Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2019, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

1) A bunch of social media friends said "Wouldn't it be fun to get a flash mob to up-vote a dumb image on Sony's dumb contest?"
This /\

In the UK it is now known as the Boaty McBoatface Factor

Boaty McBoatface - Wikipedia

10-18-2019, 02:04 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is bizarre for sure (image is Ok but award winning?) - may be there was some weird theme to the competition that this meets?
10-18-2019, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The kind of RAW image I wouldn't even bother to post-process. Pretty sure wouldn't even give it a star rating. Sorry if I'm being negative.
10-19-2019, 03:53 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, I still don't get it. I've tried sqinting at the image or bunging a degree of Gaussian blur on it to spot some compositional wheeze, some flow of highlights or shadows, some hidden framework; all to no avail. Perhaps if I read Japanese the signage would enlighten me, or maybe in blurred form some semblance to a Kanji script message in Japanese can be discerned, but that apart its merits have me baffled.

Maybe the original was shot on a new A7R4 and is unbelievably sharp and detailed – when printed to 6m x 9m! It's still no justification for inclusion as a finalist — dull is still dull, dull dull. Yawn.

10-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The plot thickens

I've searched for this dude Ryosuke Takamura and found his website: he's very earnest. It's apparently Street photography, which accounts for the image of the street... He's on Instagram too, but I'm unlikely to follow him – you might like his stuff but it's much too obscure for me.

Obviously there's some fine art groove going on, which is why we mere mortals don't get it, obviously.