Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #16
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
I agree about the robustness of Pelican cases. I've got a couple of them already for my astro gear. My daily driver is a LowePro 250, and I have a love/hate relationship with it. A larger backpack that can convert to a rolling one is what I'm looking for. I think LowePro makes one.

As I'm in So Cal and it doesn't rain a lot here, and the photo day is likely to be clear, I'm less concerned about the bag being waterproof.
Harbor Freight also carries a much less expensive brand that has similar features for a LOT less money. Apache even has a rolling case similar to the Pelican.

10-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Harbor Freight also carries a much less expensive brand that has similar features for a LOT less money. Apache even has a rolling case similar to the Pelican.
I've not found Harbor Freight gear all that durable, but it might suffice for this, my main concern about Pelican type cases, is the weight. @ 13lbs with foam, I think it's a bit heavy. By the time I add my gear, I'm looking at approximately 20lbs to haul around. That's a bit much IMO.
10-30-2019, 03:35 PM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Pelican Pelicase 1510 Carry On Case
+1... I use several of these for the transit of kit, before I decant it into my shooting bag (currently a Billingham 445).
10-31-2019, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several of the zoos here restrict what can be taken indoors with you... no tripods and even baby strollers need to be left outside the building. A rolling pack may be an issue. I would definitely check with the zoo.as others have suggested.

Sounds we may be seeing some great pics from you soon.. Have fun!
Al

10-31-2019, 07:13 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not one for brand loyalty but have used my USA gear for three years now, too and from home and college and holidays. It's still looks good, very little wear on the metal clips, but the material is still like new. The stitching is all in place, no scuff marks visible on the underside despite it living on floors and dirty college tables. Even the side pockets look good where I keep spare batteries. So yes, take a look at USAgear line of bags. Then the only option to make is what colour design do you want?
10-31-2019, 03:17 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Several of the zoos here restrict what can be taken indoors with you... no tripods and even baby strollers need to be left outside the building. A rolling pack may be an issue. I would definitely check with the zoo.as others have suggested.

Sounds we may be seeing some great pics from you soon.. Have fun!
Al
Inside a building yes strollers are sometimes not allowed. But as this is a special event for photographers, I'm expecting certain rules/restrictions to be waived. I've brought Tripods into the LA Zoo in the past with no issues as well as into the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.

I may swap my Carbon One Tripod for a Video Monopod that has feet that fold up and down for lightness sake.
11-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, my search is over. I wound up getting a new Think Tank roller backpack for $230.00 It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but Samy's Camera in Costa Mesa knocked $50.00 off the $289.00 retail. Everything I need will fit in it, and I can wear it and roll it when necessary.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.