Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2019, 01:00 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take your batteries out!

I got my lighting equipment out of storage last night after putting it away for a year. I have a potential headshot session coming up and needed to check the gear out. I discovered much to my horror that I had foolishly left batteries in all my equipment, and the batteries had exploded inside the speedlights and one of their triggers. Two Yongnuo lights down the tubes: they won't power on, even with fresh batteries. Fortunately they are cheapish and I can replace them without too much pain.

Extra fortunately, the batteries inside my Godox Witstro controller didn't explode -- dodged a bullet, there, that would have hurt.

10-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yikes! That is a bad deal. What kind of batteries do you use? I do use some cheap batteries for my wireless shutter release, and I take those out every time I'm done using them. However, when it comes to my external flashes, I only use Eneloop batteries. They're very expensive, but they're very good. The last wedding I shot as a 2nd shooter - the primary photographer who brought about 16 batteries was terrified that none of them were any good. She used my spare set of Eneloop (which totally saved the day!) and went out & bought a few sets of her own shortly thereafter!
10-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reality_Check Quote
Yikes! That is a bad deal. What kind of batteries do you use? I do use some cheap batteries for my wireless shutter release, and I take those out every time I'm done using them. However, when it comes to my external flashes, I only use Eneloop batteries. They're very expensive, but they're very good. The last wedding I shot as a 2nd shooter - the primary photographer who brought about 16 batteries was terrified that none of them were any good. She used my spare set of Eneloop (which totally saved the day!) and went out & bought a few sets of her own shortly thereafter!
I just was using bog standard Duracell batteries. The same batteries unsued in the bag are still good, just the ones that were in electronics went bad.
10-17-2019, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
I got my lighting equipment out of storage last night after putting it away for a year. I have a potential headshot session coming up and needed to check the gear out. I discovered much to my horror that I had foolishly left batteries in all my equipment, and the batteries had exploded inside the speedlights and one of their triggers. Two Yongnuo lights down the tubes: they won't power on, even with fresh batteries. Fortunately they are cheapish and I can replace them without too much pain.

Extra fortunately, the batteries inside my Godox Witstro controller didn't explode -- dodged a bullet, there, that would have hurt.
Sorry to hear that

After reading a few horror stories over the years, I now store all of my cameras and ancillary equipment with the batteries removed - at least, I do if they're going to be left unused for more than a couple of weeks at a time, and if I remember (which I generally do). With cameras, it's a pain because they need the date and time setting when next used, but so be it.

I also check the physical condition of batteries before charging to see if the cases are bulging or cracked, and during charging for excessive heat. In either case, I'll dispose of the offending battery (responsibly, of course). In the last three or four years I've disposed of one bulging battery (genuine Canon branded for a G10) and two that became disconcertingly hot during charging (a genuine Panasonic battery for my DMC-FZ62 bridge camera, and a reputable third party battery for my A7 MkII). It's not many, but enough to justify caution.

I don't charge batteries overnight, and I don't leave them charging any longer than is necessary, to reduce fire risks. I'm not obsessive about checking them, but once I see they're ready, I take them out of the charger and unplug it...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-17-2019 at 01:40 PM.
10-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, a sad fact that today's AA batteries are prone to leaking alkaline goo all over the insides of our equipment.

First off, they're generally not as well made as they used to be. They are much, much cheaper than they used to be. I remember as a high school student working part time in a hardware store where a pair of AA's would cost nearly $3.00. Every now and again they would go on sale for $1.99 a pair. The notion that we'd see 12 packs or 24 packs going for bargain prices seemed impossible.

Every now and again, I come across some very old Duracells or Energizers in some ancient piece of equipment - and they often haven't leaked. Newer ones, made in the last 15 years or so, leak like crazy, especially the cheaper brands. Part of this is because of the battles to come up with the longest lasting battery. Chemistry is part of it, but also stuffing more electrolyte into a thinner, cheaper casing also works.

I also notice those "titanium" batteries disappeared from the market pretty quickly. I saw horrific leakage in a few instances with those, and vowed to never put them in my equipment.

Rechargeable NiMH batteries are the best bet for expensive electronics. Not only are they resuable, but they won't leak anything corrosive.

Lithium AA's are superb (although I do often see one battery in a pack of four die before the others). They don't leak, and they go and go. Unfortunately, they're pretty costly. But if you're going on a once in a lifetime trip where recharging batteries isn't easy, they're the way to go.
10-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just was using bog standard Duracell batteries. The same batteries unsued in the bag are still good, just the ones that were in electronics went bad.
I have wondered whether some of the circuits in my flashes remain live to slowly drain the batteries even when powered down. For example, there is currently (pun!) 4.5V across the main hot shoe contact on my Sigma EF610 DG Super despite it having been turned off for several days.

