have three backpacks:
Think Tank Airport Accelerator - too big really, just used for storage at home. Maybe it would get a gig if I went on a long landscape-heavy road trip.
Lowe Pro Flipside 400 AW - brilliant combination of size, comfort and functionality. Carried it with crop gear on an epic mountain hike in Alaska.
Peak Design Everyday Back pack 15" - elegant and versatile. It was great in Antarctica with K-1 and KP plus DFA15-30, 28-105, 150-450 and more.

Two messenger bags:
Domke Metro Messenger - great for carrying the K-1 and a few big lenses short distances.
Peak Design Everyday Messenger 13" - again, elegant and versatile. Fits my medium format kit perfectly, but currently used as my work briefcase

One traditional camera bag:
Lowe Pro Nova 4 AW - probably my most used walk-around option. It's been to the UK & Ireland with full frame gear, and Italy with crop gear, and just about everywhere else.

Two sling/waist packs:
Tamrac VeloCity 4x - great size, but clunky finish. It was very cheap, and it looks and feels that way
Peak Design Everyday Sling 5 - it only arrived today, but it's (you guessed it) elegant, and I look forward to getting out and about with it soon.

There are others....

Hello, my name is Sandy, and I'm a bagaholic.