Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2019, 03:48 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, but to me that was not the point. What each of us was saying in his own words was that Pentax needs to not leave the K-mount behind, just as Asahi did not leave the M42-mount behind when it switched to the K-mount. Today I do own several Asahi-manufactured adapters and several M42-mount lenses. As long as I can use those lenses - and modern K-mount lenses - in their natural state, I will be satisfied with any system.
Ah, but my only, and I can't stress that enough, only reason for another mount would be to give some flexibility re depth of camera body and using other brands glass thereby helping people migrate the right way not that I want to change. My silver KP is way nicer than any mirrorless out there and my Pentax and M42 glass is all I can see me ever needing

10-27-2019, 05:01 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The hard part with regard to weight is that build quality differs greatly between these cameras. The Nikon D750 weighs 750 grams while the A7 II 600 grams. Pentax could make a lighter weight SLR, they just would have to choose to use less metal and the camera would feel flimsier as a result.

The A7 II really doesn't feel very sturdy. But as you say, it is small. I'm not sure what the answer is. As Sony builds cameras with stouter builds, they also get heavier too.
A lighter weight DSLR would be nice. I miss the low weight of my KX. Honestly if my K-1 was many grams lighter it would be used a lot more often, even if the perceived build quality was less. I shoot daily and the K-1 kit adds a lot of weight to my work bag.
10-27-2019, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Why not bring back the removable prism from the LX? On a modern day DSLR there can be an OVF or an EVF. You take the one of your choice when you buy the body, or both. In that way you can be mirrored or mirrorless, watever grabs your fancy or is best suited to the task at hand.

With the OVF mounted, the LXd works like a normal DSLR. Swap in the EVF, live view activates and the mirror flips up automagically. QED.
10-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Why not bring back the removable prism from the LX? On a modern day DSLR there can be an OVF or an EVF. You take the one of your choice when you buy the body, or both. In that way you can be mirrored or mirrorless, watever grabs your fancy or is best suited to the task at hand.

With the OVF mounted, the LXd works like a normal DSLR. Swap in the EVF, live view activates and the mirror flips up automagically. QED.
Excellent!

Removable finders would also let them offer versions with or without a pop-up flash for those who love (or hate) that feature.

They might even offer waist-level finder, rangefinder, and no-finder variants.

And if they invent a hybrid viewfinder (which might be a fairly expensive bit of kit), that can be an optional add-on rather than something that makes the body really expensive.

10-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Excellent!

Removable finders would also let them offer versions with or without a pop-up flash for those who love (or hate) that feature.

They might even offer waist-level finder, rangefinder, and no-finder variants.

And if they invent a hybrid viewfinder (which might be a fairly expensive bit of kit), that can be an optional add-on rather than something that makes the body really expensive.
Thanks. I can only wonder why this hasn't happened yet. Back in the previous century, removable viewfinders were standard on top end pro SLRs like the Pentax LX, Nikon F3 and Canon F1. Even my lowly Samsung NX100 has the ability to accept a plug-in EVF. I don't have one, but still...
10-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Mirrorless is a tough game for Pentax. Not sure what the point is if you keep the k mount like the K-01 did. Not really that much size savings over a small SLR like the K-S1. Lose the K mount and you dig yourself into even more trouble since suddenly you have to generate a full line up of lenses for that new mount. Adapters are a stop gap at best and with the number of screw drive lenses out there, odds are that most adapters would not allow for a keeping of decent auto focus with those lenses.

Finally, Pentax just isn't a tech company. High end video and EVFs haven't been their thing and the idea that they could churn out a MILC that would match out with the best that Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Fuji and Sony (wow that's a crowded field!) is unlikely. That's why they are likely sticking with SLR design for now and reserving MILC design for cameras like the GR III.
I bought my K-01 to complement my other Pentax DSLR and film SLR cameras ; it is part of my system , and I like it very much , still using it regularly 5 years on . It initially was my backup body to my K-3 , bought at the same time back in 2014 , but it fills a different role being a small and unobtrusive camera which I can use without attracting attention in some places where a DSLR would stand out .