Steve
10-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have wondered whether some of the circuits in my flashes remain live to slowly drain the batteries even when powered down. For example, there is currently (pun!) 4.5V across the main hot shoe contact on my Sigma EF610 DG Super despite it having been turned off for several days.

Steve
Oh always assumed they were still drawing power. I normally remove the batteries when out of use. Of course the one time I totally forget is the one time I leave them alone for a year!

10-17-2019, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Every now and again, I come across some very old Duracells or Energizers in some ancient piece of equipment - and they often haven't leaked. Newer ones, made in the last 15 years or so, leak like crazy, especially the cheaper brands. Part of this is because of the battles to come up with the longest lasting battery. Chemistry is part of it, but also stuffing more electrolyte into a thinner, cheaper casing also works.
I've had both modern Duracell and Energizer alkaline AAs and AAAs leak. In fact, the remote control units for my DVD player (yes, I still have one), digital TV box (yes, one of those too - although no longer used) and my previous main TV all had reputable brand alkaline batteries leak in them. And I'd agree, the older versions of premium brand batteries seemed to be much less prone to it. Cheap brands, sure - but Duracells and Energizers used to be less prone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I also notice those "titanium" batteries disappeared from the market pretty quickly. I saw horrific leakage in a few instances with those, and vowed to never put them in my equipment.

Rechargeable NiMH batteries are the best bet for expensive electronics. Not only are they resuable, but they won't leak anything corrosive.

Lithium AA's are superb (although I do often see one battery in a pack of four die before the others). They don't leak, and they go and go. Unfortunately, they're pretty costly. But if you're going on a once in a lifetime trip where recharging batteries isn't easy, they're the way to go.
I now use good quality branded NiMH batteries in any equipment that will operate satisfactorily with them. I've never had them leak. I've had a couple of the higher capacity Eneloops go bad to the point where they won't fully charge... but other than that, they've been fine...
10-17-2019, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear about your loss.

There are two unpleasant issues with modern batteries in modern devices:

First, a lot of modern devices have a circuit-controlled or software-controlled on-off buttons or switches rather than a physical mechanical switch that disconnects the battery entirely. Those devices will always draw some power just to run the on/off button.

A second challenge comes from accidentally mixing old and new or charged and used batteries. If a device contains say 3 strong batteries and one weak battery, the weak battery will go to ZERO volts first. But instead of shutting off, the device is likely to continue functioning on the remaining three strong batteries. The three remaining batteries actually start charging the weak battery in the opposite direction, driving that battery to have a negative voltage, increasing the chance of leakage, and damaging the battery (if it is rechargeable).

The last challenge can be managed by keeping batteries together in sets, numbered with permanent marker.
10-17-2019, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh always assumed they were still drawing power. I normally remove the batteries when out of use. Of course the one time I totally forget is the one time I leave them alone for a year! :o
Don't beat yourself up over it Despite my best intentions, I occasionally forget and leave batteries in something. I was tidying my study / hobby room a few days ago and re-organised my camera, lens and accessory storage. While doing so, I checked to make sure there were no batteries in any of my gear. Lo and behold, my old K-5 had its battery fitted, and so did two of my inexpensive manual flash units. I haven't used those items for three months or more, so it's good fortune that the batteries were OK...
10-17-2019, 02:49 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

P.S. One storage trick I sometimes use is to make a tiny strip of thin flexible plastic about as wide as a battery and a few centimeters or couple of inches long, insert that strip between a battery and one of the contacts in the device, and then close the battery compartment with the strip dangling out of the compartment. The strip is basically like a "remove-before-use" protective piece such as they used in toner cartridges or little electronic devices. The strip keeps the batteries from draining but also means that the device can be ready to use without remembering to bring batteries.
10-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
P.S. One storage trick I sometimes use is to make a tiny strip of thin flexible plastic about as wide as a battery and a few centimeters or couple of inches long, insert that strip between a battery and one of the contacts in the device, and then close the battery compartment with the strip dangling out of the compartment. The strip is basically like a "remove-before-use" protective piece such as they used in toner cartridges or little electronic devices. The strip keeps the batteries from draining but also means that the device can be ready to use without remembering to bring batteries.
That's an *awesome* idea! I have a couple of unused plastic screen protector foils that would be perfect for cutting down into strips
10-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
P.S. One storage trick I sometimes use is to make a tiny strip of thin flexible plastic about as wide as a battery and a few centimeters or couple of inches long, insert that strip between a battery and one of the contacts in the device, and then close the battery compartment with the strip dangling out of the compartment...
That is a very cool idea and quite a bit easier than having to load each flash before doing a session.

Steve
10-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great idea!
10-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Yeah, have I've heard plenty of horror stories of photographers who have found an old film camera that still had a battery in it and right after throwing out the battery it exploded, or even worse the battery exploded while taking it out (if I remember correctly I think that happened to a forum member here & he (?) got hurt from it.).