Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2019, 03:34 AM   #31
Unregistered User

I've found that some electrical equipment can be saved by washing its innards with ordinary white vinegar - the acetic acid makes the alkaline crud foam up and wash away. Follow up with clear water and let the device dry out thoroughly. Almost always works for me.

10-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I've found that some electrical equipment can be saved by washing its innards with ordinary white vinegar - the acetic acid makes the alkaline crud foam up and wash away. Follow up with clear water and let the device dry out thoroughly. Almost always works for me.
I'll give it a try, even though I already ordered the replacements!
10-18-2019, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Thanks for that tip - would Stop Bath work ? I've more of that in stock than vinegar !
10-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #34

Baking Soda will neutralize the battery residue and helps clean contacts. I have successfully used that for decades.

10-18-2019, 02:39 PM - 3 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Thanks for that tip - would Stop Bath work ? I've more of that in stock than vinegar !
LOL!

Wouldn't Fixer be better for any broken photographic equipment?

Last edited by photoptimist; 10-19-2019 at 05:32 AM.
10-18-2019, 02:45 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
LOL!

Wouldn't Fixer better for any broken photographic equipment?
Five yard penalty for use of a pun. Lol.
10-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
Baking Soda will neutralize the battery residue and helps clean contacts. I have successfully used that for decades.
How do you apply it?

10-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wings Quote
FWIW, the leakage is an alkaline, like baking soda. A mild acid like vinegar neutralizes and dissolves it. Until recently, I thought it was acid leaking and used a baking soda paste to neutralize it. It sort of seemed to clean it (probably the abrasiveness of the baking soda). Vinegar works much faster though.
10-18-2019, 11:00 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
How do you apply it?
Baking soda is regularly used to neutralize battery and clean battery terminals on car batteries which is easy to do. What I do for electronics is to wet a small amount of baking soda and depending upon the compartment size you can use a cloth or q-tips to go over the contacts and wipe down the compartment area. You want to avoid getting liquid into areas that you might not be able to access. If you can disassemble some parts it might make it easier. Baking soda is very effective and it doesn’t take much to neutralize the battery residue and will not harm any electronics. Once you are satisfied with the cleaning then follow up with a dampened cloth etc.

Personally, I would not use vinegar for this because it is a mild acid, actually ascetic acid, and as a liquid could seep onto electronics that you might not be able to reach and if left on it for a period it could possibly etch circuit boards. If you do use it then follow up with a dampened cloth with water or better yet distilled water.

By the way, you might consider using nitrile gloves if there is a battery leak that you are cleaning, but if you don’t then put a small amount of baking soda in your hands to neutralize it.
10-19-2019, 03:49 AM   #40
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Well, yes, it's essentially the same thing, but... The acetic acid concentration is much higher (generally used at 28% or so), while vinegar is generally in the 4%-5% range. I don't know what the higher concentration of acid would do to the (alkaline metal) parts. If what you've got is "glacial" acetic acid, that's almost full strength (98-99%). If it's already prepared, it's probably 28%. Either way, you could dilute it with water to make vinegar (though I wouldn't use it on a salad).
10-20-2019, 06:21 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
White vinegar and q-tips did the job!!
10-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #42

+1 to white vinegar and q-tips. Just make sure to wear gloves if you've got sensitive skin.
10-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #43
Pentaxian

with ordinary white vinegar
vinegar works great!! as does some baking soda in water....vinegar is more convenient .....have revived a several battery compartments on old film cameras (even just getting the battery covers off) and a few flashes...……

I do try to remove every battery that is loaded in my light gear.....they get loaded on site outta the bag and unloaded going back in