Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
German lenses are about to get more expensive in the USA

German Camera Lenses May Be 25%+ More Expensive After Friday

Please steer any discussion away from the political aspects. How many of us buy German made lenses that are affected? I think all my lenses are Japanese.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-18-2019 at 02:25 PM.
10-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

ouch
10-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
German Camera Lenses May Be 25%+ More Expensive After Friday

Please steer any discussion away from the political aspects. How many of us buy German made lenses that are affected? I think all my lenses are Japanese.
Hmmm...German lenses...

...(thinking, thinking, thinking)...

Made in Germany Schneider?
Made in Germany Zeiss?
Made in Germany Leitz?
Rodenstock?
Made in Germany Hartblei?

I think I am pretty well taken care of in terms of the products from any of those companies with no intention to purchase new in the next decade or so.

Steve
10-18-2019, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I interpret "access." rightly to mean accessories, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 25 % price hike on B + W filters, which seem to be fairly well-received in the US, too?

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-18-2019 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Politics
10-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
If I interpret "access." rightly to mean accessories, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 25 % price hike on B + W filters, which seem to be well-received in the US, too?
10-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
German lenses are about to get more expensive
Not in Germany they are not !!
10-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Its worth noting that this affects those living in the USA only - for readers outside of the USA.

10-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Heliopan (filters, long-time competitors of B + W), Rollei accessories, Meyer Görlitz lenses, ...
10-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

How many of us buy German made lenses that are affected?
How about Japanese (via China) lenses AND cameras AND all the other photography related goodies.
10-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
If I interpret "access." rightly to mean accessories, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 25 % price hike on B + W filters, which seem to be fairly well-received in the US, too?
We will see how the distributors manage this. There was plenty of advance warning and the buzz is that many distributors have been stockpiling to buffer the impact.

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Its worth noting that this affects those living in the USA only - for readers outside of the USA.
It affects anyone buying from a dealer that gets their stock from a U.S. importer. As a result, Canadians may also be paying higher prices depending on who they buy from. Edit: The official distributor for B+W in Canada is Red Raven Marketing in Ontario.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-18-2019 at 02:05 PM.
10-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
How about Japanese (via China) lenses AND cameras AND all the other photography related goodies.
? The article only is about the EU tariffs if there are tarrifs going in on Chinese and Japanese products for photography it would probably be useful to start a thread about that.

---------- Post added 10-18-19 at 05:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Fixed the title to reflect this. Thanks.

---------- Post added 10-18-19 at 05:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Not in Germany they are not !!
Lol. True.
10-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #12
2B1
Forum Member

Are these taxes imposed on EU sourced products and not Germany specifically, as Scots Whisky. has also been penalised.
My understanding is that German made lens sold within the EU , are exempt from this increase.

Although post Brexit , this situation may change....Brexit= the UK is leaving the EU, and taxation may change.

Regards.
10-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

No , No, No

QuoteQuote:
A 25% tariff on single malt Scotch whisky exports to the United States is being introduced on Friday

What impact will US tariffs have on Scotch whisky? - BBC News

please tell me I am having a nightmare
10-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

? The article only is about the EU tariffs if there are tariffs going in on Chinese and Japanese products for photography it would probably be useful to start a thread about that.
The problem with Chinese-made memory and batteries is that they often are just assembled in China - the 'guts' is often made in Japan; I haven't been able to get a clear answer on how they would be taxed .... I don't purchase other Chinese-made photo products.
10-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 2B1 Quote
Are these taxes imposed on EU sourced products and not Germany specifically, as Scots Whisky. has also been penalised.
My understanding is that German made lens sold within the EU , are exempt from this increase.

Although post Brexit , this situation may change....Brexit= the UK is leaving the EU, and taxation may change.

Regards.
It applies to imported to USA lenses from EU countries of origin. Other products are affected but that isn't the focus of the article.