I like that I can use any of my existing collection of lenses on it , that it uses the same battery as my K-1 and K-3 , that my flashes work on it .... and that it is a fabulous and compact package combined with my DA Limited lenses .

If Pentax were going to make another mirrorless , they could do worse than use the K-01 as a starting point , keep all the above good points ; add a FF sensor , add an articulating rear screen , add an optional EVF , and put front and rear control wheels , like on the DSLRs , so that I don't need to toggle one dial between different functions . If all that could be done without it being (much) bigger than the K-01 , they'd have a winner .
10-28-2019, 02:17 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I can only wonder why this hasn't happened yet. Back in the previous century, removable viewfinders were standard on top end pro SLRs like the Pentax LX, Nikon F3 and Canon F1.
I own a couple Nikon F3HP and have both the high point finder as well as the waist level and 90 degree finders. IMO, a 90 degree tilting EVF is just as effective as most of the alternative pentaprism finders.

With a removable pentaprism, weather sealing is compromised, not to mention the complexity of designing a flash unit or hot shoe on a removable pentaprism. With wifi or GPS or other electronics now used in DSLRs, I would think the contact connector points would also be problematic.

In this regard, my vote goes to wireless tethering to a mobile device....or the LCD EVF having more range in swivel and tilting articulation.
10-28-2019, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I own a couple Nikon F3HP and have both the high point finder as well as the waist level and 90 degree finders. IMO, a 90 degree tilting EVF is just as effective as most of the alternative pentaprism finders.
Having an LX with several viewfinders, not to mention a couple of Pentax refconverters, I could only agree with this.

With a removable pentaprism, weather sealing is compromised, not to mention the complexity of designing a flash unit or hot shoe on a removable pentaprism. With wifi or GPS or other electronics now used in DSLRs, I would think the contact connector points would also be problematic.
Two of the LX viewfinders had hotshoes, so that aspect, at least, has been successfully dealt with the past. The LX viewfinders were a model of clean and straightforward design. The sliding removal system also leans itself toward effective weather-sealing, which makes me wonder why the LX didnít have it. Extending the number of contact pins on an LX-style finder, or multiplexing several, should also prove no great technical challenge.

In this regard, my vote goes to wireless tethering to a mobile device....or the LCD EVF having more range in swivel and tilting articulation.
I couldnít argue with that, either, having used a smartphone and a tablet with both the K-3 and the K-1.

Having a modular body could also add other options, including leaving the LCD behind, for example, in addition to the interchangeable finders and flash unit. You could go the whole hog with LCD screen, OVF with flash (and battery grip) for greatest flexibility and weight, or the stripped-down no-LCD, EVF body for lightness. The removable articulated LCD could pose a significant challenge, though: perhaps one too many.

10-28-2019, 06:44 AM   #69

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The removable articulated LCD could pose a significant challenge, though: perhaps one too many.
Ricoh actually went the other way once, with interchangeable mounts/sensors with the Ricoh GXR. I don't want to say that this is great in a business sense, but modular stuff has been done. Hopefully it will be done again, but in a more thought out way, in both use case and business wise.

Ricoh GXR - Wikipedia
10-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TLiivo Quote
Ricoh actually went the other way once, with interchangeable mounts/sensors with the Ricoh GXR. I don't want to say that this is great in a business sense, but modular stuff has been done. Hopefully it will be done again, but in a more thought out way, in both use case and business wise.

Ricoh GXR - Wikipedia
Yes, I was thinking in part about the GXR when I mentioned a modular camera. The promise of the GXR was never quite fulfilled, in that the replaceable sensor module didnít result in upgrades, either to another format or a later sensor, at least as far as Iím aware. Thankfully, it didnít wear a Pentax badge, as, like the K-01, it proved to be a dead-end, and two such experiments under the one banner may be applauded for their bravery, but probably equally derided for their foolishness (in hindsight, of course).