Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2019, 03:50 AM   #31

I just bought a new local shoulder one that can pack 3 lenses and 2 bodies for work. My favorite for travelling though is the Lowepro Hatchback 250 AW II. It gives me peace of mind knowing it wont be easy to steal my stuff while walking around. Size is just fine.

10-17-2019, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Hello, my name is Sandy, and I'm a bagaholic.
I hear Billingham calling
10-17-2019, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
I hear Billingham calling
Don't start.
10-17-2019, 04:04 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Don't start.
I already have, with the Hadley Large, your move next

10-17-2019, 06:04 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
another 'trick' i've been using as of late for traveling is use a cheap camera sleeve i got from walmart for like $20. Its big enough to carry my K1 + 2-3 lenses like the 77mm, 31mm, and 100mm macro. It does have a water repellent jacket. has room for a charger and a few batteries. Its small and compact. I throw that into my day bag, which further has a rain jacket and room to carry my other gear if need be. This so far has worked wonders through my South East Asia trip.

Though this solution isn't perfect for when i'm doing portrait shoots across the city of Toronto and need more lenses, depending on the situation.
10-17-2019, 06:14 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
After I got a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW, I've never even considered getting another bag. I store/transport my gear in either of my two Pelican 1510's and then load up the Lowepro when I get on site. The "Flipside" aspect of it is one of the greatest features of any of my photo-related gear. I sound like an advertisement...
10-17-2019, 08:37 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to have my gear in a soft bag, until it fell out the back door of my van, and damaged my DA*16-50. So, I got a Vangard hardcase, and then another! Yes they are bulky, yes they are heavy and yes I've had to buy new foam twice as my collection ha expanded... But they are water proof, dust proof, secure, dry and tough.
I don't advocate them for a hike in the country, but for getting your camera safely from A to B and storing it securely they are unbeatable.

And if you find Vangaurd a bit cheap, Pelican does the same thing at a premium

10-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #38
Forum Member

I ended up buying, I think, five bags in search of the right ones for my needs. I've settled on a Tarion RS-01, which is a nice shoulder bag with space for camera plus lens and two extra lenses. It has lots of pockets for extra stuff and some that expand should you need them. That is my usual out-and-about camera bag. Then I have a Mindshift Backlight 18L, for when I want to carry a tripod and more gear when I head out hiking in search of landscape photos.

I'm still looking for a good solution for when I go cycling. I don't have a car, so get around mostly by bicycle. But I'm wary of putting the camera gear in a bag on the bike, for fear of things getting bounced around on the bumpy potholed roads around here. I'm sure there's a gap in the market for a bicycle pannier bag with built in suspension.
10-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
In light of Peter McKinnon's new camera bag, and his pursuit for 'the best' camera bag, I feel the exact same way.
Every camera bag out there always seems to miss out on one thing or another that prevents them from being perfect.
Too small? Too big? Can only carry Camera gear? Cant fit in flights? Too heavy? Not water resistant?
Oh man, I feel your pain. I am constantly looking at bags and I have a bunch of them in storage that I don't use.

A friend of mine has an amazing bag, The Union Street from Ona bags. It's $300 though, and is also no longer made.
10-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
Oh man, I feel your pain. I am constantly looking at bags and I have a bunch of them in storage that I don't use.

A friend of mine has an amazing bag, The Union Street from Ona bags. It's $300 though, and is also no longer made.
Yeah, I want to purchase the Lowepro Protactic 450 again, but in Canada its close to $450, plus tax...so that really does take a bite out of my budget.
I could repair the current one i have, as its handle is kind of losing some stitches, but i'm afraid it may just be a temporary solution
10-17-2019, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I want to purchase the Lowepro Protactic 450 again, but in Canada its close to $450, plus tax...so that really does take a bite out of my budget.
I could repair the current one i have, as its handle is kind of losing some stitches, but i'm afraid it may just be a temporary solution
Maybe find a seamster/seamstress who works on technical materials? That's a nice looking backpack. I'm a big person™ so it's hard for me to fit backpacks.
10-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #42
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
Maybe find a seamster/seamstress who works on technical materials? That's a nice looking backpack. I'm a big person™ so it's hard for me to fit backpacks.
I agree - take it to a couple of clothing alteration and repair shops to see if they'll do the work. Alternatively, some marine sailmakers might be prepared to help. My Giottos tripod bag was coming apart at one end, and the handle stitched had come out. My local clothing alteration shop did a fantastic job on it with the right size and colour (but better quality) of thread. It's arguably better than new now, and it's certainly stronger. You can tell it has been repaired, but only just. The work wasn't dirt cheap - I think I paid the equivalent of about USD $25 - but the alternative (buying a new tripod bag of similar quality) would have far more expensive...
10-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not constantly searching for camera bags but I do keep my eye open for deals here. For example I have a Lowepro 17L (for $17) and a 35L for about the same price.
10-18-2019, 05:47 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I agree - take it to a couple of clothing alteration and repair shops to see if they'll do the work. Alternatively, some marine sailmakers might be prepared to help.
Good suggestions and related options: upholsterers (including marine, auto, etc) and shoe repair shops have the heavy duty sewing equipment as well.
10-18-2019, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I agree - take it to a couple of clothing alteration and repair shops to see if they'll do the work. Alternatively, some marine sailmakers might be prepared to help. My Giottos tripod bag was coming apart at one end, and the handle stitched had come out. My local clothing alteration shop did a fantastic job on it with the right size and colour (but better quality) of thread. It's arguably better than new now, and it's certainly stronger. You can tell it has been repaired, but only just. The work wasn't dirt cheap - I think I paid the equivalent of about USD $25 - but the alternative (buying a new tripod bag of similar quality) would have far more expensive...
that is true.
I know of this shoe repair shop that does WONDERS on shoes. Not that its the same, but perhaps he can do wonders on the camera bag strap as well.

worth a shot. Even if its $50 bucks, it is still significantly better than buying a new bag